Home Off Topic

No more wind power

cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,579 AG
We can forget about wind as an alternative energy source. It is bad for your health.

Saw an article in today's Gainesville Sun (Can't find it online) that people are protesting wind farms due to the negative health effects caused by them.Here is one article;

A review of the current literature on the subject shows that health effects related to wind turbine noise have been found to include a broad range of symptoms. The largest reported concern is sleep disruption, while other symptoms include headaches, migraines, ear pain, and psychological distress. Wind turbines tend to be found in rural communities where ambient noise is typically low, and may therefore have a more pronounced effect on residents unused to noise.

https://www.noisesolutions.com/wind-energy-controversies-environment-health-and-community/

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

Replies

• MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,187 Captain
    That's just solar propaganda !!
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,548 AG
    That info has been out for a while but the clean energy crowd won't care.

Don't forget the birds that get knocked out of the park by them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Captain Todd Approves

• wahoowacker01wahoowacker01 Posts: 1,470 Officer
    Yep those huge props do not discriminate between sparrows and hawks or eagles
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    Every form of energy has its negative consequences. Its all about what we are willing as a society to accept.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,002 Admiral
    Draft Horses give off large amounts of Methane gas....
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    The Kennedy family and others killed wind power off shore of Martha's Vineyard because they would spoil their view even though most would be over the horizon
    Deo Vindice
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,782 Admiral
    Solar
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,441 Captain
    If anyone of you have ever seen a wind generator, you would realize that the blades turn very slowly.
    As a matter of fact the generators blades disengage when turning too fast.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,548 AG
    Scoutboat wrote: »
    If anyone of you have ever seen a wind generator, you would realize that the blades turn very slowly.
    I've seen them. Large farms of them. They are ugly and worthless.

Captain Todd Approves

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    The towers as well as the blades will be deadly to all birds---local resident populations or migratory species. You question this?

Tallahassee TV station, WCTV, used to have a TV transmitter tower north of Tallahassee about 12-14 miles, located on Tall Timbers Research Station. Wildlife biologists at Tall Timbers collected dead birds daily around the tower and kept research records for several years on the daily/NIGHTLY kills of birds flying into the tower which had NO BLADES. Several birds were collected daily, and during fall/spring migrations the 24 hour kill could go into the teens, and some of these were RARE AND ENDANGERED SPECIES--even including European species that were native to European coastal areas that had accidently been blown ashore here in stormy conditions---that's the Gods truth, and it can be easily proven from published records of the Research Station, so don't take MY word for it! At times the bird mortality rate was so high--during migrations--that predator/scavenger species ie bobcats, fox, coons, possums, feral house cats, would group up around the tower to feed on the kills. To WCTV's credit, the tower was removed. As I say, this is a matter of record---contact Tall Timbers for the published research papers if you question what I say. Ever see vultures roosting in tall radio/tv towers? Ask yourself why! And add blades? GOOD GOD!
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,060 Captain
    Yup, reeeeaal slow. Like 180 mph at the tip of the largest ones. And over 100 mph on the average size ones. A Google search will quickly back up those numbers.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,579 AG
    The towers as well as the blades will be deadly to all birds---local resident populations or migratory species. You question this?

Tallahassee TV station, WCTV, used to have a TV transmitter tower north of Tallahassee about 12-14 miles, located on Tall Timbers Research Station. Wildlife biologists at Tall Timbers collected dead birds daily around the tower and kept research records for several years on the daily/NIGHTLY kills of birds flying into the tower which had NO BLADES. Several birds were collected daily, and during fall/spring migrations the 24 hour kill could go into the teens, and some of these were RARE AND ENDANGERED SPECIES--even including European species that were native to European coastal areas that had accidently been blown ashore here in stormy conditions---that's the Gods truth, and it can be easily proven from published records of the Research Station, so don't take MY word for it! At times the bird mortality rate was so high--during migrations--that predator/scavenger species ie bobcats, fox, coons, possums, feral house cats, would group up around the tower to feed on the kills. To WCTV's credit, the tower was removed. As I say, this is a matter of record---contact Tall Timbers for the published research papers if you question what I say. Ever see vultures roosting in tall radio/tv towers? Ask yourself why! And add blades? GOOD GOD!

Never knew this. It appears the NIH even funded a study of this back in 2012. If I read it right there is even an issue of tall building and lighthouses killing birds.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3338802/

Mini Mart Magnate

• mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG

Not the ones I’ve seen out in California. Those around Palm Springs and Cabazon spin like crazy on those hills by I10.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,579 AG
    Isn't the speed dependent on how mush wind there is?

