Your Go-To Brand for Inshore Rods

Can be a couple brands if you like.

Replies

• jcbonejcbone Posts: 49 Greenhorn
    I use multiple Hurricane Redbone rods and Star Rods inshore and they are my favorite combos paired with shimano stradic 3000's and 4000's with 10-15-20lb invisibraid depending on which setup and where I am fishing....flats, structure, bridges, etc. Both rods are lifetime warranties which is a plus!
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 536 Officer
    St Croix, star rods and I picked up a couple calico Jack's last week for running charters, man what nice action for a $60 rod!
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 550 Officer
    Like the others St Croix and Star Rod however I also have a Black Tip from West Marine which I like a lot as well.
  • marexmarex Posts: 160 Deckhand
    Best bang for the buck: Calico Jack. These rods are plenty to handle any inshore fishing with the exception of large tarpon, cobia, sharks, etc. One could fish their whole life with these rods and do just fine.

Personal favorite: G Loomis E6X. Very good for throwing artificials and made in America. Very light, sensitive and extremely strong. The 7'6" 8-14 lb spinning is an excellent all around rod and is deceptively capable of handling larger fish. My personal favorite for throwing soft plastics and free-lined live bait is the 7'6" 6-12 lb; though it's not the best choice for hard baits or larger live baits (i.e. large pinfish). That's where the 8-14 lb shines.
  • FlfjackFlfjack Posts: 646 Officer
    Star
    East Boynton
    IG jack.bbi
  • RJMurphy4142RJMurphy4142 Posts: 108 Deckhand
    I have the following inshore setups

2 7' Medium Light calico jack rods on Sedona 2500's
    2 7'6" Medium calico jack rods on Sedona 3000's
    1 7'6" star rod on Sedona 4000
    2 7' Medium Red Bones on Spinfisher 4500's (pink 12 lb ande for yellowtail only rods)
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,206 Officer
    Calico Jack for store bought rods.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,779 Captain
    From cheapest to most expensive... what I normally get:
    Calico Jack
    Hurricane Redbone
    Star (delux or stellar lite)
    Shimano Terramar
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • dbourbondbourbon Posts: 110 Deckhand
    St Croix Legend Xtreme inshore
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,275 AG
    My St Croixs always break just as the 5 year warranty expires.

My very very old Ugly Stick lights with cork grips are still holding strong.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,388 Admiral
    1. st.croix avid inshore 7' medium fast
    2. star seagis SK817FT70 or stellar 7' medium fast
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 610 Officer
    Ugly stik or whatever penn rod comes with their combos- battle 2 for light stuff, spinfisher for heavier-its basically a free rod!
    we need more internet money
  • vs-MA21vs-MA21 Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    From my favorite to least favorite... These are what I'm currently use.

1. Cape Fear Advance Tech- 7'0" 8-17 (I know old school but I love it!)
    2. Crowder E-Series- 7'0" 12-25 (Big Snook, In-shore Gags, and Medium Tarpon)
    3. Diamond Professional Design- 7'0" 10-20 (Don't know much about this rod but it's really light and has great action... I like it almost as much as the Cape Fear)
    4. St. Croix TideMaster- 7'0" 8-17 (seems flimsy compared to the Cape Fear)
    5. GLoomis GL3 6'6" 8-15 (don't use it much because of the short length)

