Home General Fishing

Fishfinder/Chartplotter HELP!

vs-MA21vs-MA21 Posts: 43 Greenhorn
Hello,

I'm in the market for a new Fishfinder/Chartplotter and need some advice/ help, please! I fish inshore 99% of the time and would like a 7-9 inch screen at $500 or less for the unit and transducer... I'm keeping mind it's probably going to cost me $200+ or - to have it installed. Any recommendations would be appreciated.*

I did see that West Marine is having a Black Friday sale and are offering two units that look interesting to me:

1.* Lowrance HOOK- 7" DownScan with transducer for $329 but then I would have to buy a chart chip (think the chips are about $200)

2. Garmin echoMAP CHIRP 74CV* 7" with ClearVU transducer and preloaded with BlueChart g2 HD Coastal Cartography (So I wouldn't need a chip)

What are you thoughts on these two units or do you have any other recommendations in the 7-9" under $500 range!?*

Thanks and have a happy Thanksgiving!

Replies

• austjjaustjj Posts: 152 Deckhand
    I just bought 73 dv with chirp, just using at home very user friendly. See which transducer is included with the cv.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    Save up your pennies and get one with side scan.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • vs-MA21vs-MA21 Posts: 43 Greenhorn
    austjj wrote: »
    I just bought 73 dv with chirp, just using at home very user friendly. See which transducer is included with the cv.

It comes with the ClearVU transducer.
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    Save up your pennies and get one with side scan.
    What are the main benefits of side scan for inshore use? West Marine also has the same Garmin unit with side scan and SideVu transducer for $599.
    Side scan really shines inshore in shallow water. You can see fish that you would have never known were there and cast at them. You can also see fish around pilings under docks. It's just another tool in the bag. Worth every penny IMO.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,511 Captain
    Forget the Hook. I bought one last year and it's probably the slowest refreshing GPS unit on market. I have the Navionics chip and if you're not going dead slow you'll over run your WP every time. However the locator is great.
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 672 Officer
    Only problem I've had with this GPS is the transducer.Because of the side imaging
    the transducer is 10"long and it was kicking up a wake high to hit the trim tab switch
    on side of a Yamaha.Not good!
  • FreetimeFreetime Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    I have the 54dv and its too small and the transducer affected by motor caused wake bubbles at speed. In the intercostal I want forward views so looking at the upgrading. Anyone added the new panoptix transducer yet?
    Per Garmin site "All variations of Panoptix all-seeing sonar transducers are compatible with GPSMAP 8400/8600 series MFDs, GPSMAP 7400/7600 series, GPSMAP 1002/1202, GPSMAP 702/902 echoMAP CHIRP 90sv series, and echoMAP 70sv/70cv series chartplotter/sonar combos". Any make of units better to look at for forward looking?
  • catchme1catchme1 Posts: 235 Deckhand
    Stay with Garmin they are leading the way
  • kbkeyskbkeys Posts: 691 Officer
    vs-MA21 wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm in the market for a new Fishfinder/Chartplotter and need some advice/ help, please! I fish inshore 99% of the time and would like a 7-9 inch screen at $500 or less for the unit and transducer... I'm keeping mind it's probably going to cost me $200+ or - to have it installed. Any recommendations would be appreciated.*

I did see that West Marine is having a Black Friday sale and are offering two units that look interesting to me:

1.* Lowrance HOOK- 7" DownScan with transducer for $329 but then I would have to buy a chart chip (think the chips are about $200)

2. Garmin echoMAP CHIRP 74CV* 7" with ClearVU transducer and preloaded with BlueChart g2 HD Coastal Cartography (So I wouldn't need a chip)

What are you thoughts on these two units or do you have any other recommendations in the 7-9" under $500 range!?*

Thanks and have a happy Thanksgiving!

Been using a Raymarine Dragonfly Pro 7 and am very happy with it. Chirp sonar, easy to see in bright sun.
  • mlangemlange Posts: 102 Deckhand
    X2 on side imaging. It was a gamechanger for me. covers 10 - 20 times the area as down sonar and allows you to place waypoints on things you have never passed over (spooked)!!!
    Garmin has some very attractive gps/chart options but I'm a "Bird" fan.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,777 Captain
    No sidescan but great price on a 8 inch package that you can interface with other garmin stuff, radar etc.

http://www.imarineusa.com/Garmin010-01181-02.aspx
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 858 Officer
    I can second the Raymarine Dragonfly 7 Pro (and the 5 Pro, for that matter) when it comes to clarity, speed and ease of use. I have one with the Navionics South Regions card in it and love the detail on the chart as well as on the sonar.
  • crackedconchcrackedconch Posts: 381 Deckhand
    austjj wrote: »
    I bought the same one and like it. It's very easy to use. Compare the prices between West Marine and The GPS Store. Especially if one of them has a sale or mail in rebate.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!!

Pioneer 197 Sportfish
    Suzuki DF150
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 672 Officer
    Cabala's on line underpriced my Garmin by $150 over West Marine.
    Alright Guys, I ended up going with the Garmin Echomap 74SV... It came with the SideScan Transducer and pre-loaded with the g2 coastal maps,
    I got it during the West Marine Black Friday week sale for $599.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    Let us know how you like it!
    Congrats!