Home Off Topic

How much did you spend on Christmas Dinner

cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,688 AG
I am only feeding four people, but there will be left overs and such. We did get a Ham from Honey Baked Hams.

But I was shocked when I added it up and it came to almost $200 for everything. I don't spend that in a month on groceries normally.

Every year I am amazed what I end up spending for a Christmas Dinner. But it is delicious and worth it.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

Replies

• MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,957 Captain
    Are you blowing your horn of generosity?
    Why would a man post this in the season of giving?
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,500 AG
    cadman wrote: »
    I am only feeding four people, but there will be left overs and such. We did get a Ham from Honey Baked Hams.

But I was shocked when I added it up and it came to almost $200 for everything. I don't spend that in a month on groceries normally.

Every year I am amazed what I end up spending for a Christmas Dinner. But it is delicious and worth it.

How many are you feeding for less than $200 a month?

We probably spent around $55 for two of us.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,189 Captain
    You stole Menzies 40th thread topic of the week Cad.
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,957 Captain

Char broiled lamb
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,427 Admiral
    I ordered a fresh ham and I'm cooking tomorrow for about 16. I suppose I spent a c note.... maybe more. There will be a lot more spent on this gathering as I'm just part of the team.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,374 Admiral
    $475 for a dry aged Angus prime rated 12 pound trimmed to perfection prime rib. And it didn't cost me one penny. Nice to know people in high places. I just hope I don't eff up cooking it. I'll have multiple thermometers on my pellet smoker. I am pulling it rare. The peeps that don't like it can finish it off on their own. No way I am going to over cook it.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,406 Captain
    $200 isn't bad. Every gathering we go to serves the typical Cuban dinner and we eat that for 3 days straight starting Christmas Eve. Probably spent over $200 for the wife to make cheese balls, little smokies and magic bars to take to said events.
  • hatcityhatcity Stuart,FLPosts: 3,382 Captain
    I'm around $150. But the labor cost is free for the assembly and prep, cook,....

but I enjoy every minute of it and don't worry about the cost
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,633 Admiral
    AC Man wrote: »
    $475 for a dry aged Angus prime rated 12 pound trimmed to perfection prime rib. And it didn't cost me one penny. Nice to know people in high places. I just hope I don't eff up cooking it. I'll have multiple thermometers on my pellet smoker. I am pulling it rare. The peeps that don't like it can finish it off on their own. No way I am going to over cook it.

AC, that sounds great.
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,552 Admiral

That's the way I do it. If it isn't done enough for them they can stick it in the oven & cook it some more. 125-130 degrees internal is done enough.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,688 AG
    MACD wrote: »
    Are you blowing your horn of generosity?
    Why would a man post this in the season of giving?

It amazed me how much it cost, that is all. I split the costs with my brother, so generosity wasn't it. Jeesh you need to calm down. This is off topic and I figured that was a safe topic.
    Mango Man wrote: »
    How many are you feeding for less than $200 a month?

We probably spent around $55 for two of us.

Usually just buying for me and a guest here and there normally. I get by on about $150 a month for groceries normally.

Mini Mart Magnate

This place was getting boring without him, thought I would help.

Mini Mart Magnate

• GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    It amazed me how much it cost, that is all. I split the costs with my brother, so generosity wasn't it. Jeesh you need to calm down. This is off topic and I figured that was a safe topic.

That boy was easily triggered.
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    Usually just buying for me and a guest here and there normally. I get by on about $150 a month for groceries normally.

Really? You get by on $5/day for breakfast, lunch and dinner? What do you eat, potatoes and onions exclusively?

