Home General Fishing

Post some of the stupidest things you have seen fisherman do on or off the water.

The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,480 Officer
Please do not list serious accidents or tragedies. but just unintelligent or crazy behavior. Of course we all have probably committed the most common mistakes like forgetting to put in the transom drain plug etc; so try to post some of the more unusual behavior you have witnessed boaters or fisherman engage in on or off the water.

Here are a few of mine:

Noticed a boat a few blocks away from my house where the owner stored his rods in the boat's rod holders 24/7, in his backyard for months at a time in full sunlight.

Just before i was ready to depart a busy boat ramp i watched a solo boater butt his way ahead of half a dozen other boaters waiting for an open dock. In his haste he forgot to raise up the boat's outdrive as he loaded his boat onto the trailer. A few miles later i spied him flying down a busy thoroughfare with the battered outdrive bouncing along the asphalt.

Way back in the early 1960's while on vacation with my parents we stopped late one morning on a bridge at the mouth of the St. Lucie River to see what had been caught. One guy had several huge snook in the 20 to 30 lb class on a rope that he had hung down into the river to keep them alive. He was asked by another tourist couple if he would pull up his catch for a photo, so he obliged with the help of two other strong men. Soon another pair of tourists came along and also wanted to take a photo of his incredible catch. He was more then happy to oblige, but on the second hoist the rope broke and the fish dropped back into the water. The fisherman was so upset on losing his catch he jumped off the bridge and tried to recover his stringer of fish. I remember him swimming after the huge snook that were escaping from the broken stringer. My parents did not stay any longer to see how he managed to get back to land. When we got away from the crowd of on lookers we all burst into so much laughter we could barely walk.
Giimoozaabi

Replies

• Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,361 Officer
    I have seen a few people let go of their rods to net fish from the jetty and loose their rods in the heat of the heat of the moment.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    I always like the guys that throw their anchor like it's an olympic sport and then wonder why they never catch anything. Only to move 15 minutes later and do the same thing. Couple that with an 80's 2 stroke that has to be revved up to redline to start and it's a good recipe for catfish city.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • tagtag Posts: 8,920 Admiral
    I was at anchor in the river for a little bottom fishing when a guy and his girl motored up right behind my transom and dropper their anchor inches from my motor. I was screaming at him the whole time and he said don’t worry I’ll let out a lot of rope. Un-freaking-believable.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,352 Admiral
    The one I see fairly regularly are folks running up on sand bars. Not sure why so many people think inshore water is deep. Earlier this year a pontoon boat was stuck up on a sandbar, it was quite funny, watching everybody stand in back attempting to motor off.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,241 AG
    My sister sent me a picture, they were out at New Smyrna fishing the north jetties, they were about 75' from the end of the jetty catching blues. Wile E Coyote decides he's going to take his pursuit WAC inbetween my sister's 1720 and the jetty, there was more than enough room for him to go around, but he had to be Billy-****, that or he was just completely ignorant, either way, inexcusable. Cuts too close to the jetty.....BAM! Now he's teetering on a rock, foot broken off, sea sawing back and forth with the waves.... My BIL knows his foots missing so when the guy throws it in reverse and tries to back off, he bursts into laughter, and taking pics. He then offers to help the guy out by pulling him off the rocks...."Nah, i'm good".....ok pal, enjoy your afternoon and ruining your hull.

Complete stupidity born out of ignorance. The same kind of people you see driving on the road and you go to pass them, and they speed up.
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • Bite 1Bite 1 Posts: 489 Deckhand
    Tried to fish alone after 9 weeks in cast for achilles repair. Thought I had it figured out so not to ruin cast. Loop rope around wench float off no problem, until loop slipped off and boat catches current and floats down ICW with me standing on 1 crutch at boat ramp watching boat float away. Good Sam. saw and saved it and I limped back home
  • Bite 1Bite 1 Posts: 489 Deckhand
    Rods up in holders under railroad bridge at Stuart at high tide. OW that hurt your pocket book.
  • FogFog Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    Did not put the plug in the boat before launching at the ramp. Got the teaser caught up in the prop. Yea I did those. A new mate on the boat and we were dropping on a wreck known for real big fish, I told him lock down the drag on that 80 wide and do NOT TAKE IT OUT OF THE ROD HOLDER. The fish hooked up and he did take it out..I was laughing my **** off as he waa drug on his knees to the transom. While yelling at him to back the drag off. I'm smiling at the memory even now.
    I have plenty more when I have time to post em.
  • John HaggertyJohn Haggerty Posts: 225 Deckhand
    About 25 years ago I sunk my boat tied to a dock in shallow water. I left the livewell pump running and we went out to the go-go. When we got home at 3am I have friends waiting to see my reaction. I jump in the boat, filled with 35 degree water, stumble and fall. I bail only to realize that the transom was under water. I still fish out of that boat today.
  • squidvicioussquidvicious Posts: 529 Officer
    let's see....