If I could find more of the Cape Fear AdvanceTech rods I'd buy them all!!!
  • FlecFlec Posts: 501 Officer
    No wonder ****'s is always out of stock on Calico Jacks. The word is definitely out. Glad I received another one for Christmas!
  • Bout TimeBout Time Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    G. Loomis Pro-Green PGR942S Spinning Rod - 7'10" Line Weight 6-12(lb) Lure Weight 1/8-3/8(oz) Medium Power Fast Action and paired it with a Ci4 3000. It's amazing the feel and strength it has to handle big fish. I like the Falcon med/light coastal for its action and proper loading on trout. Can't say they are the best all around quality compared to others in their price range though.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,272 Moderator
    I build my own, Rainshadow blanks
  • farside88farside88 Posts: 478 Deckhand
    St. Croix and Star to a lesser extent. I like Star for bottom fishing/trolling. The eyes on the deluxe rods are great for taking new fishermen out.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 2,397 Captain
    St Croix or Crowder
  • PROFINITYPROFINITY Posts: 193 Deckhand
    I am using Cape Fear (no longer in business) and G. Loomis (now ****mano).
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,010 Officer
    Calico Jack and Star Seagis for 6-12 lb. spinning outfits. Shimano Compre and Claris for 4 lb. I have many others, including custom sticks, but these are my go-to spinning rods.
  • WC53WC53 Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    Looking at something cheaper for when I take the kayak in the brush.. thoughts on the inshore select vs the Calico jack for 2k-2500 size reels? Broke my Falcon a few weeks back and still waiting on the warantee replacement. Inshore salt only, typically use 6-12lb
    "Reality, the bane of ICC everywhere."
  • greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 424 Deckhand
    As said above, I would also like to know what others thoughts are on the Ugly Stick Inshore Select Rods?
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,010 Captain
    I build my own, Rainshadow blanks

X2, Batson is a great blank. I also wrap some sr croix SCv. Fuji components
  • badonskybuccaneersbadonskybuccaneers Posts: 123 Officer
    My Go to inshore rods have varied over the years- but the best ones are as follows...
    A good starter and a "just hard to beat" rod is the Shakespeare Ugly Stick inshore rods- When they added the split handle inshore series we got a few and liked them. Recently Ugly Stick as done some upgrading on their guides- big plus! Best bang for your buck and can usually take a beating! My only issue I ever had with the Ugly Stick was the overall weight compared to the rods I currently use on a regular basis- and as I am getting older and primarily casting artificials, and casting a lot! That's becoming a bigger deal to me now! Anyway- grayreefshark, I hope this was helpful to you.
    Several years ago I tried a Falcon Coastal XG rod- and really grew fond of it, but not many places along the Alabama Gulf Coast carries them. Needless to say, I still carry one as my "go-to" trout rod- and think they are a great rod, it won't break the bank, and an overall good investment!
    In the last couple years I have paired some of my Quantum inshore reels with Fenwick HMG rods- a few different sizes for different fishing situations. They are not terribly expensive and have been a great addition to my inshore arsenal. A good friend of mine who works at a locally owned tackle shop, and is kinda a fishing guru, put me on to them- and after trying one, I went back and picked up a couple more.
    Everyone has their favorite brands of equipment, and good reasons why they like them. Without being long-winded, these are mine. Hope someone finds the information useful.
  • badonskybuccaneersbadonskybuccaneers Posts: 123 Officer
    WC53 wrote: »
    Looking at something cheaper for when I take the kayak in the brush.. thoughts on the inshore select vs the Calico jack for 2k-2500 size reels? Broke my Falcon a few weeks back and still waiting on the warantee replacement. Inshore salt only, typically use 6-12lb
    As said above, I would also like to know what others thoughts are on the Ugly Stick Inshore Select Rods?

See my post above... otherwise, as a quick response.... I don't see how you can go too wrong with the Ugly Stick if you want something durable and inexpensive. We have owned several over the years- from surf rods to the Inshore Select. Some claim they don't have the sensitivity for some inshore fishing, but they have quite a variety. If you can find a store with big enough stock and variety- you should be able to find one to your liking.
    JMHO
    I have a couple of Ugly Stick Elite rods and I like them a lot. Both are 7'; one is 6-14lb and the other is 8-17lb.
    Sorry one more comment on the Ugly Stick Elites. The two I have I use for fresh water fishing....Northern Pike, Walleye and Bass. I use them with live shiners as well as spoons and crank baits.
  • WC53WC53 Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    Ran into a small **** sporting goods store today. Not a single Calico Jack in any flavor to be found. They had a few of the uglies stick inshore selects, but only in the mh/h weights. They looked pretty nice for the money. Did pick up a triumph 6ft ml for my wife and a 1000 sized reel.
    "Reality, the bane of ICC everywhere."
  • greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 424 Deckhand
    Great info on all the rods, and especially the Ugly Stik Inshore selects guys! 😊👍
  • Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,325 Officer
    dbourbon wrote: »
    St Croix Legend Xtreme inshore

X2