Slow Picth Jigging Reel

Bhaizlett123Bhaizlett123 Posts: 50 Greenhorn
Hello,

I was interested in getting a daiwa saltist 2 speed for slow pitch jigging, does anyone know if this would be good a reel for that? If so, what model? I would be jigging for blackfin tuna, grouper, snapper, in waters about 300 to 600 feet.

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,268 Moderator
    Can't go wrong with a Daiwa Saltist. I use a single speed Daiwa Saltist ld35 for vertical jigging, usually in the 250-350 ft depth range and have gone as far as 450ft (but that was both tiring to vertical jig and also close to the limit on my line capacity).

Many of the videos I see on youtube of "slow pitch jigging" look to be shallower than this and done with a very flexible jigging rod and a compact reel. Also expensive gear usually. What's your budget and what rod are you pairing it with? I'm always interested to learn from other jigging enthusiasts.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • Bhaizlett123Bhaizlett123 Posts: 50 Greenhorn
    jcanracer wrote: »
    Can't go wrong with a Daiwa Saltist. I use a single speed Daiwa Saltist ld35 for vertical jigging, usually in the 250-350 ft depth range and have gone as far as 450ft (but that was both tiring to vertical jig and also close to the limit on my line capacity).

Many of the videos I see on youtube of "slow pitch jigging" look to be shallower than this and done with a very flexible jigging rod and a compact reel. Also expensive gear usually. What's your budget and what rod are you pairing it with? I'm always interested to learn from other jigging enthusiasts.

thanks for the reply, i was thinking of paring it up with this rod

http://www.jiggingworld.com/jigging-world-ghost-hunter-slow-pitch-350g-conventional-jigging-rod/

I have seen everyone who's slow pitch jigging with the compact reels, but the thing is i want the 2 speed on it, last time i went jigging, i landed an 80 pound Amber jack at 400 feet and it kicked my butt, so i wanted to get a 2 speed reel for this, so it won't be as tiring.
  • rysherrysher Posts: 365 Deckhand
    how did you know the a.j. was 80lb?
    very interested. got any pics?
    rysher wrote: »
    how did you know the a.j. was 80lb?
    very interested. got any pics?

I weighed it when i got back to the docks, no i didn't take any pics unfortunately :-(
    I know this reel isn't 2 speed, but would this be good for slow pitch jigging Maxel HY25SG Hybrid Star Drag Reel with a levitate rod?
    are you trying to slow pitch the "true japanese slow pitch way" or are you jsut slow jigging and calling it slow pitch?
    To be honest, i just got it into it, so not sure whats the difference... One of my friends just got me some of those japanese jigs, they were quite expensive, but i saw him catch a bunch of fish on it, so i wanted to get into it.
    To be honest, i just got it into it, so not sure whats the difference... One of my friends just got me some of those japanese jigs, they were quite expensive, but i saw him catch a bunch of fish on it, so i wanted to get into it.

what jigs did your friend get?
    if you are talking about true japanese slow pitch jigging you would eventually upgrade on the reel. the saltist has good retrieve rate and gear ratio but it is too wide. a wide reel won't be a problem if you can get and at the same time level the line. also the handle is too short.
    since this is your first reel for slow pitch i would highly suggest a star drag with auto engage like the daiwa saltiga. most of the hits and bites in slow pitch is during the fall, the auto engage helps alot.

the levitate is $500, aother option would be sea falcon at $380 + 7 shipped. you can pick it up and knock off $20 and amke it $360.
    sea falcon is made in japan. https://rayscustomworks.com/slow-pitch-rods/

good read https://rayscustomworks.com/slow-pitch-jigging/
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 610 Officer
    are you trying to slow pitch the "true japanese slow pitch way" or are you jsut slow jigging and calling it slow pitch?

from the article they appear to be the same, all i can surmise is the "true Japanese way" is a very effective gimmick to sell very expensive gear :crowd
    we need more internet money
  • HooganHoogan Posts: 523 Officer
    what jigs did your friend get?
    if you are talking about true japanese slow pitch jigging you would eventually upgrade on the reel. the saltist has good retrieve rate and gear ratio but it is too wide. a wide reel won't be a problem if you can get and at the same time level the line. also the handle is too short.
    since this is your first reel for slow pitch i would highly suggest a star drag with auto engage like the daiwa saltiga. most of the hits and bites in slow pitch is during the fall, the auto engage helps alot.

