Home General Fishing

Post some of the stupidest things you have seen fisherman do on or off the water.

2»

Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    Westwall01 wrote: »
    Sitting at a boat ramp on a busy weekend is the best entertainment one can possibly have. I've seen a truck slide into the water after the guy driving it got out to pull his kayak out of the bed without putting it in park/emergency brake. When the truck was pulled from the water by a tow truck the truck was in neutral. Saw a guy sink his boat after backing down the ramp without removing the tie downs. Multiple jackknifed trailers. Had a guy with no fishing license throw his fishing pole over the side when I approached and then claimed he wasn't fishing! I could go on and on

Gotta add the boat that completely fell off a trailer at the ramp today too
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,481 Officer
    I was returning from the back country at Flamingo in the Buttonwood Canal when a 17-18 ft center console boat with a couple passes by me in the narrow canal. Right after they passed me the guy tries to give the helm over to his wife or girlfriend, but she looses her grip on the steering wheel in the hand over and the boat spins out of control and comes to a full stop sideways directly in front of me. i had to turn my indestructible aluminum 16 ft Lowe into the mangroves to avoid smashing into them. Luckily i had just moved my rods out from four vertical rod holders were i normally kept them (for some unknown reason) so they escaped damage. I also got luckily and did not injure my self on several mangrove branches that hit my body. They then sped off towards the nearby ramp without either one of them even looking back at me to see if i was OK. I had to slowly count to 1000 at the ramp to keep my cool while they retrieved their boat like nothing happened.
    Giimoozaabi
  • dcrdcr Posts: 365 Deckhand
    Saw a guy on the shoulder of the interstate with an empty trailer; boat in the median.
  • John HaggertyJohn Haggerty Posts: 225 Deckhand
    Years ago we had a tradition to bobber fish shiners the opening evening of Northern pike season in Canada. We'd anchor up about a dozen small boats at the mouth of a small bay. Around the corner comes the large Ranger on plane. He stops in middle of the group and starts to fish with his buddy. After a couple of minutes he says $%^& this, I'm outta here. Lays the throttle down as his buddy tumbles off the boat into the water. Water was probably about 34 degrees. Lots of guys laughing for days!
    I just remembered something i witnessed about 55 years ago in Biscayne Bay. While I was fishing on the first bridge of the Rickenbacker Causeway i was watching a person being pulled behind a 16 ft boat with three people in it. The boat seemed to be barely powerful enough to pull a skier with such a heavy load in the boat. They were making a lot of turns, but on one turn the helmsman turned so sharp that he and two others fell out of the boat. Then the boat went into tight circles at a much faster speed since it now had a much lighter load. The four people now in the water were dodging the boat every few seconds or so, as it spun around in circles, since the throttle was wide open. After a good while i suppose the prop caught the ski rope and brought the boat to a full stop. The four people in the water managed to climb back into the small boat and slowly left the area.
    Giimoozaabi
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    Tarponator wrote: »
    I once saw a guy fall out of his idling boat, swim 3/4 of a mile to shore, then run two miles down the beach to try to find his boat (which was found and boarded by a friend who was calling the Coast Guard when he spotted the boater on shore).

That guy was me.

Bet you wear the kill switch lanyard now!
    I once witnessed a guy hook a bull dorado pushing 30 lb's on a light spinner some 20 miles offshore. He fought the fish for about an hour, but when he finally got the fish almost to gaffing range it took off and made a long run directly under their 24 ft I/O cabin type boat. He leaned way over the gunnel to keep the 12 lb test mono from contacting the boat's keel. The fish now was some 40 yd's on the other side of the hull so he leaned over even more to prevent the light line from breaking off on the hull when all of sudden he leaned over too far and over he went into the ocean. As he was sinking he decided to swim under the boat's hull to reach the same side as the big bull. When he popped up on the other side he was now some 15 feet from the boat, and he was having a difficult time kicking back, since both of his hands were busy holding on to his sunglasses, hat, and the spinning rod. He also had to loosen the reel's drag to get closer to the boat since the fish was pulling him away. When he got about 7 feet from the boat he instructed his wife to "Gaff Him" At first she did not understand what he was telling her to do, but she finally "got it" and reached out far enough with their gaff so he could grab hold of the hook and be pulled back. The boat had a fixed 4 foot folding dive ladder on the transom which enabled him to climb back into the boat rather quickly and resume the battle. The next day the fish was taken off the ice and it weighed in at 27 lb's. (They had been sleeping on the boat for several days)

