Braid recommendation for Stradic 4000

2»

Replies

  • nickmonickmo Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Garysmo wrote: »
    For spinning off-shore I use 40# or 50# braid. I can get plenty of capacity on the reel and it is easy to work with. I mostly use them for pitching to Mahi or bottom fishing the reefs.

    Yep! Same here. The casting distance might be affected a little bit, but boy is it a lot easier to tie with these older eyes. You can get a bunch of 40-50 lb braid on a 5000/6000 reel.
  • GettnreddyGettnreddy Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    I suppose today for most, fishing is not much of a sport as much as it may have been for the fishermen of yesteryear.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,437 Captain
    sk018 wrote: »
    I have had hooks straighten out using mission fishin, bass assin and doa jig heads on big reds with 15lb braid.
    Only on reds has it happened. I attributed it to something with their mouth, not too much pressure on them...who knows
    Ive also had big mahi straighten big spro bucktails with 30lb braid and not a ton of pressure...

    I think your right. Those hooks are wide gap and when the point buries in the roof of their mouth it can bend. I also have only had it happen on reds
    You should have been here yesterday
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,839 Captain
    I think your right. Those hooks are wide gap and when the point buries in the roof of their mouth it can bend. I also have only had it happen on reds

    Yep- Im not talking completely straighten out. I mean it stays hooked and is maybe halfway to straight
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,437 Captain
    sk018 wrote: »
    Yep- Im not talking completely straighten out. I mean it stays hooked and is maybe halfway to straight

    That's also been my experience
    You should have been here yesterday
  • BskyBsky Posts: 71 Greenhorn
    I like 15lb suffix 832 on my stradic fk4000 with a 20-25 ande backcountry leader depending on the water im fishing. If your set on 20-30 id stick with the 20.
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,393 Captain
    That's also been my experience
    Total difference between that and saying you "straightened out a hook". I get what you're talking about all the time, most often on reds, and especially on hard baits. So, I will agree with you in that case. However, I wouldn't call it straighting out a hook, though. More like bending it a little.
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,393 Captain
    Spineyman wrote: »
    Braid breaks far past the rating strength. Mono usually just under breaking strength.
    That totally depends on what brands you're using. In my experiance most mono tests out stronger than it's rated also. With the exception of the ones made to meet IGFA standards.
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,393 Captain
    As spiny said, 10 lb braid (pp)will test much higher than 10 lbs. 10 lb braid is stronger and much thinner that 10lb mono ( and doesn't feel like your catching a fish on a rubber band)
    Thanks for the the info. I've only been using braid since they came out with Spider Wire about 20 years ago, so I hadn't realized it was thinner, and was more sensitive. As I posted elsewhere, there's plenty of mono that tests above rated strength also. Hence the statement "10 lb test". Not "breaks at 10 lbs".
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,393 Captain
    Gettnreddy wrote: »
    I suppose today for most, fishing is not much of a sport as much as it may have been for the fishermen of yesteryear.
    Why would you say that? I'm rally curious, not giving you a hard time. I guess I fit into the yesteryear and today's categories, since I'm pushing 60 (really hard :)) , and my passion is still the same. I really don't see it being any less of a sport. We have a lot more tools now, but I'll guarantee the fishermen of yesteryear were using the bet they could get their hands on for the times, just as we do now. Again, not giving you a hard time at all, just curious as to why you think that.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,862 Admiral
    pottydoc wrote: »
    That totally depends on what brands you're using. In my experiance most mono tests out stronger than it's rated also. With the exception of the ones made to meet IGFA standards.

    But braid is way above actual breaking strength and much smaller diameter too. For inshore I have not seen the advantage of braid over mono for the additional cost. I personally use Ande Back Country and have tried many different braids and hated both Suffix 832 and Power Pro. If I was to use braid for inshore again it would be invisibraid hands down.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

    II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.



  • rysherrysher Posts: 372 Deckhand
    pjstevko wrote: »
    I'm torn between 20 or 30 # braid.........

    The reel will be used from shore, kayak and boats for anything from seatrout, snook, tarpon, snapper and grouper....

    So what #?
    for a 4000 size reel depending on what you are trying to catch, go with 15# yozuri braid. high end spectra was use, higher end than maxcuatro. the max i would go is 20# yozuri.
    pottydoc wrote: »
    So you're trying to tell us 10 lb braid (which is no stronger than 10 lb mono) is stronger than he hooks you're using?
    it depends what type of braid he was using. Here in the USA manufacturers would say, our 10# test is the strongest 10# test in the market. We tested their 10# test and it breaks at 30#, then we tested the diameter and it is the same diameter as other 40# braids. so their 10# is actually not a 10# braid but a 40# braid that breaks at 30# and yet they claim it to be 10#.

