Home General Paddle Craft

Thinking about getting a yak

13»

Replies

• SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,339 Admiral
    Cyclist wrote: »
    https://www.wenonah.com/Canoe-Design.aspx

Check out this page. It discusses initial stability, final stability and hull design. It is for canoes but the design plays out in kayaks as well. Krash talked about it in his post. Basically rounder the bottom the initial stability feels tippy and rocks but is actually more stable the farther you lean and in waves. Flat bottom has high initial stability which means it feels stable, but in waves and leaning it is actually much more tippy. The trick with a rounder bottom and less initial stability is to have confidence in the hull and to move your body with the boat and waves. Test rides are great, but also knowing the difference between a boat that may FEEL tippy versus a boat that IS tippy.

This site talks about these principles in kayak hulls.
    http://www.austinkayak.com/blog/2012/08/a-look-at-kayak-hull-designs/

Way too much info for any sane person (non engineer) to digest.
    https://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/guillemot/information/kayak_design/kayak_stability

Thanks for the links. Some of it is good information.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• krashkrash Posts: 682 Officer
    Spineyman wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a website to buy good quality used accessories, such as paddles, stakeout poles etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For that one, IDK, its usually a matter of doing some serious google searches, craigs-list, and track down as many paddle sites as possible check their classifieds, and word of mouth... make "want to buy" "WTB" post.
    Most sites have rules about recommending other sites, as its hard enough to get traffic much less keep it but some people will respond with I saw one if you ask. Many people may send PM's with links to other sites.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • GoonfanaticGoonfanatic Posts: 109 Deckhand
    I own 2 older model native ultimates, 14.5 and 16. I use them both as solo yaks and only fish skinny waters. Their tunnel hull design makes them super stable and they track really well. You can usually find them in the $500-$1,000 range on craigslist. I'm surprised I am the first to recommend them on your thread. They are sit-in kayaks, but the fact that you fish similar waters as myself led me to ad my 2 cents. You can get super skinny with them and the seats also make them some of the most comfortable kayaks on the market. I'd definitely recommend to demo one before you make your decision.
    Goon, I tried the Native Slayer propel and you couln't give me that boat for free. Nothing personal but I did not at all feel comfortable in it. I also have a length problem where I am going to have to store it. 13 feet is really pushing it.

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• GoonfanaticGoonfanatic Posts: 109 Deckhand
    Well, the ultimate is a sit-in, not sit on top, and the tunnel hull on the ultimate is what makes it so stable. I did see that you weren't planning to stand up much in it to fish, just to stretch. I don't take anything personal, so no need to worry about that. I just figured I'd throw another viable option out there since the ultimate hadn't been brought up in your thread. They do make them in 12ft as well. And though they are hard to find, they do make a propel version of the ultimate as well. As you're already doing, take your time and demo as much as possible till you find the right one for you.
    I am just about ready to pounce. The wade fishing I have been doing has shut down. So now my pursuit is in overtime mode!

Well, I have officially become a member of the kayak fishermen. I got my kayak last evening and hope to get it out this afternoon for the maiden voyage. I bought the one that I thought fit me best. I go the Old Town Predator PDL. That is the one I felt most comfortable in of all the ones did a test run in. I am really looking forward to spending time on the water in my Cadillac kayak. Thanks to all who gave me some information so I could make an educated decision, rather than just blindly buying one. Cheers!

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    Welcome to the world of Kayaks! Now go out there and get some fresh fish slime on her!
    :beer
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
    jcanracer wrote: »
    Welcome to the world of Kayaks! Now go out there and get some fresh fish slime on her!
    :beer

Gonna give it my best shot hopefully this afternoon. Thank you for all of your help too.

• BasstarBasstar Posts: 519 Officer
  • j102j102 Posts: 52 Deckhand
    Where are the pictures? We want to see pictures. :)
    Congrats!
    j102 wrote: »
    Where are the pictures? We want to see pictures. :)
    Congrats!

I have them on my phone. I will post a couple tomorrow. I am beat down like a dog. I covered about 7 miles of water today.

I have them on my phone. I will post a couple tomorrow. I am beat down like a dog. I covered about 7 miles of water today.

fad65485b9c9df4568b7717e3da30ec6.jpg724bfcd69a969a935a449b83431c3400.jpgb320bbe9b5ed26a2e0e9192da02a106e.jpg It wasn't great, but it was a blast. Caught the trout on the second cast. I will add, standing up is no problem at all in this kayak.
    I will also say I saw a ton of Reds in real shallow water but they would not hit anything I threw at them. They were at the mouth of a shallow water cut that was loaded up with mullet and the reds were just laying there on the bottom. The boat traffic coming in and out gave them lockjaw I am thinking

• BasstarBasstar Posts: 519 Officer
    Very nice way to break in your new baby
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,952 Captain
    Congrats on your new Kayak !
    Thanks guys, so far I am extremely impressed, and I do believe I made the right decision the first time. Now it is time to wear out the fish with it.

Well Ladies and Gentlemen, although we had a little snow this morning up here in N.W. Florida I am going to give the yak another day of fishing. We shall see what the day holds today!

Well Ladies and Gentlemen, although we had a little snow this morning up here in N.W. Florida I am going to give the yak another day of fishing. We shall see what the day holds today!

UPDATE!

We caught about 20 to 30 trout and 5 reds. Nothing of any size but still wet a line and pulled a little bit. The trout averaged 15" to 18" and the reds were about 15". It is quite a bit different fishing when you are bundled up like a Eskimo I must say though. Had a lot more hits but missed the fish due to slow reaction from too much clothes.

• Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,496 Officer
    You're a lot tougher than I am and a lot younger. Congratulations on the great catch. I only use my kayak when I can't use a boat.
    You're a lot tougher than I am and a lot younger. Congratulations on the great catch. I only use my kayak when I can't use a boat.

I am thoroughly enjoying not having the maintenance a boat requires. I needed to get off of my duff and get some exercise as well. I am also in my early 60's so not that young. Having an absolute blast though. I also found some super thin gloves at Orvis that worked incredible. Worth every penny .