Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Christmas eve gags port richey

Figured I'd try to sneak in one more gag trip while the weather allows it. Been wanting to take the Pop's out and finally had the chance. We hit up dunedin causeway the evening before and caught a couple dozen large pins and pigfish to help solve the small bait problem I've been having. We got out at day break, and made one stop about 6 miles off to catch a few more baits, which were small as usual. Got to some stuff in 55' and saw a nice show of fish. Nothing but grunts at first tearing up the sardines and boston mackerel. My friend threw down a grunt head and got hammered but the fight lasted a little longer than expected so we all figured it was a shark since it ran out about 50-75 yards of 80lb line. My friends dad up front was also hooked up on a 6' bull shark at the same time, and while all this was going on, I hooked a big amberjack on 20lb snapper gear. Was hectic on the boat but I got my AJ in which was about 25lbs and friend pulled up what he thought was a shark after 20 mins, and it ended up being a 200lb Jewfish! Weird the way it fought but we let it go and got the other shark to the boat and the bite just blew up! Caught 7 keepers in the next 15 mins, all on live bait. Other than that, we finally ran into a tough bite. Stopped on 4 other spots and the fish were showing like hell, but no keeper gags. Hit one more spot, one of my snapper spots and I had a very big gag on snapper gear and had him up off the bottom about 15' so the hard work was done, and Mr. Bully grabbed him and eventually broke me off. He was probably in the 30 inch range and would've capped us off but oh well. Glad to get the guy who introduced me into fishing on some nice fish. He had a blast catching all kinds of ARS, Gags, a few big AJ's over 40lbs and he also caught the most keepers on the boat. I told him it's like riding a bike! Hopefully we'll get to have one more chance for some gags but my days off and weather aren't looking good. Until next time, tight lines! -Chris

Replies

• Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,260 Moderator
    Another great trip, how nice to get out there with your Dad. We're set to go Thursday, hoping for a lay down by then.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
  • clarosaclarosa Posts: 708 Officer
    Reel-Lucky wrote: »
    Another great trip, how nice to get out there with your Dad. We're set to go Thursday, hoping for a lay down by then.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Back atcha buddy! Yea, It was definitely nice to get my pop's out and see him have a blast. I have a charter to try to run out there this thur but it's looking squirrely so I'm hoping it lays down a bit.
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 1,020 Officer
    Good stuff! Sad that gag is all but done until summer :( On to the snapper grind. I prefer eating them anyways :)
    FusionZ06 wrote: »
    Good stuff! Sad that gag is all but done until summer :( On to the snapper grind. I prefer eating them anyways :)

Yea, 6 **** months but oh well. The govt literally gives us a couple species to choose from, from now until june. I love snapper fishing but it's nice to have the option of something else haha.
  • ericfericf Posts: 463 Deckhand
    clarosa wrote: »
    Yea, 6 **** months but oh well. The govt literally gives us a couple species to choose from, from now until june. I love snapper fishing but it's nice to have the option of something else haha.

I was looking forward to a January AJ run until I realized they will be closed too...

Inshore is tough but maybe will fight it out inside on some of my fishing days over next few months.

Tight Lines,
    Eric Fosbender

Team Googanator

2006 Bull Dolphin 22 with 250 Etec
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,335 Moderator
    Nice catching !!
    "You'll get your weather"
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,094 Officer
    we did the same, groupers, outta PR 12/24. limited out, but capt. put 5 in the box before we knew it. saw alittle too much BS. His buddy was out there taking out people for a fee, but not a charter. Heard capt. had been catching nearly all his clients fish after asking around. as I understand it capt is not allowed to keep groupers. I guess that's how we ended up with so many fish so quickly. There'd be a few more fish out there if the basic regs/rules were followed, maybe even twice as many , or more...
    permit_me wrote: »
    we did the same, groupers, outta PR 12/24. limited out, but capt. put 5 in the box before we knew it. saw alittle too much BS. His buddy was out there taking out people for a fee, but not a charter. Heard capt. had been catching nearly all his clients fish after asking around. as I understand it capt is not allowed to keep groupers. I guess that's how we ended up with so many fish so quickly. There'd be a few more fish out there if the basic regs/rules were followed, maybe even twice as many , or more...

Yea, the bigger problem is there are FAR too many captains out there running offshore charters without the proper permits. My partner and I have been paying on our permits for the past few years even without a boat to stay legit yet you have people that are doing it for free. I've been seeing alot of pics of inshore captains taking their clients 20 miles offshore to get gags which isn't legal. Why should I have to carry $20,000 worth of reef and hms permits when these other guys aren't? Oh well, what can you do?
    ericf wrote: »
    I was looking forward to a January AJ run until I realized they will be closed too...

Inshore is tough but maybe will fight it out inside on some of my fishing days over next few months.

AJ will be open January 1, 2018 as of now...
    AJ will be open January 1, 2018 as of now...

wait, what!??
    wait, what!??

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/amberjack/

Gulf federal: At the Oct. 2017 Gulf Council meeting, a new recreational season structure for greater amberjack was approved. Pending U.S. Secretary of Commerce approval, the season open annually for the entire month of May, and from Aug. 1 through Oct. 31. Until this season structure is approved, the season in Gulf federal waters will open Jan. 1, 2018. http://gulfcouncil.org/press/2017/october-2017-council-update/
    http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/amberjack/

Gulf federal: At the Oct. 2017 Gulf Council meeting, a new recreational season structure for greater amberjack was approved. Pending U.S. Secretary of Commerce approval, the season open annually for the entire month of May, and from Aug. 1 through Oct. 31. Until this season structure is approved, the season in Gulf federal waters will open Jan. 1, 2018. http://gulfcouncil.org/press/2017/october-2017-council-update/

Well crap! Game on! Can't catch those in state waters anyways. What joke!
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,094 Officer
    Yea, the bigger problem is there are FAR too many captains out there running offshore charters without the proper permits. My partner and I have been paying on our permits for the past few years even without a boat to stay legit yet you have people that are doing it for free. I've been seeing alot of pics of inshore captains taking their clients 20 miles offshore to get gags which isn't legal. Why should I have to carry $20,000 worth of reef and hms permits when these other guys aren't? Oh well, what can you do?

You are doing it the right way. And all these guys that cant follow basic rules and regs, really out to be turned in. I mull it over but never do. That might just be the only way to push back.

It all leads to fewer fish for the avg. joe and a shorter season. Fishy business.
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    Beautiful Grouper!
    I'm glad to see you posting again.
    Happy New Year, best wishes
    God, save the South!