    This is the difference between USA braid ratings and the Japanese braid rating which goes by the PE. when Japanese line rates their line as PE 2, they are exactly about 0.235mm in diameter and all braids with 0.235mm diameter breaks at around the same strength.


    try this article
    https://rayscustomworks.com/braid-tests-of-abskbsdiameter/

    and this for line capacity
    https://rayscustomworks.com/line-capacity-calculator/
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,393 Captain
    Spineyman wrote: »
    But braid is way above actual breaking strength and much smaller diameter too. For inshore I have not seen the advantage of braid over mono for the additional cost. I personally use Ande Back Country and have tried many different braids and hated both Suffix 832 and Power Pro. If I was to use braid for inshore again it would be invisibraid hands down.
    The biggest advantage is the huge difference in casting distance. Followed by the way extra pressure you can put on fish because of the stronger line. I've stopped many a snook from reaching cover because of fishing braid with a much stronger breaking point than equivalent diameter mono. I use PP and Fire line, and just spooled a couple reels with Suffix. So far I like it fine. I use a 7-8' floro leader before my lure. No way I would go back to mono. I can see zero advantages to it, except the initial lower cost. But that's just me. If you like mono better, good for you. They'll both catch fish.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,862 Admiral
    pottydoc wrote: »
    The biggest advantage is the huge difference in casting distance. Followed by the way extra pressure you can put on fish because of the stronger line. I've stopped many a snook from reaching cover because of fishing braid with a much stronger breaking point than equivalent diameter mono. I use PP and Fire line, and just spooled a couple reels with Suffix. So far I like it fine. I use a 7-8' floro leader before my lure. No way I would go back to mono. I can see zero advantages to it, except the initial lower cost. But that's just me. If you like mono better, good for you. They'll both catch fish.

    The only problem I was having with the suffix is it was breaking at the knot because like you I use at least a 6 foot leader. So reeling it in and casting it out would fray the suffix big time. As far as casting any farther, I don't know about that either. A friend of mine came over several weeks back with his skiff. we launched and within a few minutes we were fishing and catching fish. He had a 7 foot G Loomis and a 2000 Stradic with 10 power pro. I was using a 7 foot Trevalla with a Spheros 4000 and 8 pound back country. We were both standing on the bow casting a small Yozuri 3DS minnow. Not only was I casting as far, but he had wind knots about every 5 casts. Needless to say I outfished him 10 to one because he spent most of his time fiddling with wind knots. Now with that said if I had Snook up here I would for sure consider braid again, but we don't. Don't get me wrong, I have lost a few lures to reds and dock pilings. But that is going to happen from time to time regardless of what line you are using. It all has a place in the fishing business, it is just a matter of need and effectiveness. That is where the cost to performance plays in.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

    II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.



  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,437 Captain
    Spineyman wrote: »
    The only problem I was having with the suffix is it was breaking at the knot because like you I use at least a 6 foot leader. So reeling it in and casting it out would fray the suffix big time. As far as casting any farther, I don't know about that either. A friend of mine came over several weeks back with his skiff. we launched and within a few minutes we were fishing and catching fish. He had a 7 foot G Loomis and a 2000 Stradic with 10 power pro. I was using a 7 foot Trevalla with a Spheros 4000 and 8 pound back country. We were both standing on the bow casting a small Yozuri 3DS minnow. Not only was I casting as far, but he had wind knots about every 5 casts. Needless to say I outfished him 10 to one because he spent most of his time fiddling with wind knots. Now with that said if I had Snook up here I would for sure consider braid again, but we don't. Don't get me wrong, I have lost a few lures to reds and dock pilings. But that is going to happen from time to time regardless of what line you are using. It all has a place in the fishing business, it is just a matter of need and effectiveness. That is where the cost to performance plays in.

    Sounds like your buddy needs to learn to close his bail by hand. I fish braid exclusively, it's been years ( at least 5 years) since I had a "wind knot". If your buddy can't outcast you with mono, he should reevaluate his technique. His 10 lb. braid probably has the same diameter as 2-4 lb mono. There is no reasonreason you should be able to get close to his distance when your throwing line twice as thick, unless his tiny reel contributed.
    You should have been here yesterday
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,862 Admiral
    Sounds like your buddy needs to learn to close his bail by hand. I fish braid exclusively, it's been years ( at least 5 years) since I had a "wind knot". If your buddy can't outcast you with mono, he should reevaluate his technique. His 10 lb. braid probably has the same diameter as 2-4 lb mono. There is no reasonreason you should be able to get close to his distance when your throwing line twice as thick, unless his tiny reel contributed.

