Home Off Topic

Tax Cuts

stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,693 Admiral
All this talk about tax cuts makes me think of my biggest beef with the government. It's the EIC (earned income credit). How in the world does the government give these people thousands they never paid in. It's a big rip off. They sell SS numbers to other people so they can get it (to claim qualifying dependents). You can only claim so many SS numbers they sell the extras. I know it for a fact.

Replies

• SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,270 AG
    pimpin-aint-easy-lg.gif
    Warning Level 2
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,201 Captain
    True story:
    I was in the construction field working on a new high school down in south FL. ~2007 or so.

My co-worker and I were both on scaffolding working above the ceiling. Unknown to us, a room over was the guidance office. We overheard a conversation between 2 girls and the guidance counselor. Girl was pregnant with #2 and discussing something with the counselor and I assume her friend. It was hard to make out the conversation, but my co-worker and I both know for certain that we heard one of the girls say "don't worry another kid means $300 more per month."

Made my coworker and I both sick as we were busting out tails off, working long hours; all to have some of our tax $ pay for some young woman's poor life decisions..

I understand that a small fraction of our tax dollars go to welfare, but I should not have to pay for others poor life choices! (Or corporate bailouts!)
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Christers cutting any type of planned parenthood guidance (other than abstinence) and families stuck in ruts working 60 hours a week on three jobs making the walton family and their ilk super wealthy have equal blame in that fiasco.
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Christers cutting any type of planned parenthood guidance (other than abstinence) and families stuck in ruts working 60 hours a week on three jobs making the walton family and their ilk super wealthy have equal blame in that fiasco.

Last I checked; sex is between 2 people. Condoms are free/cheap. Everybody knows what the chances are of getting pregnant. Birth control is cheap also. There are consequences to every action, and others should not be forced to pay for it.
    And yes, I would be ok with preventative actions of birth control IF it ends up being cheaper than welfare for 18years.
    We have a cultural problem in America. Single parenthood rates have exploded since the 60s; despite education about birth control, and birth control products being more readily available. Hence, why it's a cultural problem. Period.

A shot at Christians.

How original of you.
    Warning Level 2
    SAENole wrote: »
    A shot at Christians.

How original of you.

You can think the atheists and agnostics for sex education and rubbers...
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,012 AG
    Made my coworker and I both sick as we were busting out tails off, working long hours; all to have some of our tax $ pay for some young woman's poor life decisions..

I understand that a small fraction of our tax dollars go to welfare, but I should not have to pay for others poor life choices! (Or corporate bailouts!)

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing about all the poor life choices of those who have to work construction for a living.

It really makes me sick thinking of how I have to subsidize all those bad life choices culminating in a life of a laborer.

Not really, but the irony wasn't worth passing up.
    You can think the atheists and agnostics for sex education and rubbers...

I'm always reminded of rubbers when I think of atheists and agnostics.

I hope to God they wear them.
    Warning Level 2
    That must be Satan talking.

Shouldn't you be trying to convert them and see the error in their ways?

WWJD?
    I don't know WJWD. That's his business, not mine.
    Warning Level 2
    Sorry, I thought you spoke to him all the time. Even knew what would put you in His good graces or not.

I must have been mistaken.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    The EIC is nothing more than a welfare payment.
    I can see the IRS giving back all but $5 to someone who has paid in/ had withheld income tax if they fall below the poverty line. But giving them more? That’s welfare.
    Tarponator wrote: »
    I must have been mistaken.

It's not your first time.
    Warning Level 2
    Tarponator wrote: »
    Funny, I was just thinking the same thing about all the poor life choices of those who have to work construction for a living.

It really makes me sick thinking of how I have to subsidize all those bad life choices culminating in a life of a laborer.

Not really, but the irony wasn't worth passing up.
    Wow! How PC of you to knock a decent living!

And, I have never once taken welfare or unemployment in my life. I have been a contributer to society my entire adult life.
    And, my former work was more in the engineering field than construction, but that does t matter. Now, I am in the "evil" pharma industry.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,924 AG

You are not having a good day are you.

Captain Todd Approves

Why is it that atheists seem to be as obsessed with God. Why obsess over nothing? :Bike

Captain Todd Approves

mplspug wrote: »
    Why is it that atheists seem to be as obsessed with God. Why obsess over nothing? :Bike

Not gawd, pushy christians, they are the ones pushing their backwards ways on progressive thinkers. There is no gawd, or there is 1000 of them...take your pick.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,788 AG
    I get tired of pushy progressives pushing their insane religion on everyone. So there’s that.
    Not gawd, pushy christians, they are the ones pushing their backwards ways on progressive thinkers. There is no gawd, or there is 1000 of them...take your pick.

See, so obsessed you thought spelling God wrong would upset people.

Pushy? You literally injected God into the conversation and Tarponator ran with it.

Captain Todd Approves

mplspug wrote: »
    See, so obsessed you thought spelling God wrong would upset people.

Pushy? You literally injected God into the conversation and Tarponator ran with it.

I answered your question. That's all you can come up with?
    Yes!

Captain Todd Approves

• NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,447 Admiral
    Wow! How PC of you to knock a decent living!

And, I have never once taken welfare or unemployment in my life. I have been a contributer to society my entire adult life.
    And, my former work was more in the engineering field than construction, but that does t matter. Now, I am in the "evil" pharma industry.

That's one of the corporate sectors in which profit due to .gov regulations at the expense of taxpayers is celebrated by the neverTs. If big pharma doesn't deserve a tax break, who does?
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,452 AG
    mustang190 wrote: »
    The EIC is nothing more than a welfare payment.
    I can see the IRS giving back all but $5 to someone who has paid in/ had withheld income tax if they fall below the poverty line. But giving them more? That’s welfare.

The EIC is welfare for the lower middle class. It was originally passed as a temporary assistance to help offset the social security tax for lower income individuals. It got expanded and became a welfare program disquised as a tax credit. I do agree that it should be eliminated and if these people need welfare, then you give them welfare through the traditional system so they know they are welfare recipients.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,693 Admiral
    $6,318 this yr with 3 or more kids, $5,616 for 2 kids, $3,400 for 1 kid. I read is the EIC cap for 2017 tax yr.