Replies

• JWTJWT Posts: 716 Officer

@JWT said:

@Ol'DirtyCaster said:

@JWT said:

@Ol'DirtyCaster said:

@Skinny Running said:

@lemaymiami said:

As a result folks began snelling their tarpon flies - so you left the first half inch of the hook, just behind the hook eye - bare to facilitate snelling...

Interesting.. I didn't know that was the reason for it.

I always assumed it was just an easy way to carry a 2" profile on a 1/0 hook. I've never seen anyone snell a tarpon fly.

snelling with a heavy leader creates a rigid link & will make the hook dig. taking a sharp fly snelled to 60# & drag it across your leg & it will bite. anymore i use lighter stuff & really don't care too much if they stay on after the first couple jumps:)

It also creates an offset unless you're using a hook with an upturned eye. I'm thinking my leg is pretty safe. I trust Bob, I'm sure that when he says guys used to do this, they absolutely did. You, not so much.

for someone that had no knowledge of this before this thread you seem to be an authority now. let me help you. a properly snelled tarpon fly the leader does not go thru the hook eye. the leader will exit the hook just under the eye creating a straight pull. the hook eye just creates a "bump" that wont allow the snell to slip off the front of the hook. there is no "offset" as you state. i am sure i have some old rigs around & i can send you pictures of some old flies if you cant picture the concept. tie a sharp hook like this & you will not be able to drag it across your skin before it takes a bite! i don't use it any more because the fish have become too pressured for heavy leaders. i use ridiculously light stuff any more & am happy if i get a couple of jumps.

If your definition includes being paid, endorsed, and published, than I've been an authority for a very long time.

well that was kind of rude. i just re-read my post & i did not mean to be so confrontational. didn't mean to come off like i was questioning your knowledge, but it did. my sincere apologies. 

• Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,373 Captain
    JWT said:

@JWT said:

@Ol'DirtyCaster said:

@JWT said:

@Ol'DirtyCaster said:

@Skinny Running said:

@lemaymiami said:

As a result folks began snelling their tarpon flies - so you left the first half inch of the hook, just behind the hook eye - bare to facilitate snelling...

Interesting.. I didn't know that was the reason for it.

I always assumed it was just an easy way to carry a 2" profile on a 1/0 hook. I've never seen anyone snell a tarpon fly.

snelling with a heavy leader creates a rigid link & will make the hook dig. taking a sharp fly snelled to 60# & drag it across your leg & it will bite. anymore i use lighter stuff & really don't care too much if they stay on after the first couple jumps:)

It also creates an offset unless you're using a hook with an upturned eye. I'm thinking my leg is pretty safe. I trust Bob, I'm sure that when he says guys used to do this, they absolutely did. You, not so much.

for someone that had no knowledge of this before this thread you seem to be an authority now. let me help you. a properly snelled tarpon fly the leader does not go thru the hook eye. the leader will exit the hook just under the eye creating a straight pull. the hook eye just creates a "bump" that wont allow the snell to slip off the front of the hook. there is no "offset" as you state. i am sure i have some old rigs around & i can send you pictures of some old flies if you cant picture the concept. tie a sharp hook like this & you will not be able to drag it across your skin before it takes a bite! i don't use it any more because the fish have become too pressured for heavy leaders. i use ridiculously light stuff any more & am happy if i get a couple of jumps.

If your definition includes being paid, endorsed, and published, than I've been an authority for a very long time.

well that was kind of rude. i just re-read my post & i did not mean to be so confrontational. didn't mean to come off like i was questioning your knowledge, but it did. my sincere apologies. 

Honestly I was more concerned with impressionable forum members nail knotting their tarpon flies, lol! And I apologize for my "Carl Blackledge moment". I don't take this stuff personally, it's just that my worst nightmare is a world that's ok with tying a double bimini in dacron/spectra. I also gave up cigarettes 10 days ago, so I'm a little grumpier than usual.
  • JWTJWT Posts: 716 Officer
    i can't imagine anyone doing this any more, but i get what you are saying. & technically it is not a nail knot, tho i never really thought about it. no wonder some of the initial confusion.......

good luck with putting down the cigs. i used to say quitting was easy, i do it all the time! worst thing i ever tried to quit but i did & can't even remember how long ago. for me boat/fishing time was the worst. you want one after a good fish. you want one after you lose a good fish...... & so on.  stick with it! you will be glad you did!!!! from a lifelong smoker, it can be done!!! good luck!!! grump on if that is what it takes......... :D  i
  • rumit4rumit4 USAPosts: 18 Greenhorn
    These flies work in Florida and Belize and anyplace that tarpon nourish in clear water.