Well, Today---IS THE DAY!

At 12 minutes past mid-night last night I turned 79 years old!

Officially I'm a senile old man now who doesn't give a hoot about much of anything!
But in my mind I'm still 35-40 years old, and the Mayo Clinic says in my body's system I'm about 68! So can it be any better for a "senile 79 year old man"?

My Son gave me an awesome birthday gift---a really high-end set of earphones that lets me tune in our local classical music station free of all background noises! This lets my inner-ears separate probably about 80% of the instruments sounds---this won't register with those who have no hearing damage, but to those like me--and I'm betting there are millions of "us"--this is a blessing!

I'm betting there are millions---you cannot have your head stuck in a deck gun mount, or be just a few feet from a SAM leaving the deck, or put up with close-in aircraft engines or even small arms range fire and not suffer some degree of hearing damage! So---if you do have a hearing loss problem with inner-ear damage like this, get a set of these top-end headphones and enjoy really good music----AGAIN!

Replies

• billybobbillybob Posts: 676 Officer
    Congrats Woods. I hit 55 yesterday. Nice knowing I could retire early with some money coming in. Checkbook and wife's health says not yet though
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,949 AG
    Happy Bday Woodsrunner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 79 is the new 59!!!!
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,039 Captain
    Happy Birthday, youngun'.
    I think you should go fish... smile!
    God, save the South!
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 2,902 Captain
    Happy Birthday
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,501 Captain
    Happy Birthday
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,556 Captain
    Happy Birthday, all the work you still do makes me think you're in better shape than I am. I'm only 62.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,206 Captain
    Happy birthday Mr Rich, I hope you can get to the surf soon. Congrats on the present. I have a pair for when I rarely travel and they are really something.
    You should have been here yesterday
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 1,867 Captain
    I'll post the info a little later this evening!

Phone has rung three times this morning: 120 pounds of grits to deliver ASAP, and all I have ground is 40 pounds! Think I'll work a little on my birthday :grin!

Got a nice Merry Christmas greeting from Garth Brooks! Gotta send him some of my new "smoked grits" to see if he likes these as well as the regular grits!
  • BayBobBayBob Posts: 719 Officer
    Best wishes sir! Good headphone are a joy for us older folks who spent days on the range at Ft. Benning and other GI sites.
    Hey BayBob!

Ft. Benning was named after Confederate General Henry Benning (I'm sure that you knew this) and so far no move has been made to change the name--never mind! Anyhow:

My great grandmother's oldest sister married Gen. Benning's youngest son (or brother, not sure which) and raised 5 or 6 kids in a long lived family around Columbus, Ga! Still have Benning kinfolks in the area.
    My Grandfather was in the 69th infantry at Fort Benning, he served as Col. James P Irvine under McArthur during WWII in Germany. He is the first soldier to cross the Rhine.
    Japan & Korea were also in his service.
    I grew up in Columbus Ga as a kid after moving from Leesburg.
    My mother still lives in Columbus.

600 GI's attend Jewish Synagogue on every Sunday morning. My mother participates in serving them Bagels with cream cheese or peanut butter after service.

If a young man does not attend service on Sunday morning, they have to perform a work detail.
    The Jewish service is the only one serving starch goodness after service.

It's a real hit!
    God, save the South!
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 4,956 Captain
    I have the hearing loss and I'm 54.
    Shooting firearms all my life with no hearing protection and then serving on a small ship with 2 LM-2500 Gas Turbine engines as well as other diesel machines and noise making devices took it's toll.
    I worked at the Chapel during work week at basic training and was introduced to my first lox and bagels after the Jewish Service.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,139 Admiral
    Happy Birthday !!!
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,482 Officer
    Happy Birthday Mr. woodsrunner!!
    Mine was this past Saturday. I turned 59.
    I hope I can be as active as you when (if) I hit 79.
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
    My Grandfather loved Lox & Bagels! Maybe that's where he got a fondness for them...
    Thanks Dewey!

Learned something new
    God, save the South!
  • BayBobBayBob Posts: 719 Officer
    The Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning has an incredible small arms collection and is well worth a trip.

Mr. Rich tell us more about these smoked grits you speak of, sounds wonderful.
  • BodineBodine Posts: 2,870 Captain
    HBD sir, ya old fart, and many more to come I am sure.:wink
    F the feds
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 1,850 Captain
    Happy Birthday ...

Glad to say my hearing loss is minimal ...

Don't need earphones ... yet.

( Started wearing foam plugs at concerts back around 1972. )

Before he passed, Chuck Berry wore an enormous pair of earphone hearing aids.

