Lump Charcoal Problem

Maybe i should take it back but too much of a PITA with trying to explain the problem for $7

Needed some lump charcoal, picked up some Publix stuff because I was there. The charcoal seemed very good, lots of good pieces etc. First try with it on my small kamado, the Butt had some strange taste from the smoke but not too bad. Last night I tried it with some salmon cooked very slow, it was awful, had a taste from the smoke or charcoal that tasted like burning creosote or oil, very very pungent and the smell from the cooker totally different like heavy, trash fire and literally smelled up my clothes.

Has anyone had these charcoal issues?

Replies

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,031 AG
    I do not use lump. Usual burns to hot and to fast for a smoker. I would try it more in a standard grill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • lakemanlakeman Posts: 711 Officer
    Funny the Kamado instructions say use lump. I have been using regular stuff because it was on sale at lowes last summer. You are right the publix stuff burned FAST and hotter. Maybe another brand of lump, but have not had good success with finding a GOOD brand, even tried BGE($$$$$) and it was mostly small pieces.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,031 AG
    Stay away from Cowboy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,455 Officer
    Flash wrote: »
    Stay away from Cowboy

What would you recommend? I have a big green egg use lump. My wife complained last time about the same thing and I didn't think much about it. I used the kind in the red bag sold at lowes etc. Can't remember the name.
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
  • lakemanlakeman Posts: 711 Officer
    I did contact Publics and they forwarded the info to the provider of the Lump. I received an email from them saying that they only use the best quality of material and would be happy to give me a coupon or what every to try it again. Right, lots of other brands on the market LOL. some are probably made by the same company. They did not even want samples of the lump. Anyway I declined the offer in light of a million dollars law suit for ruining my $10 salmon LOL.
    Back to the issue, I have used the briquettes since Lowes had a deal on them two years in a row, they work fine for most, even long burns. Still the Kamado grill people say to use Lump so, I guess I will try another brand.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,528 Admiral
    I wouldn't. Use what's working. If you're catching fish with a soft plastic but the guide says use plugs.....stay with what's working for you.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.