the genius' that put the fuel nozzle in the rod holder - if you're that stupid to do it,you shouldn't be allowed to own a boat

the genius' that forget the hull plug - that's always a good laugh

the genius' with their bunk trailers,attempting to load the boat at low tide,these guys end up losing the truck in the water

the genius' that attempt to "repair" every problem with their motor,by pouring sea foam into the fuel tank

should I continue ?
    can we please stop using the word ISSUE ? it's a PROBLEM
    :wink
  • squidvicioussquidvicious Posts: 529 Officer
    My sister sent me a picture, they were out at New Smyrna fishing the north jetties, they were about 75' from the end of the jetty catching blues. Wile E Coyote decides he's going to take his pursuit WAC inbetween my sister's 1720 and the jetty, there was more than enough room for him to go around, but he had to be Billy-****, that or he was just completely ignorant, either way, inexcusable. Cuts too close to the jetty.....BAM! Now he's teetering on a rock, foot broken off, sea sawing back and forth with the waves.... My BIL knows his foots missing so when the guy throws it in reverse and tries to back off, he bursts into laughter, and taking pics. He then offers to help the guy out by pulling him off the rocks...."Nah, i'm good".....ok pal, enjoy your afternoon and ruining your hull.

Complete stupidity born out of ignorance. The same kind of people you see driving on the road and you go to pass them, and they speed up.

forgive my stupidity:

"foot" - exactly what is a "foot" ?? i'm completely lost ???
    can we please stop using the word ISSUE ? it's a PROBLEM
    :wink
    forgive my stupidity:

"foot" - exactly what is a "foot" ?? i'm completely lost ???

The lower unit... as in... he had no prop.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,250 Captain
    I used to bring my lunch to Black Point marina a lot and sit and eat. They used to have a few trees and picnic tables by the ramp. Many entertaining lunches were spent there. County did away with trees, too many people enjoying the show.
  • fishonfishon Posts: 979 Officer
    Headed out to deep sea fish. Friend felt like he needed to run the lines out the back of the boat to remove the twists. Well we are traveling about 25 mph, he proceeds to free line a few rods with 100 yards of line out. Then pop, bank, pop, bang, all the lines drags start to sing and then all rods are with out line. They had Broken off at the knot. He had left the swivels on all the rods as he let out the line, to much pull/friction on the line and he was spooled on 4 rods prior to us dropping a line off shore. Back in the 80's when mono needed to be untwisted, but not at 25 mph with a swivel let on the end!
    Triton 1870 Bay Sport, 115 merc. 4/stroke,
    Fish Shallow saltwater, lakes central Fl. And Lake Oconee Ga.
    Live in Lakeland
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,241 AG
    Bite 1 wrote: »
    Rods up in holders under railroad bridge at Stuart at high tide. OW that hurt your pocket book.

