Home Off Topic

Just tried VR for the first time.

Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,530 Captain
Wow. My wife got me a Sony VR for Christmas to go with my PS4 Pro. One of the games that I tried was a jewel heist game in which I was able to sit in the back of a seedy bar and smoke a virtual cigar while planning a the heist with a couple of shady gangster dudes. I was able to actually pick up the cigar in one hand, the lighter in another, hold it to my mouth, light the cigar, and smoke it in the virtual world. The game even let me blow smoke after I took a drag off the cigar. If I held my breath, the game wouldn’t blow the smoke out until I exhaled. Not to mention the game let me manually load a handgun by picking up a magazine and slamming it into the receiver. Or inside the bank I was able to open drawers and remove items by letting me manipulate the world with my hands via hand held motion controllers. When in a shootout, the gun’s iron sites even work correctly. I found myself ducking behind cover in the game and acting in out in my living room. Anyone else try high end VR?

Replies

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,863 AG
    Did you post this from your virtual world?

Captain Todd Approves

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,247 Admiral
    Does it work with ****?

Asking for Todd
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,530 Captain
    mplspug wrote: »
    Did you post this from your virtual world?

No, but it seems like the technology is there to do just that. I can’t get over how immersive it feels to interact with a virtual enviroment. In a car chase scene of the Heist game I was able to open my the car’s glove box and remove items, play with the radio, and even grab a slurpy drink and slurp thru the straw by holding it to my mouth and inhaling.

The only limitations I see so far is that some games involving a lot of fast movement can cause motion sickness. There’s a couple of games involving motion that I have to play in short spurts to avoid getting queezy. Also, the games play on my TV at the same time they display in the head gear and the VR resolution is noticeably less than the HD TV. I think that’s just a limitation on the affordability of the hardware. To keep the system at a consumer friendly price point, there’s a limit to the power the systens can allocate to resolution and detail. But the games still look darn good. Not photo realistic. But real enough.

I would guess in 5 years VR is going to finish maturing as a technology and become normal for video games. Whether it also becomes normal for other media remains to be seen. Netflix films some content in VR (such as Stranger Things) but I haven’t tried it yet. I’ve been told that on Stranger Things you can look around a scene and see what’s happening with characters off camera like walking down a hall or going in and out doors.

I can watch regular blue rays thru mu VR and it looks like you’re sitting in a big movie theater. I’ve also heard it will display 3d Bluerays but I haven’t tried that either.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    Does it work with ****?

Asking for Todd

:)
    You should have been here yesterday
  • hatcityhatcity Stuart,FLPosts: 3,407 Captain
    your posting on a world of virtual friends already

like fantasy football-you are living in a fantasy world
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,763 AG
    Had a friends son show us. Made me queezy. I don’t think I’ll be able to handle it.

Guess I won’t be part of the future, sniff.
    Todd gets enough action in reality reality.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Captain Todd Approves

• Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,646 Admiral

Todd is a player!
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,247 Admiral

Todd in action
    giphy.gif
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,297 AG
    I'm waiting on the holodeck. Supposed to be here in less than 20 years.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,437 Admiral
    You lost me at Sony VR? LOL. Last video game I played was Pong. No interest since. But I'm old and that's just me. Would rather ride my dirt bike back then.
    I see you guys hacked and are sharing my photo bucket account. :(

Captain Todd Approves

AC Man wrote: »
    You lost me at Sony VR? LOL. Last video game I played was Pong. No interest since. But I'm old and that's just me. Would rather ride my dirt bike back then.
    It's been a long time for me, but i would spend ours playing first person shooters, Madden or EA NHL hockey. If I bought a game console it would probably lead to a divorce. This is why I haven't bought one in years.

When you think about it, off topic is a lot like gaming. Lots of wasted time accomplishing nothing.

Captain Todd Approves