I was this person.
    Giimoozaabi
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,278 AG
    Cats eye that's a solid story.
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • ncdeadncdead Posts: 545 Officer
    We were trolling out of marathon years ago and had a bird chain on the shotgun...in a 22 foot wailer. Stupid to begin with because it was very very rough....one of those days when it's difficult to keep the boat straight. Well I made a sharp turn and the line went slack and got caught in the prop. Almost immediately about forty yards of line got wrapped up in the prop and the engine stalled...so we are dead in the water.....my brother and I grabbed filet knives and started hacking away at the forty pound mono that was wrapped up in the prop with waves breaking over the back of boat on top of us...we finally got the boat cranked up, looked at each other and said screw this, let's head back to the dock and call this a day.
  • Bite 1Bite 1 Posts: 489 Deckhand
    Sat and watched Indiana guy pull into okeetanti in Chobee.Had matching boat ,truck, trailer, color wise.He Got to talking to people that liked it. After hooking up( not driving on trailer) he was so distracted that he just drove out boat ramp dragging his perfect rig up the boat ramp. My Jaw dropped. Bottom eatin' up.U know that hurt.
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 771 Officer
    Pictures often speak louder than words.

From the me, myself and I files:
  • Bite 1Bite 1 Posts: 489 Deckhand
    OWE,Or oh shi!!!!
  • LUKEtheSPOOKLUKEtheSPOOK Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I work at two Marinas- everytime some **** NY sportfish captain wakes an entire marina, and the dock master will say something [professionally] to the at-fault captain who ALWAYS blames in on "that trawler that just went by".....
    I once was high speed trolling (Solo) on a weekday some 10 miles out in the Gulf Stream on a flat calm day. i had a couple of lures 100 & 300 yd's out when a spotted a boat doing about 35 to 40 mph coming up from the rear. They apparently did not think i was trolling since i was running at about 15 mph. As they closed it was obvious they were going to cut over my wake close behind me and i would loose both lures and a lot of line, so i made a severe hard turn to keep them from going over my lines. Only mistake i made was that i was in my new power catamaran and forgot that cats do not bank like a deep vee boat. When i made the hard turn i was thrown off the helm and almost went overboard. The other boat did not ever look back at me as they zoomed pass my bow. Before i took the cat out again i installed an electronic tether that will shut off the engine if you fall overboard and bought a PLB with GPS that i wear.
    Giimoozaabi
  • Wra22Wra22 Posts: 202 Deckhand
    I was kayak Fishing in the Loxahatchee river one day when a “captain” in a small center console went by me trolling. As he rounded a turn he lost sight of me (if he even cared) and pulled one of his lines across my neck. The line pushed harder as he went around the bend. Eventually, I cut his line with the knife I keep in case of entanglement. Needless to say: he was angry with me.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    He should have been apologetic. Amazing.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    Cockroach bay one Saturday afternoon I sat in amazement as 4 grown men tried for 30 minutes to load a 16' jon boat onto a trailer by power loading, then offloading and readjusting, then powerloading again.... They could have lifted the boat up between the 4 of them and moved it on the trailer any which way they wanted and been off to the races in 5 minutes....
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,335 Moderator
    Pontoon boat running across kings bay Crystal River. Someone yells manatee and all 8 or 10 run to the bow to look. Submarined the bow and threw several in the cold winter water . Rest got dashed on the deck.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,545 AG
    Ladder Man wrote: »
    Seen a couple of guys unhook before backing down leading to their boats sitting on the concrete at the edge of the ramp when they stopped. One was a really nice power cat that looked brand new.