the levitate is $500, aother option would be sea falcon at $380 + 7 shipped. you can pick it up and knock off $20 and amke it $360.
    sea falcon is made in japan. https://rayscustomworks.com/slow-pitch-rods/

good read https://rayscustomworks.com/slow-pitch-jigging/

What rysher said.
    andrewthe1 wrote: »
    from the article they appear to be the same, all i can surmise is the "true Japanese way" is a very effective gimmick to sell very expensive gear :crowd

you can always go with the cheap made in china gear. it catch fish just the same.
  • benwah22benwah22 Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    Hello,

I was interested in getting a daiwa saltist 2 speed for slow pitch jigging, does anyone know if this would be good a reel for that? If so, what model? I would be jigging for blackfin tuna, grouper, snapper, in waters about 300 to 600 feet.

A 2 speed reel is not needed. In fact, it's just more parts to break. All of the reels that I use for slow pitch jigging are single speed, and have retrieves of 95cm to 125cm per crank. The gear ratios vary from 4.4:1 to 6.2:1, which is not necessarily important, so long as your centimeters per crank are sufficient. You want to be in the 100cm per crank range. Use a units converter if you need this in freedom units.

My primary concern with a Saltist is that it is is a wide spool, and the handle isn't long enough. I've found the sweet spot for most reels is a 95mm handle.

Currently, I'm running Accurate DFS Slammers, which are modified BX500xn reels. Each has a 95mm handle. They hold approximately 550yds of Daiwa j-braid 30lb, and put out approximately 30lbs of drag. I much prefer the drag curve of the Accurates to other lever drag reels that are available, plus, they are serviceable in the US.

Other options would be a Ocea jigger 2000 (or the US version, which is a Trinidad 16n), Maxel Transformer 40, 50 or 60ch, or US versions of Accurate BX500xn, or the 500n Valiant. I would strongly recommend the Accurates.

I can assure you that this method of fishing is not just to sell overpriced gear. It is highly effective. The times are changing in how people are fishing, and, while there are some tried and true older methods, do not discount or write off this technique. It puts fish on the boat, often out-fishing bait by a good margin in the hands of an experienced angler.

The Levitate has the best action on the market, hands down. The Maxel Hybrid you mentioned doesn't have the line capacity to effectively fish 600 feet of water, although it is a fun little reel.
    Instagram:  @mrbennyortiz
    Temple Reef Pro Team
    Aftco Pro Team
    Slow Pitch Jigger
    Occasional Fish Catcher
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,322 Officer
    I just bought a couple daiwa saltist black gold 35H on Amazon........on sale at $129.........a lot of reel for that price.:wink

Also the penn fathom 25 narrow 2 speeds are on the internet now for $195 to $215.

Don't know about "true slow pitch jigging".......but both these reels are narrow with hardly any daylight on either side of my thumb.

And seem pretty well made at those price points.......just sayin.
    https://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-STTBG35TH-Saltist-Conventional-Saltwater/dp/B005BTJ03S/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1514522414&sr=8-4-fkmr1&keywords=daiwa+black+gold+35H

https://www.amazon.com/Penn-Fathom-Lever-Drag/dp/B00LDYLJHK/ref=pd_sbs_200_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B076XMBFDJ&pd_rd_r=X5AQXAQZE5C53Q931VG1&pd_rd_w=OUiYW&pd_rd_wg=f7yUl&refRID=X5AQXAQZE5C53Q931VG1&th=1

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 610 Officer
    I have caught everything from bottom fish to pelagics, fast and slow jigging pitching whatever on penn spinfisher 6500's.

The new "style" is cool but the techniques can be done with a variety of equipment.
    we need more internet money
  • benwah22benwah22 Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    andrewthe1 wrote: »
    I have caught everything from bottom fish to pelagics, fast and slow jigging pitching whatever on penn spinfisher 6500's.

The new "style" is cool but the techniques can be done with a variety of equipment.

Very tough to slow pitch whatever effectively with a spinning reel.
    Instagram:  @mrbennyortiz
    Temple Reef Pro Team
    Aftco Pro Team
    Slow Pitch Jigger
    Occasional Fish Catcher