Home General Fishing

Question about trolling daisy chains/multiple lure combinations

andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 801 Officer
I have not done much offshore trolling, but am wanting to get into it. From my observations it seems a daisy chain/multiple lure combination would excel in comparison to a single lure.

Is there any downside to this type of rig, and is there any pro to using just a single lure?

Its such a big ocean i figure the more action the better.
we need more internet money

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,016 Moderator
    A Daisy chain made of what - hard headed trolling lures, rubber squid, CD's, rubber birds. Yes, they all add comotion in hte water and act like a teaser. The downside is if your crew is not good at wiring a leader, it put's you further away from the fish to gaff it. You can't wind a daisy chain thru the guides to get it closer
  • tijeretatijereta Posts: 231 Deckhand
    I always run one on a flat line close to the prop wash, but you have to adjust depending on the sea conditions.
    It does not have to be long-difficult to handle. Mine are 4' to 5' long.
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 801 Officer
    A Daisy chain made of what - hard headed trolling lures, rubber squid, CD's, rubber birds. Yes, they all add comotion in hte water and act like a teaser. The downside is if your crew is not good at wiring a leader, it put's you further away from the fish to gaff it. You can't wind a daisy chain thru the guides to get it closer

Yea I guess my question entails why not running any variation of multiple lure combos, not just the multiple squids, or bird in front of chugger, but multiple tuna feathers, cedar plugs, combination of big baits followed by little baits or the reverse etc.

For me leadering a fish would not be an issue especially if it was bringing more fish to the boat side
    we need more internet money
  • DrKDrK Posts: 249 Deckhand
    They work great. That's the pro of it. The more the better. The con is just how much pain in the behind your are willing to deal with.
  • MGDMGD Posts: 1,164 Officer
    start by running the small rattle jets outside the prop wash. They are deadly. I really believe they mimic the action of those small flyers you see darting back and forth.
    Once you get comfortable with your spread (I'd start w 4 lines) then expand to daisy chains etc and increase the number of lines (depending on your boat and crew)
  • farside88farside88 Posts: 495 Deckhand
    I make my own and they work great. I usually run 2 and the rest single lures. Every fish has a preference and I like to cover them.