I’ve seen this before. It was an amazing thing to see. And then 4 guys pushed it back onto the trailer and backed it into the water. I don’t think they even looked for any damages.
  • StryderStryder Posts: 172 Deckhand
    Every summer I run a friends salmon boat for him as his personal guide. Just finished changing a treble hook on a spoon, bam another rod pops I grab the rod set the hook and pass the rod to my buddy and return to the helm to drive while he fights the fish. Spoon with brand new treble hook is on the sit where I left it. Taint that funny having a treble hook deep in the taint. Ended up having to be surgically removed. Attachment not found.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky

Stryder wrote: »
    Every summer I run a friends salmon boat for him as his personal guide. Just finished changing a treble hook on a spoon, bam another rod pops I grab the rod set the hook and pass the rod to my buddy and return to the helm to drive while he fights the fish. Spoon with brand new treble hook is on the sit where I left it. Taint that funny having a treble hook deep in the taint. Ended up having to be surgically removed. Attachment not found.
    OUCH!! That had to hurt...holy crap.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,258 Captain
    ncdead wrote: »
    OUCH!! That had to hurt...holy crap.

This is one of those times when you find out who are your real friends.
    I was sitting eating lunch at Black Point Marina when a guy with a brand new 17 foot aqusport pulls up. still had plastic on flip back seat. He backs down and ties a rope to the bow cleat and walks the other end down the dock. He carefully flips the rope over the guide on the trailer and ties the rope to a peeling. He goes back unstops the boat and backs trailer in until boat floats off. He then puts car in drive and hauls *** up the ramp. The long road catches a bunk and almost planed the boat up the ramp.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,545 AG
    On a very slow day on a pier a guy decided to get some of the gotcha plugs tangled around the pilings underneath with a shark hook and what looked like 90# line.

He got a couple too. Then he hooked onto one that was a bit more stuck. He was pulling pretty hard when the lighter line of the gotcha gave way and that big hook came back fast. It hit him on the side of the palm. After a brief inspection it was decided it buried in a bone, ambulance hauled him off, never heard what became of that.

That looked bad, but Stryders story wins.
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 771 Officer
    I have yet another that I am going to tell on myself. It was April 22 my birthday and I took the day off to go fishing. Well, I went to Pueblo Reservoir in Colorado. You know its cold in Colorado during April. Ok so I am by myself I unhook my boat from the trailer winch line and low and behold, my boat floats off the trailer. Did I mention there was a thin layer of ice on the water? So its gray light out and I’m all by myself and my boat is floating off. Well, I get out of the truck and run on to the dock. The boat is too far away for me to grab it. So I have a decision to make and I decide to strip. Yep I go skinny-dipping in April in Colorado get to my boat, climb in it and motor back to the dock. Once I tie up, I grab my clothes and jump in the truck and crank the heater to full blast. End of story, I dry off warm up, and go fishing.
    finbully wrote: »
    I have yet another that I am going to tell on myself. It was April 22 my birthday and I took the day off to go fishing. Well, I went to Pueblo Reservoir in Colorado. You know its cold in Colorado during April. Ok so I am by myself I unhook my boat from the trailer winch line and low and behold, my boat floats off the trailer. Did I mention there was a thin layer of ice on the water? So its gray light out and I’m all by myself and my boat is floating off. Well, I get out of the truck and run on to the dock. The boat is too far away for me to grab it. So I have a decision to make and I decide to strip. Yep I go skinny-dipping in April in Colorado get to my boat, climb in it and motor back to the dock. Once I tie up, I grab my clothes and jump in the truck and crank the heater to full blast. End of story, I dry off warm up, and go fishing.

