Home Off Topic

No more wind power

Replies

• fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    Gardawg wrote: »
    that's how trial and error builds collective intelligence

That is how the life is sucked out of ingenuity in todays world.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • silvergsilverg Posts: 1,456 Officer
    cadman wrote: »
    We can forget about wind as an alternative energy source. It is bad for your health.

Saw an article in today's Gainesville Sun (Can't find it online) that people are protesting wind farms due to the negative health effects caused by them.Here is one article;

A review of the current literature on the subject shows that health effects related to wind turbine noise have been found to include a broad range of symptoms. The largest reported concern is sleep disruption, while other symptoms include headaches, migraines, ear pain, and psychological distress. Wind turbines tend to be found in rural communities where ambient noise is typically low, and may therefore have a more pronounced effect on residents unused to noise.

https://www.noisesolutions.com/wind-energy-controversies-environment-health-and-community/

Attempts to harness wind energy has driven people crazy as far back as Don Quixote.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,819 Admiral
    fins4me wrote: »
    That is how the life is sucked out of ingenuity in todays world.

it's how you winnow the grain to remove the chaff

BTW glad to see that you are an advocate of alternative energy sources. But I guess you've seen first hand the destruction of coal mining.

marsh_fork.jpg
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,446 Captain
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Wind is just another tool in the box. 35% of energy in Iowa is wind, about 5% overall in the US. A tool that makes sense where it makes sense.

Yes, there are designs that minimize or eliminate bird issues.

There is no medical study that indicates wind turbines directly affect peoples health (noise, vibration, flickering lights). There is information in that SOME people get really worked up and stressed out about wind turbines....and claim their health is affected. It may very well be, but it is the STRESS and ANGST about wind turbines that is affecting their health, not the turbine physically. Some people just get worked up and stressed out, if it wasn't the turbine...it would likely be something else.

The energy generated by wind power is fed directly into the electrical grid. Flickering lights is a non issue.
    Wind power is a viable energy source.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,617 AG
    Big oil keeping it down for 30+ years. If it wasn't for them we'd all have a pretty windmill in our backyard.

Captain Todd Approves

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,135 Admiral

BTW glad to see that you are an advocate of alternative energy sources. But I guess you've seen first hand the destruction of coal mining.

marsh_fork.jpg

No birds were hurt in building that
    :wink
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral

marsh_fork.jpg
    No birds were hurt in building that
    :wink

How has that narrative worked out for you guys so far? :rotflmao
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG

]

I have no issue with people toying with alternative power sources. I do however take great issue with the taxpayers getting shafted by the wasteful bill.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
    fins4me wrote: »
    I have no issue with people toying with alternative power sources. I do however take great issue with the taxpayers getting shafted by the wasteful bill.
    And I'd prefer they toy with solar. At least with solar you can do it on an individual basis. And I find solar farms less intrusive.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Captain Todd Approves

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,135 Admiral
    mplspug wrote: »
    And I'd prefer they toy with solar. At least with solar you can do it on an individual basis. And I find solar farms less intrusive.

Why place limits on your options
    http://affinitiarchitects.com/projects/green/chub-cay-bahamas/
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,444 AG
    A lot of people have been sucking on the government power teat for generations in an area that would be nothing but a flooded hell hole if not for the Federal Government's investments in impoverished areas.

Regional power consumers may benefit from lower-cost electricity supplied from T.V.A.'s network of 29 power-generating dams throughout the Tennessee River system, some of which date back to the TVA’s early days in the 1930s
    That's fine, I'm just against wind farms.

Captain Todd Approves

• Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    an area that would be nothing but a flooded hell hole if not for the Federal Government's investments in impoverished areas.[/B]

Who was it that flooded it?
  • Florida Ex-patFlorida Ex-pat Posts: 586 Officer

marsh_fork.jpg

Why would someone build a school directly below a dam?
    #Fakenews

It's obvious by comparing Google Maps to the photo that it is at best an optical illusion that the "sludge" is ominously being held above the elementary and at worst a total fraud.

Captain Todd Approves

Walker Dog wrote: »
    Who was it that flooded it?

