Fish cleaning on head boats

RondoRondo Posts: 762 Officer
What is the law in Florida. Can head boats legally fillet fish on the way in if they keep all the racks? The reason I ask is I fish a head boat out of Stuart regularly and we have to wait until the boat is tied to the dock before any fish are cleaned. Sometimes depending on the catch it take quite a while before the mates are done. I know up north the rules are different.

Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,806 Captain
    Regulated fish must be landed in whole condition
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,196 Moderator
    They can clean grunts, but regulated species must remain intact.
  • notreelynotreely Posts: 653 Officer
    They can clean grunts, but regulated species must remain intact.

Grunts are regulated in Federal waters. I believe down in Stuart the headboats probably fish outside the 3 mile line.
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 776 Officer
    You have to wait I am afraid. God would I love to see that rule change.

Greg
  • RondoRondo Posts: 762 Officer
    Thanks Greg,if anyone would know it,d be you.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,196 Moderator
    notreely wrote: »
    Grunts are regulated in Federal waters. I believe down in Stuart the headboats probably fish outside the 3 mile line.

Not in the Gulf
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,294 Officer
    Yes the South Atlantic regs are draconian also ..........so much so most don't even realize when they are breaking a lot of them.

For example :http://safmc.net/regulations/regulations-by-species/tomtate/

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,008 Officer

The head boats need to have a filet permit in order to filet at sea. If the head boat has been caught in the past for violating the permit rules then their permit may have been taken away.

• XafXaf Posts: 972 Officer

@Barrell said:
    The head boats need to have a filet permit in order to filet at sea. If the head boat has been caught in the past for violating the permit rules then their permit may have been taken away.

Where would one get a "fillet Permit"? I have never seen anything described as a fillet permit in the regulations for the Gulf or South Atlantic waters.

Per (http://www.eregulations.com/florida/fishing/saltwater/reef-fish/)
    Florida Saltwater Fishing
    Reef Fish
     Must remain in whole condition (removal of gills and guts allowed).> @Barrell said:

• BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,008 Officer

Do you own a head boat for hire?

No, but that doesn't answer the question I asked. I have known the operators of a fair number of head boats pretty well over the last 30 years here in Florida and never once heard the term "fillet permit." I'm just curious where you would get such a permit, what the permit rules are and who has lost their permit for violating the permit rules

• Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 776 Officer

No filet permit for headboats in the SA or GOM. I do know they have them up north for certain species.

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,679 Captain

Never heard of a fillet permit in Florida either but it does bring up an interesting subject. Since you can now bring back fillets from the Bahamas. perhaps if some multiday boat operators got together and petitioned for fillets to be brought back on their trips things night be able to change with the proper lobbying. In California, I think they can do it but must leave a skin tag on the fillet for ID. Just imagine if you can fillet, vacuum pack and freeze on the boat.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Thanks for the info Greg.  Guess that's why I never heard of them.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,537 Captain
    When I worked on headboats in Southern California, cleaning fish on the way in was the norm.   A 1" patch of skin had to remain on every fillet for identification purposes.  Even it you had to leave all of the skin on the fillets, it sure would be nice if Florida adopted more options.