Helix 5 or Helix 7 Question

Rich MRich M Posts: 1,208 Officer
I'm considering a Helix 5 or 7 and have a few questions that'll help me decide what I go with.

How deep will the side scan see the bottom in salt water? Will it work in 50 ft, 90 ft, 150 ft ????

Also - does the down imaging make much diff in salt water on say a 200 ft deep wreck?

Thanks for any insight.

Replies

• Rich MRich M Posts: 1,208 Officer
    800+ views and no answers.  

That's been the story pretty much - either no-one knows or no-one wants to talk. 

I did buy a new fish finder and it wasn't a HB, so this is the last post for me in this section.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,964 Admiral
    I only have the helix 5 and i don't have the sidescan.    I love the unit, won't leave the dock without it.  Worked fine when i took it out to 150' but never went deeper than that.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • JordanbassJordanbass SeatlePosts: 5 Greenhorn
    Which one of the nine Helix 5 models and which one of the six Helix 7 models??????
  • HooknCooksHooknCooks OrlandoPosts: 83 Greenhorn
    I bought a Helix 5 ... then took it back and got the Helix 7.  The screen looks about twice the size of the 5.

Not sure on your saltwater questions, mainly used mine in freshwater and need to re-set it up for saltwater.
  • Skinny RunningSkinny Running Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    The scanner works great in salt water. Its probably the best one you can get.  I liked it better than Lowrance anyway. But the mapping sucks which was more important for me. I got rid of my Hbird just because of that.  If you run salt water you are stuck with Navionics which pretty much sucks for inshore.