Mini Mart Magnate

• ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    They have governors on them to prevent spinning too fast. Even those which appear to be turning slowly are deceptive because of the size of the blades as the blades are so long that the tips of the blades are spinning at a higher speed than they appear.
    Deo Vindice
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    With the Tall Timbers Research Station Study, the supporting cables or what I would call "Guywires" accounted for much of the mortality. Blades may be visible enough for birds to avoid, at least during the daytime, but at night it would be a different situation, and: few people know it, but birds will fly in total darkness at times, especially during spring and fall migrations and to avoid stormy conditions.
  • RareRare Posts: 248 Deckhand
    Maybe they should look into the iceland wind power http://icewind.is/en/wind-power/

Tough build with carbon fiber, stainless steel and aircraft grade aluminum
    Wide production range; in extremely low (under 2 m/s) and high winds (over 50 m/s) with patent pending solutionsNearly silent (˂35 dB)
    No need to face the wind direction
    No effect on bird life
    30 year lifetime
    Virtually no maintenance
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 5,021 Admiral
    There’s no doubt that wind-energy capacity has grown substantially in recent years. But that growth has been fueled not by consumer demand, but by billions of dollars’ worth of taxpayer money. According to data from Subsidy Tracker — a database maintained by Good Jobs First, a Washington, D.C.–based organization that promotes “corporate and government accountability in economic development and smart growth for working families” — the total value of the subsidies given to the biggest players in the U.S. wind industry is now $176 billion. That sum includes all local, state, and federal subsidies as well as federal loans and loan guarantees received by companies on the American Wind Energy Association’s board of directors since 2000. (Most of the federal grants have been awarded since 2007.) Of the $176 billion provided to the wind-energy sector, $2.9 billion came from local and state governments; $9.4 billion came from federal grants and tax credits; and $163.9 billion was provided in the form of federal loans or loan guarantees.

General Electric — the biggest wind-turbine maker in North America — has a seat on AWEA’s board. It has received $1.6 billion in local, state, and federal subsidies and $159 billion in federal loans and loan guarantees. (It’s worth noting that General Electric got into the wind business in 2002 after it bought Enron Wind, a company that helped pioneer the art of renewable-energy rent-seeking.)

NextEra Energy, the largest wind-energy producer in the U.S., has received about 50 grants and tax credits from local, state, and federal entities as well as federal loans and loan guarantees worth $5.5 billion. That’s more than what the veteran crony capitalist Elon Musk has garnered. Last year the Los Angeles Times’s Jerry Hirsch reported that Musk’s companies — Tesla Motors, Solar City, and Space Exploration Technologies — have collected subsidies worth $4.9 billion. NextEra’s haul is also more than what was collected by such energy giants as BP ($315 million) and Chevron ($2.2 billion). About $6.8 billion in subsidies, loans, and loan guarantees went to foreign corporations, including Iberdrola, Siemens, and E.On.

Those three companies, and five other foreign companies, have seats on AWEA’s board of directors. Many of the companies on the AWEA board will be collecting even more federal subsidies over the next few years. In December, the Congressional Joint Committee on Taxation estimated that the latest renewal of the production tax credit will cost U.S. taxpayers about $3.1 billion per year from now until 2019. That subsidy pays wind-energy companies $23 for each megawatt-hour of electricity they produce.
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,351 Admiral
    I have to run a box fan wide open to sleep. How close do you have to near one for it to bother you. If my power goes out and I don't have the white noise, I'm up.
    or

03_Coal-plant_sRGB.jpg
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

• pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,060 Captain
    Parkerboy wrote: »
    They have governors on them to prevent spinning too fast. Even those which appear to be turning slowly are deceptive because of the size of the blades as the blades are so long that the tips of the blades are spinning at a higher speed than they appear.
    Hey, a higher speed of 100 mph and more.
    another problem with wind ...

https://apnews.com/f95dd6128eb841debc5e21e653d4386b/Winds-of-worry:-US-fishermen-fear-forests-of-power-turbines

“You ever see a radar picture of a wind farm? It’s just one big blob, basically,” said Eric Hansen, 56, a New Bedford scallop boat owner whose family has been in the business for generations. “Transit through it will be next to impossible, especially in heavy wind and fog.”

This is interesting !!!

Germany set to pay customers for electricity usage as renewable energy generation creates huge power surplus
    Output from wind turbines forecast to hit record on Sunday

http://http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/germany-grids-paying-electricity-customers-renewable-energy-power-surplus-wind-solar-generation-a8022576.html

• mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Gardawg wrote: »
    or

03_Coal-plant_sRGB.jpg

The deception in that pic is the fact that all of that so-called smoke is really water condensation.
    Coal-burning power plants release fine particles of sulphate, nitrates, ammonia, sodium chloride, carbon and mineral dust, smaller than the width of a human hair, that penetrate deep into the lung.

• ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,441 Captain
    mplspug wrote: »
    I've seen them. Large farms of them. They are ugly and worthless.

Ugly, yes, worthless? I don't think so.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Wind is just another tool in the box. 35% of energy in Iowa is wind, about 5% overall in the US. A tool that makes sense where it makes sense.

Yes, there are designs that minimize or eliminate bird issues.

There is no medical study that indicates wind turbines directly affect peoples health (noise, vibration, flickering lights). There is information in that SOME people get really worked up and stressed out about wind turbines....and claim their health is affected. It may very well be, but it is the STRESS and ANGST about wind turbines that is affecting their health, not the turbine physically. Some people just get worked up and stressed out, if it wasn't the turbine...it would likely be something else.
  • mjnmjn Posts: 1,576 Captain
    I am sure it was mentioned why wind power is bad but I ain't reading all that.

ALL THE PRETTY BIRDIES

'nuff said.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,241 AG
    Having gumbo, black eyed peas, rice, and about 8 beers for New Years. I'll show you some wind power.
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    Seems regardless of the subject there must be some frail group of humans to complain about it.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
    fins4me wrote: »
    Seems regardless of the subject there must be some frail group of humans to complain about it.

that's how trial and error builds collective intelligence