Just seems really low to me even for one person, unless you eat out often, and are not including that.
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,067 Captain
    My wife's employer buys employees
    (there are 1000's of them) a Honey Baked Ham for Christmas, so no cost to us. The venison back straps cost more than I want to figure out, but no direct cost for them, most of the veggies come from my parents garden, and the desserts are homemade, so the cost is low there. So, not counting the $100.00 or so per pound invested in the venison, the rest of the meal is probably around $100.00 or so. That's for 16 of us.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,603 AG

Honey Baked Ham Company? That's where we got ours, first time we tried them. It was good, however my wife didn't want to do the suggested just let the ham come to room temperature for a half hour. I wrapped it in foil and baked it for 80 minutes. It lost some juice but only warmed around the bone lol.

I spent probably $100 for 3, unless you include booze.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Captain Todd Approves

Really? You get by on $5/day for breakfast, lunch and dinner? What do you eat, potatoes and onions exclusively?

Just seems really low to me even for one person, unless you eat out often, and are not including that.

I don't usually eat breakfast, maybe crackers or a sandwich at lunch, and then Chicken usually at dinner. I have been trying to lose weight. This holiday season has killed that though. Meals out or take out. I probably eat out dinner twice a week minimum and lunch the same. I usually go out for breakfast once a week with my brother. so no I don't get by on $5 a day.

Mini Mart Magnate

mplspug wrote: »
    Honey Baked Ham Company? That's where we got ours, first time we tried them. It was good, however my wife didn't want to do the suggested just let the ham come to room temperature for a half hour. I wrapped it in foil and baked it for 80 minutes. It lost some juice but only warmed around the bone lol.

I spent probably $100 for 3, unless you include booze.

I get nervous about the room temperature thing myself. They say the oven will dry it out. I just serve it cold and warm slices in the microwave.

Mini Mart Magnate

• Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,500 AG
    When we go grocery shopping it probably averages $100 a week or more. Of course, that's more than edibles. There's 2 of us. When it comes to the protein it's mostly chicken, some seafood, very little pork or red meat. Of course, I brown bag it for lunch and most other meals are prepared at home. We normally go out to dinner once a week but that is to a moderately priced restaurant.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral

$200 per month? I go to the grocery store 2-3 times per week and it seems I always drop $100 or more. I guess my monthly bill for two of us runs $500-$600 per month. We do eat a lot of ribeyes and prime rib.
    Deo Vindice
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,810 Admiral
    guestcheck.jpg
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • hatcityhatcity Stuart,FLPosts: 3,382 Captain
    Gardawg wrote: »
    guestcheck.jpg

fa-ra-ra-ra-ra-ra
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
    Gardawg wrote: »
    guestcheck.jpg

I would guarantee it is cheaper to eat out, but you don't have the leftovers to eat for the next week.

Mini Mart Magnate

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,603 AG
    Split pea soup time!

Captain Todd Approves

mplspug wrote: »
    Split pea soup time!

That's what the ham bone is for. Probably right after New Years.

Mini Mart Magnate

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,552 Admiral
    I spent zero on the dinner. Our daughter made the dinner this yr. Our oldest son always makes us a smoked turkey. Our oldest Grandson gives us a $40 gift certificate at honey baked ham every yr. a 1/2 ham is over $50 though.
    Talking about eating out. By far the highest price restaurant is a quality sushi joint. They must have high profit margins. My buddy and I eat at our place and the bill for 2 is around a hundred bucks. You can get a grilled meat and veggies for 10 bucks.

Sashimi and Sushi a la cart is pricy. Thank got he usually buys.
    BTW The prime rib I received turned out perfect. Pulled at 125. What a difference in a top quality meat VS choice grade.
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    BTW The prime rib I received turned out perfect. Pulled at 125. What a difference in a top quality meat VS choice grade.

Correct you are which is why a "prime" rib roast is much more expensive than a grocery store rib roast. I haven't found prime cuts of beef any where except a meat marrket in many years. Usually "choice" grade is the best found in a retail chain store.

I buy all steaks at a local butcher shop, pricey but worth it to me. I also buy Thanksgiving turkeys there as they have no enhancements and have never been frozen.
    Deo Vindice