We share the same birthday. But in my story, it is also April, but in Clearwater FL at the marina. I back down the ramp too fast and the boat gets away from my son who was holding the rope. He looks at me "dad the boat's getting away"......"well go get it!!!!!!". He jumps in and swims out brings it back and i get him towel dried off. Bad day fishing, boat broke down, scraped the pilings with my rods (which should not have been out yet.
    Several decades ago my wife and I would spend two to three days on our venerable 24 ft cabin boat sleeping in calm water behind islands in the upper Florida Keys. On this particular trip in spring we launched out of Tavernier and stored the boat trailer at a house that was owned by a neighbor of ours in Miami Dade County. We could not leave the trailer at the ramp, since this particular park closes at dusk and prohibits overnight parking of trailers.

We always topped off the fuel tank before these mini trips and normally we fished the reef which is only 5 miles out from the boat ramp so we never had to refuel. On this trip we ventured far out into the Gulf Stream (15-20 miles) trolling for dolphin and did quite well. On the second day i looked at my fuel gauge that was located in the deck above the fuel tank and I proclaimed "Wow we are getting great gas mileage". On the third day while returning from far out into the Gulf Stream i took another look at the gauge and totally panicked since the gauge's needle had not moved down one bit. So i struck the gauge a few times with my hand and to my dismay the needle drooped down to near empty. I then told my wife we probably were not going to make it back to the ramp or even to the reef. (This was way before the common man had any fancy electronic aids, i.e. Loran C or GPS had not be invented yet). Since we were out of sight of land and Tavernier back then lacked any tall structures, i took a educated guess on the shortest compass bearing to the reef where we could anchor. Just as we crossed the reef the engine sucked up the last of our fuel and shut down. I got on the radio and asked anyone in VHF range if they would sell us some fuel or even trade for some dolphin, since we had a large fish box full of iced down fish. It must have been a slow day for fishing, since all we got back were curses, insults and criticism like "It severed you right for going out so far", etc.

Then i realized the light NE wind was blowing us directly towards the boat ramp that was about 6 miles distance, so we just kicked back and waited.... and waited. About four hours later the light breeze pushed us within a mile of the ramp, but it was obvious we were going to miss the dock by at least 1/2 mile. This prompted me to disconnect the neoprene fuel line between the fuel tank and the Chevy V8 engine, then my wife held the fuel line into the bottom of a gallon can of Coleman fuel we carried for our two burner stove. It was just enough fuel to get us back to the dock. After this experience i added a 20 gal steel drum to the deck for extended runs, or two to four 6 gal plastic fuel jugs secured on the bow. since our heavy boat only had a 55 gal fuel tank. later i determined a full tank would only power (On plane) the V 8 engine for about 5 - 7 hours depending on sea conditions and load.
    Giimoozaabi
    The gotcha plug post made me recall an incident I witnessed on a pier in North Carolina when this dude caught a bluefish on a light tackle rod. He was was holding the bent over rod looking down at the fish flopping around directly below his face and I was thinking....no,no,no man bad idea. Well sure enough the gotcha plug popped out of the fishes mouth and shot right up into this dudes eyebrow. Everyone around gave a collective holy **** kind of response and he walked back down to the pier house with the lure hanging off his eyebrow and had the the hook clipped off and removed. He was back out there fishing a short time later to much of the 'bet you won't do that again' kinda banter we were just glad he was ok...seemed like a nice enough guy.
    I hooked a big mud fish while fishing by myself in the glades. Went to unhook rattle trap and the fish jumped impairing me on the hook. I had a hold of the rattle trap with the mudfish and my finger attached with my left hand. Everytime I tried pulling one of us lose with the right hand the fish would jump and drive the hook in deeper. Finally I reached into my pocket got my 380 and shot the mudfish. It took all the jump out of him and I was able to unhook both of us.