    I believe that was the case because I would cast the same distance every time and it frustrated him to no end. He could not understand it. We were also casting into a slight wind so that might have contributed to the knots he was getting.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

    II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.



  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,437 Captain
    Spiney, if you use an fg knot for braid to leader, you will probably get less fraying. I noticed freying w suffix 832 also, some with pp super slick, but not as bad. Original power pro and diawa j braid( good braid for the money, but not as strong as pp imho) doesn't seem to fray. Also, the fg knot is what allowed me to use a mono topshot w my bottom gear ( which I know your a fan of) the uni knot was too big to get through the guides and sit on the spool. Now I'm using about 10' of topshot( grouper fished in 30-35' yesterday). Noticing less pulled hooks. Sorry about the derail
    You should have been here yesterday
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 2,435 Captain
    I use 15 or 20 lb braid on a 4000. I prefer braid over mono. Since braid is drastically thinner it will cast a ton further. I agree with previous posters who have pointed out 15 and 20 lb braid is overkill in strength, it is. 10 lb is plenty strong for inshore fishing, plenty. But I don't like how thin 10 lb braid is. I get too many knots with it, especially when jigging. To me 15 to 20 lb braid is the perfect thickness of line. Thick enough not to blow all over the place causing knots, but still thin enough to cast a mile. It is also thick enough to tie really good knots. Again, I like 15/20 lb braid, but not because I feel like I need the strength. 10 lb is plenty strong.
  • needlesneedles Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    #8 fireline
  • WC53WC53 Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    1-3k 8/10lb invisibraid. For inshore, this is what I fish 95% of the time. A 4k is too heavy for me casting all day, caveat is Im old with several shoulder injuries. You mentioned kayak, try breaking 10lb braid snagged on the bottom. It will make a believer out of you. Test your drag with a weight, 5lbs will surprise you.

    4k 15/20

    5k-up. Well it depends what is on sale. Usually 30, but I have 50/65 on a couple bigger reels that I use for grouper and bigger fish. Open water, lighter line and drag, grouper, tighten down and pull. For whatever reason I fond spools of 65 on closeout.

    For baitcasterz 30/40. I have tried to throw lighter braid, but apparently I am inept.. invisibraid or suffix 832

    Happy new year.:fishing:USA
    "Reality, the bane of ICC everywhere."
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,104 Captain
    On a side note. I've been shopping for inshore reels lately and the Stradic costs twice as much and look nothing like my old ones. Just an observation. I noticed that there is a lot of Shimano reels now for less money that are really nice. My Stradic's though old are still flawless.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 2,435 Captain
    AC Man wrote: »
    On a side note. I've been shopping for inshore reels lately and the Stradic costs twice as much and look nothing like my old ones. Just an observation. I noticed that there is a lot of Shimano reels now for less money that are really nice. My Stradic's though old are still flawless.

    I just picked up a Stradic. I also have a Nasci. I haven't spent enough time with either to really make a final decision. I know many scoff at the cost of Shimano reels, but I still have a Sustain that is well over 10 years old and works perfectly. I don't personally view $200 for something I use for over a decade as expensive. Just my 2 cents.
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,393 Captain
    Sounds like your buddy needs to learn to close his bail by hand. I fish braid exclusively, it's been years ( at least 5 years) since I had a "wind knot". If your buddy can't outcast you with mono, he should reevaluate his technique. His 10 lb. braid probably has the same diameter as 2-4 lb mono. There is no reasonreason you should be able to get close to his distance when your throwing line twice as thick, unless his tiny reel contributed.
    What gatorvet said. If you close your bail by hand, you will hardly ever get a wind knot in braid. And, I have never seen anyone using mono cast as far as someone using braid. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but either your buddy's equipment has an issue, or he does. The fact that hes getting lots of wind knots shows something isn't right.
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,393 Captain
    AC Man wrote: »
    On a side note. I've been shopping for inshore reels lately and the Stradic costs twice as much and look nothing like my old ones. Just an observation. I noticed that there is a lot of Shimano reels now for less money that are really nice. My Stradic's though old are still flawless.
    AC, The current Saharas are about on par with the older Stradics. He new ones are sweet, though. I got a couple CI 4 3000's that are great reels. I hope they last like my old Stradics, I have two 4000's that are 18-20 yea s old that still get fished regularly.


    .
2»
Sign In or Register to comment.