Home Off Topic

Band Camp & Aliases

StryderStryder Posts: 172 Deckhand
So if a member gets banned and has or creates an alias, how do they know or not know ? If you or I was banned for life and returned under an alias and were discovered does the alias then get banned ? Can they prove Joe Abc who was banned is now Bill123 ?

Just curious.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky

Replies

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,232 AG
    If they care to look into it, a little Columboing can find out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,459 Admiral
    Of course the can tell from your internet location. I don't know the technical term. If I'm wrong feel free to correct me.
  • tagtag Posts: 8,920 Admiral
    Posting on the forum is like getting money at the ATM. They take a picture of you when you hit reply. :troll
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,447 Admiral
    Not if you edit your metadata :)
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    Stryder wrote: »
    So if a member gets banned and has or creates an alias, how do they know or not know ? If you or I was banned for life and returned under an alias and were discovered does the alias then get banned ? Can they prove Joe Abc who was banned is now Bill123 ?

Just curious.

Don't worry Menzies they don't have time for that. :grin
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,688 Admiral
    Everybody's internet connection has an IP address. Even if you change your log in name the IP doesn't change.
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    I was using a proxy server years ago, and got accused of being more than one person.
    23895.gif
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Fish Haid wrote: »
    I was using a proxy server years ago, and got accused of being more than one person.

Okay Chubasco! Lol
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    I am currently banned, but cyber-hack my way in.
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,265 AG
    IP you say?
    Warning Level 2
  • NSB PhotogNSB Photog Posts: 541 Officer
    Back in my day we had a pretty advanced algorithm developed that would track and compare keyboard typing cadence, grammar and spelling style, profile and demographic metrics, etc. We were fortunate enough to have some habitually banned forum addicts to help us dial it in. I believe our alias detection rate was somewhere around 98.6% before Dr. Obbins deleted the module.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,362 Moderator
    Flash wrote: »
    If they care to look into it, a little Columboing can find out.

:wink :grin
    "You'll get your weather"
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,260 Admiral
    stc1993 wrote: »
    Everybody's internet connection has an IP address. Even if you change your log in name the IP doesn't change.

giphy.gif
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,416 AG
    I don't get the idea of aliases. If you make a mistake and get banned, just sit out the 30 days and avoid the mistake in the future. The rules really aren't that hard. If you continue to get banned or get perma-banned, then this is, apparently, not the place for you so why invent a new name that will get banned again at some point since the same behavior pattern will get you banned again.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    Don't get banned.

But if you do, go away.

Sorry.
  • StryderStryder Posts: 172 Deckhand
    Tarponator wrote: »
    Don't get banned.

But if you do, go away.

Sorry.

How can you say don't get band, as the rules for getting banned are not the same for every member nor is how banned time applied consistent - some it is 3 days, some it is 30, some it is life depends on who is doing the banning. I fish with a guy who went off a Mr.Gary if I cant't win I wont't play mod, banned for life coincidentally the member e was in the right to do so as the mod (Gary) was being a *ick. Any event created a new ID a few weeks later been on forum ever since and has just chosen to post less and contributes way less. I am not Menz as someone suggested earlier in the thread but I do wonder if maybe the people doing the banning should perhaps be banned themselves. Anyways don't get banned comment, how about same rules and same application for everyone so it would be easy to determine what the real parameters are.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky

• FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    cadman wrote: »
    I don't get the idea of aliases. If you make a mistake and get banned, just sit out the 30 days and avoid the mistake in the future. The rules really aren't that hard. If you continue to get banned or get perma-banned, then this is, apparently, not the place for you so why invent a new name that will get banned again at some point since the same behavior pattern will get you banned again.

It's called self control, many have it, some don't.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    Stryder wrote: »
    How can you say don't get band, as the rules for getting banned are not the same for every member nor is how banned time applied consistent - some it is 3 days, some it is 30, some it is life depends on who is doing the banning. I fish with a guy who went off a Mr.Gary if I cant't win I wont't play mod, banned for life coincidentally the member e was in the right to do so as the mod (Gary) was being a *ick. Any event created a new ID a few weeks later been on forum ever since and has just chosen to post less and contributes way less. I am not Menz as someone suggested earlier in the thread but I do wonder if maybe the people doing the banning should perhaps be banned themselves. Anyways don't get banned comment, how about same rules and same application for everyone so it would be easy to determine what the real parameters are.

Life isn't fair. Deal with it.

I'm still sorry. :(

Except if you're Joey.