i saw someone with a tower do this under Vaca cut this past summer. I saw them going in but before i could get the words out.....SCREEEEECHHHHHHHHH
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Last Friday I saw some guys driving their broken down truck home through Gainesville powered by their trailered airboat. Have the video. Oh wait, maybe that was actually smart.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,012 Moderator
    At a ramp with a good cross current one afternoon when a guy wearing a Mr. T starter set arrives with his go fast boat painted flaming Orange Red and Yellow, named something like "El Rocho" written on the side. He backs his similarly painted pick up down the ramp with a float on trailer, jumps back in the boat and tries to center it perfectly against the current pushing him sideways. After nosing the boat up gently about 4 times, each time a little off center, he backs the boat up again and this time opens the throttle all the way up. The boat jumped the trailer and ended up in the bed of the pick-up
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,480 Officer
    Many years ago after i bought a used 16 ft Aluminum Lowe to fish Flamingo i took it out on Biscayne Bay to test the almost brand new rope start 25 hp Evinrude that came with it. While i was in Stillsville a huge storm came out of the southeast, so i took off to try and outrun it back to the Coconut Grove ramp where i launched. While I was backing down the trailer all h3ll broke loose with lightning strikes and super heavy rain, so i took cover in my truck while i watched the boat in the rear view mirror still tied to the dock. The rain was so intense it swamped the boat in about 40 minutes and everything that could float started to drift out of the boat. The only thing that saved the boat from sinking was the flotation under the cross member seats. Before i launched it again i added a bilge pump and a battery.
    Giimoozaabi
  • Ladder ManLadder Man Posts: 1,198 Officer
    Seen a couple of guys unhook before backing down leading to their boats sitting on the concrete at the edge of the ramp when they stopped. One was a really nice power cat that looked brand new.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,511 Captain
    Coming home form fishing in Port Angeles, WA many years ago my buddy dropped his boat off the trailer in the main intersection. Both ropes broke on a roller trailer. The police stopped traffic so we could winch the boat back on the trailer. Another one was when I set the gas tank on the line. We didn't get too far that morning.
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 672 Officer
    When I lived in Boca Raton,a man backed his 25"boat and VW bug down the ramp.Boat and VW
    slowly moved down the ramp on there own till it finally stopped and water pouring thru the sunken
    VW's open window.Both fun watching that than fishing!
  • tailwaterstailwaters Posts: 122 Deckhand
    Someone told me once “lessons aren’t free and the really good ones cost the most”. Although this particular experience didn’t have a huge economical cost, what it did to my pride more than made up for it. When I was in my mid 20’s I was out at one of our local lakes duck hunting out of a kayak. Something I grew up doing and had done a hundred times in the past. As I paddling along the edge of some cypress trees a few wood ducks jumped up. It was a blue bird afternoon and for anyone that has never hunted wood ducks before, getting an early opportunity is something you need to take advantage of. Most of the times they fly after legal hours with those type of conditions. As the birds got up I reached down to pick up my shotgun. It was resting on some camo netting between my legs. Somewhere in the process I hear a loud BOOM! After taking a few seconds to compose myself from the unexpected noise I realized what had just happen. I had blown a foot and a half long hole through the bottom of my kayak. Needless to say those things don’t float too long with that type of damage. Luckily the shore line was only 150 yards away. After pulling my boat up on land it was time to evaluate the situation. It’s about 40 outside, the sun is setting within the hour, I’m soaking wet in the middle of a swap and am not sure how to get back. My girlfriend at the time (wife now) had said she was going to cook me a nice dinner that evening. As much as I didn’t want to there was no getting around it. Time to swallow my pride and tell her not only will I miss the dinner she put so much time in preparing but also the guy she is dating is a complete dumb **** for shooting a hole in his boat. She still laughs about it today and gives me the occasional jab. For me it was a valuable experience. Although we all think we are safe when handling fire arms, once you have one go off unexpectedly you realize you can never be too cautious.
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 488 Deckhand
    Me and a buddy were snook fishing in the Apollo Beach canals off Tampa bay late one night in his canoe. We were quietly paddling around throwing plugs and had caught a couple. We were rounding a corner with a seawall on one side and mangroves on the other. As we rounded the corner an old man in a wife beater and boxer shorts started cussing us out telling us that this was his canal and for us to get the hell out of there. We were so shocked that we actually apologized instead of cussing him back and hit the paddle a time or two to get moving down the canal... While he is still cussing us he makes a cast... You could tell how heave his line was by the noise it made coming off the spinning reel. Sounded like about 25 lb test... Well in his haste, he cast his large plug across the canal and got it hung in the mangroves... Normally we would have turned right around to get it out for him, but while we were watching him crank down as hard as he could, with the rod pointing directly at the plug he gripped the spool and started backing up. The sound of that plug ripping out of the mangrove and whistling across the canal back at him wasn't nearly as bad as hearing how hard it hit him right in the face. He yelled out and by the time he hit the ground also had both hands stuck to the treble hooks... We paddled off shaking our heads at what we had just witnessed.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,480 Officer
    Back in the 1960's i had a friend (14 or 15 years old) that was taking a short rest before sunrise after he pedaled his bike up the steep hill on the Rickenbacker Causeway Draw Bridge that spanned the Intercoastal Waterway. He was on his way to fish the winter mackerel run on the catwalk that was on the east side of that same bridge. The only place to sit down away from vehicle traffic was on the bridge's railing. While he was resting in the dark next to the bridge tender's control booth a car approached quietly and slowly behind him and the occupants banged on the side of their car and screamed so loud that it startled him to the point that he fell off the bridge to the bay some 30 to 35 feet below. He managed to find a steel ladder on a cement abutment that he used to get out of the chilly water and spied a steel door that was directly below the bridge tender's control booth.... only problem, it was locked. He was forced to scream and bang on the door for quite some time to wake up the bridge tender above. My friend managed not loose his rod & reel in the fall; When the bridge tender finally came down and saw him holding a fishing rod he chewed him out that he was trespassing and that fishing there was strictly forbidden. The tender then told him he could NOT use his stairs to get back to the top of the bridge. My friend told him that he actually fell from the bridge, but the tender wasn't buying it. Finally after a lot of persuasion the tender finally relented and allowed him to use of the stairs. Later just after sunrise i bumped into him on the catwalk soaking wet, and he told me what had transpired in the dark.
    Giimoozaabi
    I got a trifecta tonight...

