From Hook to Cook

MrBaitMrBait Posts: 4 Greenhorn
Hello fellow fishermen. I am currently writing a book that deals with what to do with your catch from the time you hook it, to the time you’re ready to cook it. I need your help. I’m looking to you for how-to tips and tricks as well as subjects you would like to see covered. I already have a basic outline and most of research finished, but I still feel it’s missing something. I’m hoping with your advice and questions I can fill in the blanks. I thank you in advance for your sage wisdom.

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,271 Moderator
    IMO, one of the most important topics you can cover is storing the fish you intend to keep: Dispatch swiftly, bleed them (if its a species that benefits from this, and most do), and deposit the fish in a slurry of ice & saltwater. With that first step, there should be no excuse for spoiled fish when you get back to the fillet table.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    I feel the same as Jcanracer and am interested in Ike Jime which carries fish treatment a step further.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,069 AG
    Mine just go on blue ice blocks. Fillet when home, then vacuumed sealed and froze. Have not had a bad one yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Flash wrote: »
    Mine just go on blue ice blocks. Fillet when home, then vacuumed sealed and froze. Have not had a bad one yet.

But have you had a great one? :wink Check out the ike jime - there are some articles that actually compare the fillets after a few days and the ike jime ones are white and moist and the others kinda red and dry.

Pretty interesting stuff.

Also aging fish. Slightly aged fish is better than fresh. Yep. It's true.
    Cyclist wrote: »

He smokes most of his fish, he wouldn't know the difference :rotflmao
    Just kidding Flash!:beer
    jcanracer wrote: »
    He smokes most of his fish, he wouldn't know the difference :rotflmao
    Just kidding Flash!:beer

Nothing wrong with smoking fish! As long as you don't use and electric smoker! :wink
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,587 Moderator

I do seem to like fish after it's been frozen better than same day fresh ?
    "You'll get your weather"
    http://www.anglers-secrets.com/what-closing-does-to-the-fish/

Use the link for the chart.

Aging Process

Let’s look more closely at the aging process.

The proper closing, Ike-Jime, and proper storage makes the aging period longer. There’s more time before decomposition, so the meat can sit to mature and develop Umami components for rich flavor.

Umami comes from the Japanese word, a savory taste, now recognized as one of the 5 basic tastes with sweet, bitter, sour, and salty. Our tongue has receptors for L-glutamate. These amino acids in various foods are what Umami taste is based on.

Below is a chart of the aging process. It depends on what fish how fast the aging process progresses. Some are fast and some are slow. Even the same fish is different by the location, by the season, and by individuals. But proper closing maximizes each fish aging period.
    Good sushi chefs senses the individual conditions and controls the aging process, and serve each fish at the right time.
    The chart shows the process but the time frame is just a general idea. It really depends on various factors.
  • MrBaitMrBait Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Thank you all for your responses. They tell me that I'm heading down the right path.
    Nothing wrong with smoking fish! As long as you don't use and electric smoker! :wink
    Well played sir, well played.
    But have you had a great one? :wink Check out the ike jime - there are some articles that actually compare the fillets after a few days and the ike jime ones are white and moist and the others kinda red and dry.

Pretty interesting stuff.

I'm happy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Propane smoked fish is good !!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Flash wrote: »
    Propane smoked fish is good !!

Yes it is! Just giving you a hard time. Nothing better than fresh mullet out of the smokehouse.
  • ShedheadShedhead Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    I'll just put this here ..
    But hey dare, what do I know.. I'm just a Yankee salmon fisherman.. or no? See some of my pictures on instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BDMhg_NKD21/... search jamers_h
  • ififoodsififoods Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    seriously.. great to know about that!