The taxpayers flooded the area with dams and money so that generations of area citizens could get electricity at a government subsidized discounted rate.

A taxpayer funded hand out that they take advantage of to this day, but won't muster a simple thank you to Uncle Sam.
    Taxpayers? Who spends tax dollars?

The government is who flooded the valleys. So, without them flooding it, would it really be a "flooded hell hole" as you call it? Not likely.
    BTW, the power that is generated there goes as far south as Miami. Hardly just for the local citizens. Feel free to throw in your thank you.
    Pfft you believe anything ending in .org

The **** looks solid to me.

Captain Todd Approves

Also, wind farms still suck.

Captain Todd Approves

Taxpayers? Who spends tax dollars?

The government is who flooded the valleys. So, without them flooding it, would it really be a "flooded hell hole" as you call it? Not likely.

Bless your heart, learn a little history.

When TVA was founded in 1933, flooding was a serious problem in the Tennessee Valley. Untamed rivers washed away the topsoil, causing severe erosion and limiting farmers’ ability to grow crops; poor farming practices compounded the problem. The potential for flood damage increased as cities and towns were built alongside the rivers. Property was regularly devastated. In many cases, lives were lost.

Today, TVA has a sophisticated system of dams to control flooding along the Tennessee River watershed, and each year it prevents about $260 million in flood damage in the TVA region and along the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers.

https://www.tva.gov/Environment/Flood-Management

It would be nice for the beneficiaries of this massive government handout to simply show a little appreciation for a subsidy that has benefited generations.
    BTW, the power that is generated there goes as far south as Miami. Hardly just for the local citizens. Feel free to throw in your thank you.

How far south do the farms that were saved go?

I'm happy to recognize the good things that the government does for Americans everyday. That's why I point out the hypocrisy of those that simply are happy that they have theirs, and so do their heirs. So screw everyone else.

All because of massive government handouts that they have benefited from.
    I'd bet they go about as far south as the farms that we're condemned and flooded. The most valuable soils were at the bottom of the valleys which is now the bottom of a lake. Who are all these rich ungreatful former hillbillies you despise? With as personally as you seem to have taken it, surely you can share some names!
    BTW, my heart is doing just fine.

You can save the "blessings" for your own.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Bless your heart, learn a little history.

When TVA was founded in 1933, flooding was a serious problem in the Tennessee Valley. Untamed rivers washed away the topsoil, causing severe erosion and limiting farmers’ ability to grow crops; poor farming practices compounded the problem. The potential for flood damage increased as cities and towns were built alongside the rivers. Property was regularly devastated. In many cases, lives were lost.

Today, TVA has a sophisticated system of dams to control flooding along the Tennessee River watershed, and each year it prevents about $260 million in flood damage in the TVA region and along the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers.

https://www.tva.gov/Environment/Flood-Management

It would be nice for the beneficiaries of this massive government handout to simply show a little appreciation for a subsidy that has benefited generations.

Thats an interesting point of view you have.
    What if the govt./Trump administration put forth a plan to permanently dam and prevent the flooding generated by the Missouri and Mississippi rivers using the TVA model?
    Would you be a supporter of the program?
    By the way, wind power farms are a lose lose proposition.
    At least the TVA stands on its own and produces the amounts of power it was designed to produce. Wind on the other hand has not.
    I'd bet they go about as far south as the farms that we're condemned and flooded. The most valuable soils were at the bottom of the valleys which is now the bottom of a lake. Who are all these rich ungreatful former hillbillies you despise? With as personally as you seem to have taken it, surely you can share some names!

Some would consider the term hillbilly pejorative, and a good Christian heart does not know despisement.
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,555 Admiral
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Wind is just another tool in the box. 35% of energy in Iowa is wind, about 5% overall in the US. A tool that makes sense where it makes sense.

I drive through an area in Iowa once a year, they are pretty amazing to see and how HUGE they are.

the-largest-wind-farm-in-us-history-just-got-the-green-light.jpg
    Amazing is not the word that comes to my mind.

Captain Todd Approves

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,732 AG
    mplspug wrote: »

i know someone with a small turbine and a bank of batteries powering a workshop.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement.