Having an issue with starter

Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,235 AG
I changed out the starter about 6 months ago and it's been operating great. Past two times i've tried to crank it the bendex gear comes about halfway up and doesn't fully engage the flywheel. I thought it was a battery issue so i threw the charger on it and it still wouldn't fully engage. So i put jumper cables on it and got it to finally turn the motor over, started it and figured i had a bad battery. cleaned all the connections and took the battery to be checked. Battery is fine, connections are good.

I would think a starter would last longer than 6 months. Any thoughts? I really don't want to put it in the shop for $100 an hour.
People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

Replies

• 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,147 Officer
    If your handy with a multi meter you need to check it for a voltage drop. Could be a bad connection somewhere!
    Jason :USA
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,235 AG
    I don't own one, are they expensive? What do you do just hook them up to the connections and test the starter to get a reading?

The plan for this weekend was to run new cables, and have new connectors and heat shrink protectors put on as well. They're 18 yrs old so no harm in replacing.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • squidvicioussquidvicious Posts: 529 Officer
    I don't own one, are they expensive? What do you do just hook them up to the connections and test the starter to get a reading?

The plan for this weekend was to run new cables, and have new connectors and heat shrink protectors put on as well. They're 18 yrs old so no harm in replacing.

this is why a real shop,a qualified shop,with skilled individuals charge what they charge ....

there's a giant difference between "throwing parts" at a problem and "diagnosing and repairing" a problem....
    can we please stop using the word ISSUE ? it's a PROBLEM
    :wink
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 1,622 Captain
    It starting with jumper cables point to your problem. I have had ground problems with cables that looked new. Cut terminal off and found corrosion between terminal and cable.
    this is why a real shop,a qualified shop,with skilled individuals charge what they charge ....

there's a giant difference between "throwing parts" at a problem and "diagnosing and repairing" a problem....

You may be right. But at $100 an hour, i can replace those parts, which are 18 years old and need to be replaced anyway for about $30. If it doesn't fix the problem, i can still take it to the repair shop, but i've eliminated one possible problem.

I know enough to know the shop is going to recommend replacing them anyway, as do you Squid. So why not knock it out and if that's the issue great, problem solved.
    Gary S wrote: »
    It starting with jumper cables point to your problem. I have had ground problems with cables that looked new. Cut terminal off and found corrosion between terminal and cable.

Well i'm going to replace the cables, terminals this weekend. And throw a little lubricant on the bendix shaft. I'm not spraying WD40, i'll just hit it with a little lithium grease. very little.
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,147 Officer

Being you are not familiar with diagnosing electrical issues i would tell you replace the cables and insure you have good clean cooections!
    Jason :USA
    1outlaw wrote: »
    Being you are not familiar with diagnosing electrical issues i would tell you replace the cables and insure you have good clean cooections!

Seems like the most cost effective method. I don't think that running new wires and connections is a bad thing.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,298 Officer
    Seems like the most cost effective method. I don't think that running new wires and connections is a bad thing.

If the wiring is 18 years old and is NOT Marine Wire (Tinned copper wire) its time to rewire in any case. Rewire with marine wire.
    Giimoozaabi
    Heading to the shop today to get my wire, connectors, and heat shrink coatings. It will all be marine grade wiring now.

Was just looking at wire ga. Factory was #6, and i was thinking of going with #4 as well, just to beef up the connections. I only need about 5' probably less for each run. So shouldn't be much more expensive
    Changed the cables tonight while swatting mosquitos in the dark. Hit the bendix shaft w some spray lub and presto! Shes working again. Problem solved for $47

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,380 Officer
    Every couple of months lubricate the shaft. You can check it by pushing the bendix gear up and see how easy it goes. Good job with the cables.
    Will do thanks. I'll make it part of my servicing schedule.