They looked like something out of a sci-fy movie ... but only offstage.

Decades of Rock & Roll had taken their toll.

His monthly local shows were filled with fans our age, and older.
    My Grandfather was in the 69th infantry at Fort Benning, he served as Col. James P Irvine under McArthur during WWII in Germany. He is the first soldier to cross the Rhine.
    Japan & Korea were also in his service.
    I grew up in Columbus Ga as a kid after moving from Leesburg.
    My mother still lives in Columbus.

600 GI's attend Jewish Synagogue on every Sunday morning. My mother participates in serving them Bagels with cream cheese or peanut butter after service.

If a young man does not attend service on Sunday morning, they have to perform a work detail.
    The Jewish service is the only one serving starch goodness after service.

It's a real hit!

Don't you mean Saturday?

Have never, ever, heard of a Jewish service on a Sunday.
    Happy Birthday ...

Glad to say my hearing loss is minimal ...

Don't need earphones ... yet.

( Started wearing foam plugs at concerts back around 1972. )

Before he passed, Chuck Berry wore an enormous pair of earphone hearing aids.

They looked like something out of a sci-fy movie ... but only offstage.

Decades of Rock & Roll had taken their toll.

His monthly local shows were filled with fans our age, and older.
  • HubcapHubcap Posts: 32 Greenhorn
    Happy Birthday Woods! Hope you finished up that extra grind and can put your feet up for a minute or two.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,696 Captain
    Happy Birthday :Rockon
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,287 Officer
    Happy birthday Woods! I’ve always enjoyed your storys.
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • Old DogOld Dog Posts: 525 Officer
    Hope you had a Happy Birthday!
    OD
  • fsuwxmanfsuwxman Posts: 1,247 Officer
    Happy birthday! Out of curiosity how’d you get tied in with Garth?
    2015 FS Northwest Forum NASCAR Champion
    I don't know him. Never spoken to him. He and his chief song writer (the guy who wrote "I Have Friends In Low Places") were in Panama City at a country music festival a year or so ago, and found Bumpy Road Grits/Cornmeal in the Pigley-Wigley in Appalachicola while wandering around the Forgotten Coast. He-they-liked 'em, contacted me, and every 3-4 months I send up a box to keep them going. It is through this one purchase that the Kroger Stores in Tennessee queried me about supplying the Tennessee Stores, but there are 87 stores, and I couldn't do THAT!

I'm sending up a few pounds of my Cherry Wood Smoked Grits/Cornmeal tomorrow to see how they like these.

Also, I'm in the process of building a simple Appalachian Mountain Smokehouse, and will soon be smoking a couple hundred pounds a week. I've got a "bull-by-the-horns" with this total Grits/Cornmeal business, and its shaking hell out of me! The secret is old heirloom non-gmo corn grown high up in the Appalachian Mountains--there IS a taste difference, and its disease-bug free from growing high up!
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,043 AG
    Happy Birthday. I know I have some hearing lost or so my wife tries to tell me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    Happy birthday Mr Rich, and I wish you many more. I turned 46 on 12/2...us December babies gotta stick together!
  • fsuwxmanfsuwxman Posts: 1,247 Officer
    I don't know him. Never spoken to him. He and his chief song writer (the guy who wrote "I Have Friends In Low Places") were in Panama City at a country music festival a year or so ago, and found Bumpy Road Grits/Cornmeal in the Pigley-Wigley in Appalachicola while wandering around the Forgotten Coast. He-they-liked 'em, contacted me, and every 3-4 months I send up a box to keep them going. It is through this one purchase that the Kroger Stores in Tennessee queried me about supplying the Tennessee Stores, but there are 87 stores, and I couldn't do THAT!

I'm sending up a few pounds of my Cherry Wood Smoked Grits/Cornmeal tomorrow to see how they like these.

Also, I'm in the process of building a simple Appalachian Mountain Smokehouse, and will soon be smoking a couple hundred pounds a week. I've got a "bull-by-the-horns" with this total Grits/Cornmeal business, and its shaking hell out of me! The secret is old heirloom non-gmo corn grown high up in the Appalachian Mountains--there IS a taste difference, and its disease-bug free from growing high up!

Really cool. Amazing how things like this happen. I know why he likes em’...I get a bag from southern seafood at least once a month (if not more). You CAN absolutely taste the difference and I won’t eat grits these days unless they’re Bumpy Road grits.

Would love to try the cherry smoked...will you have these for sale at southern or should I get up with you directly?
    2015 FS Northwest Forum NASCAR Champion
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,362 Captain
    Tell me more about these smoked grits! And congrats.