1-Guy in a skiff drives down current through the pilings of the bridge... then turns around up current, drives directly over where he's about to fish.
    2-While doing this he has his super neat gonna attract some fish underwater green light on (this actually scares fish when you're moving at all)
    3- He did my favorite olympic event... the anchor toss. Twice.
  • LUKEtheSPOOKLUKEtheSPOOK Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    we were trolling for wahoo off fort Lauderdale with 8-10 lines [cant remember exactly] and a jet-ski genius decides to start jumping our wake. about the third or fourth time he got clothes-lined right off the jet ski! i can still see him catching all those lines in the face! once he got back up he chased us down to cuss us out... like it was somehow our fault...then as he drove off his jet ski sucked up an 8" yozuri plug into his impellor. rod got spooled obviously. too funny! it's a miracle he didn't get hooked or worse!
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    Sitting at a boat ramp on a busy weekend is the best entertainment one can possibly have. I've seen a truck slide into the water after the guy driving it got out to pull his kayak out of the bed without putting it in park/emergency brake. When the truck was pulled from the water by a tow truck the truck was in neutral. Saw a guy sink his boat after backing down the ramp without removing the tie downs. Multiple jackknifed trailers. Had a guy with no fishing license throw his fishing pole over the side when I approached and then claimed he wasn't fishing! I could go on and on
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    I once saw a guy fall out of his idling boat, swim 3/4 of a mile to shore, then run two miles down the beach to try to find his boat (which was found and boarded by a friend who was calling the Coast Guard when he spotted the boater on shore).

That guy was me.
  • ncdeadncdead Posts: 545 Officer
    Well..the first was something I did...I was fishing on a rock jetty for flounder with a Carolina rig with a one ounce egg sinker and I got snagged about 15 feet off the rocks. Thought the water was deeper than it was. I started snatching the rod to either pull loose or break off..well it pulled loose and shot out of the water like a musket ball and came straight at my face. I turned my head at the last second and the one ounce chunk of lead hit me in the ear at about 100 miles an hour. My sunglasses when flying, blood was running down the side of my face. I thought my skull was fractured. Everything went kinda gray. It was scary. If I hadn't turned my head at the last second it would have likely broken all my front teeth out.
    The second was when we were fishing off a bridge in North Carolina and these dudes beside us had some very expensive rods and were bottom fishing when this idiot in a boat comes speeding by too close and snags their lines and both rods snapped just above the handle. It sounded like gun shots....bam, bam.....they were pissed off to say the least.
  • ncdeadncdead Posts: 545 Officer
    Another happened on the beach not fishing related. Someone swimming was in trouble apparently and the rescue squad was called. They drove the ambulance down on beach and the guy driving got out and didn't set the brake I guess. The ambulance rolled down the beach into the surf and was about half submerged with waves breaking over the hood.....a tow truck had to pull in out of the water.