Home Off Topic

Most Annoying Words and Phrases

toomertoomer Posts: 344 Deckhand
In the interest of giving us a trivial, non-political topic (and as an old English teacher), there are a bunch of words and phrases that drive me nuts due to mis-use or over-use?

I'll start with "fan base". Sports people are killing me with this. How do you know if you are part of the base? How do you get in it? What bleeping difference does it make?

Others?

Replies

• tagtag Posts: 8,920 Admiral
    The use of Mil-Spec, tactical, aircraft strength and former NAVY SEAL when selling a product.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,270 AG
    I don't have any that annoy me. I get more intrigued by how some word's meaning has changed. I was watching an old show on TV about a husband and wife. The intro went "They were a gay couple" and I thought how that would be an entirely different show today.

the only thing that bothers me about some phrases is when middle aged or older guys try to use the current slang being used by teenagers.

Or out of date phrases

Ya feel me Dog

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    Irregardless when they mean regardless. "I could care less "when they mean "I couldn't care less". I bet I can think up more
    You should have been here yesterday
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,489 Admiral
    "Dude"
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • WelwoodWelwood Posts: 745 Officer
    I could get by very well without "meh" & "muh".
  • toomertoomer Posts: 344 Deckhand
    Very or most unique: You cannot be very one-of-a-kind
  • Buford CletusBuford Cletus Posts: 1,783 Captain
    "We gave it 110% today"

"I had to take a deuce"

"That's a lot of coin"
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,502 AG
    OMG. Grown men using that phrase as if they're 12yr old Taylor swift fans. I'm guilty of it from time to time myself so there is a bit of self loathing in there.

Mute point......So the point is incapable of speaking? It's a MOOT point. Not a mute point.

all the phrases kids use for drunk. Lit, phased, IDK the rest. Drunk is drunk. Wasted is very drunk.
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • MadbeachMadbeach On the riverPosts: 970 Officer
    "That's neither here nor there"

Umm, yea it is.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,270 AG
    Wasted is very drunk.
    cadman wrote: »
    Or out of date phrases

:)

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,489 Admiral
    "Thoughts and Prayers"
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
    cadman wrote: »
    :)

well i guess we'll just agree we both hate different things! But don't think I've gotten off the train, i'm definitely not one of those people who sits around pining for the 80s or 90s, in fact i cannot stand 80s music, and i mean i loathe it. My brother is a huge "take me back to the 90s" fan. Probably because he was thin and had hair back then. I never look back it distracts from the now.
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 3,400 Captain
    The phrase "beer money" has completely lost its' original meaning.

The grocery cooler is stocked with six-packs all marked "on sale" for $8.49.

Just in time for the holidays ... even the local brews ... screw them.
    tag wrote: »
    The use of Mil-Spec, tactical, aircraft strength and former NAVY SEAL when selling a product.

A group of cowardly plutocrats, hiding behind "dark money", have managed to nominate, and elect, the most unqualified governor in the entire USA, based almost entirely on the phrase "former Navy Seal".

Eric Greitens, a Rhodes Scholar ( in English Literature ), has no background whatsoever in Law, Economics, Mathematics, or Business Administration, much less in Chemistry, Physics, Engineering, or Computer Science. He's never held a job in the private sector, and yet reserved the domain name "Greitens for President" several years ago.

Just watch, ... Fox News and the plutocrat class have been touting him as a "rising star" in the Republican Party.

He'll be nominated for vice-president ... the next step in their plan to preserve and protect ... Israel.
    On the other side of this thread, i love the phrase "play stupid games win stupid prizes"

Like the idiots who just robbed the 5/3 bank on hwy 27 in Clermont and now are holed up in a standoff on Lakeshore drive. I hope they get the stupid prizes they deserve.
    tag wrote: »

A group of cowardly plutocrats, hiding behind "dark money", have managed to nominate, and elect, the most unqualified governor in the entire USA, based almost entirely on the phrase "former Navy Seal".

Eric Greitens, a Rhodes Scholar ( in English Literature ), has no background whatsoever is Law, Economics, Mathematics, or Business Administration, much less in Chemistry, Physics, Engineering, or Computer Science. He's never held a job in the private sector, and yet reserved the domain name "Greitens for President" several years ago.

Fox News and the plutocrat class have been touting him as a "rising star" in the Republican Party.

He'll be nominated for vice-president ... the next step in their plan to preserve and protect ... Israel.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 10,001 AG
    Irregardless when they mean regardless. "I could care less "when they mean "I couldn't care less". I bet I can think up more

• Irregardless is not a word but a portmanteau of regardless and irrespective.

Correct: Regardless of how you feel, it's objectively the wrong decision. / Everyone gets a vote, irrespective of their position.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • toomertoomer Posts: 344 Deckhand
    Gardawg wrote: »
    • Irregardless is not a word but a portmanteau of regardless and irrespective.

Correct: Regardless of how you feel, it's objectively the wrong decision. / Everyone gets a vote, irrespective of their position.

'dawg!! Did you teach English too?
    My wife uses the term de-oxidize when talking about oxidation on paint.... and every time I ask her "is the paint refreshing itself???? There is no such thing as de-oxication!!!!!
  • tagtag Posts: 8,920 Admiral
    toomer wrote: »
    'dawg!! Did you teach English too?

Cut n paste
  • plummer425plummer425 Posts: 19 Greenhorn
  • fishdishfishdish Posts: 1,223 Officer
  • ByFlyByFly Posts: 112 Deckhand
    Like, ya know. Like a
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    It is what it is.

Well, yes. Thanks for pointing that out.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,822 Captain
    "You should of been here yesterday."
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    "At the end if the day" grates on my nerves. Many previously cited such as "irregardless" and "could care less". I will ask how much less you could care only to have the person look at me as if I am speaking a foreign language.
    Deo Vindice
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,252 AG
    "with that said"

"youknowwhatI'msaying"

"youknowwhatImean"
    Warning Level 2
  • baitstealerbaitstealer Posts: 178 Deckhand
    Parkerboy wrote: »
    "At the end if the day" grates on my nerves. Many previously cited such as "irregardless" and "could care less". I will ask how much less you could care only to have the person look at me as if I am speaking a foreign language.

Yeah,I hate "at the end of the day" too. And "The fact of the matter is...".
    Also anyone who uses "air quotes".
    I also think "That's what she said" is getting pretty old,but it's still funny as heck,when used properly,lol
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,252 AG
    "by and large"
    Warning Level 2
  • LuckyMrSwLuckyMrSw Posts: 3,208 Captain
    Started about a year, maybe two years ago. Every conversation people start out with 'So' and used throughout. And then there's the 'Right' crowd. Drives me bat shizzz crazy!
    Please stop derailing my thread.
    `Forum Moderator`

Don't call each other names
    `Same Forum Moderator`