Home General Fishing

changing guides on a factory rod?

wanting to experiment with microWave guides....would it be stuipd to have a set put on one of my stellar lite rods (keeping the same grip and everything) as opposed to building/buying a new rod with them already installed?

The cheapest rod i've found is a lew's rod that i'm not a big fan of...but it has the guides and is $99.99. There's another, cheaper, lew's with split winn grips that has the cheaper version of the guides on it...and it's like $70.

If i have a spare stellar just sitting around...and considering the guides are $30 themselves...would it make sense to have a set put on it instead?

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,972 Captain
    Experiment away... but I wouldn't have them on any rod that I build (and I've been building rods since 1971...). Along the way I've seen all kinds of trick gear come along then disappear without a trace... If you build a rod with those guides, how sure are you that they'll still be available when you break a guide and need a replacement? Lastly folks in the fishing tackle business are pretty good at selling stuff -I've seen the claims for those guides and I'm not sold at all about any particular advantage...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 562 Officer
    If the rod is sitting and not seeing any use, strip it and put the guides you want on. That is whats great about building your own stuff. You get to figure out what you like and what you don't like. If you don't like them, strip them, and put something else on. Just be careful not to scratch up the blank when you are removing the guides.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,012 Moderator
    Since I retired 15 years ago, I have been working in a retail tackle store, selling all kinds of tackle including rods with microwave guides,as well as the guides themselves as well as rod blanks, reel seats and grips, etc. I have yet to have one customer come inand ask for a rod with microwave guides. I have one customer that swears by them, but builds his own rods. This customer worked for Doug Hannon, the "inventor" of these guides.

I would not tear down a Stellar Lite rod to replace the guides. If you want a rod with them on it, I'd build or have built a rod with these guides. By the time you cost out the tear down as well as wrapping of the guides, you will find it is close to the cost of a new rod with the guides.

Or just purchase an off the rack rod with the microwave guides. You are in Port Richey, stop in Tarpon Fishing Outfitters 1500 US 19, Holiday and see me. I'm usually there Mon, Tues, and Wed, 9-4 Like I said above we sell the rods, already built with microwave guides, as well as all rod components to build one, or I can recommend a rod builder to make you one.

Generally speaking, the guide placement on a microwave guide rod is critical. AS line comes off a spinning reel, it comes off in a helix. The guide placement for the first guide needs to be exactly where this helix goes flat so the line goes flat and passes thru the remaining guides. Do do this, you must know the reek as well as the line and weight of the lure as they all affect the helix of the line.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,511 Captain
    Go for it if you want. I put Minima guides on a rod last year and it's much more crisp. I have a store bought rod with microwave guides that I like after I redid the handle.
  • BobberBobber Posts: 943 Officer
    Are you talking the Microwave guide system from American Tackle or are you talking the K system from Fuji, big difference from my experience.
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    I have a GLoomis spinning rod with micro guides plus several other GLoomis spinning rods with regular guides. The biggest difference I've seen is a lot fewer wind knots - also the micro guide rod seems to have more backbone/put more pressure on the fish (so much in fact I had to learn to dial down my hook sets because I was putting wide gap worm hooks through fishes skulls).
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
  • GSRswapandslowGSRswapandslow Posts: 120 Deckhand
    Since I retired 15 years ago, I have been working in a retail tackle store, selling all kinds of tackle including rods with microwave guides,as well as the guides themselves as well as rod blanks, reel seats and grips, etc. I have yet to have one customer come inand ask for a rod with microwave guides. I have one customer that swears by them, but builds his own rods. This customer worked for Doug Hannon, the "inventor" of these guides.

I would not tear down a Stellar Lite rod to replace the guides. If you want a rod with them on it, I'd build or have built a rod with these guides. By the time you cost out the tear down as well as wrapping of the guides, you will find it is close to the cost of a new rod with the guides.

Or just purchase an off the rack rod with the microwave guides. You are in Port Richey, stop in Tarpon Fishing Outfitters 1500 US 19, Holiday and see me. I'm usually there Mon, Tues, and Wed, 9-4 Like I said above we sell the rods, already built with microwave guides, as well as all rod components to build one, or I can recommend a rod builder to make you one.

Generally speaking, the guide placement on a microwave guide rod is critical. AS line comes off a spinning reel, it comes off in a helix. The guide placement for the first guide needs to be exactly where this helix goes flat so the line goes flat and passes thru the remaining guides. Do do this, you must know the reek as well as the line and weight of the lure as they all affect the helix of the line.

everytime i'm in port richey i come by and spend money at Tarpon Outfitters....my favorite shop in the area, BY FAR. I actually planned on having the house builder (younger guy that builds lures as well) put me one together, but he told me he's usually busy during the holiday time and i only have 8 days down there this christmas.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,012 Moderator
    everytime i'm in port richey i come by and spend money at Tarpon Outfitters....my favorite shop in the area, BY FAR. I actually planned on having the house builder (younger guy that builds lures as well) put me one together, but he told me he's usually busy during the holiday time and i only have 8 days down there this christmas.
    Making a rod or convertng one is not life or death, something that has to be done immediately, but you could stop in and see Michael, pick out your components and we could ship it. Michael has now obtained his 6 pack and is chartering on a lot of his off days.