Home General Hunting

Hunting Clubs in FL, Specifically Central FL?

KeithLBPIKeithLBPI Posts: 69 Deckhand
Looking for any hunting clubs in FL, specifically the Central FL area. I've seen a few, all with pretty expensive join rates.

Replies

• drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,765 Captain
  • farside88farside88 Posts: 495 Deckhand
    If you find a club and the property is owned by the Mormons (yes the religion) than just stay away. Its not worth the money or the pain of dealing with them.
  • Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,359 Officer
    farside88 wrote: »
    If you find a club and the property is owned by the Mormons (yes the religion) than just stay away. Its not worth the money or the pain of dealing with them.

I have heard this same info from others, is it simply tight restrictions that is an issue or are there any other reasons? Just curious.
  • cfthcfth Posts: 428 Deckhand
    It all depends on what you are looking for and how much you are looking to spend.

The bucks that are getting harvested at the Mormons are getting considerably better. But prices range from 5k to 15k.

But they are almost only game in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Capt. Grayson Padrick
    www.centralfloridatrophyhunts.com
    Alligator Hunts, Alligator Hunting Equipment, Alligator and Wild Game Processing
    cfth wrote: »
    It all depends on what you are looking for and how much you are looking to spend.

The bucks that are getting harvested at the Mormons are getting considerably better. But prices range from 5k to 15k.

But they are almost only game in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The bucks are getting better, but they are also getting fewer and further between. It use to be nothing for a good hunter to kill 3 bucks a season, decent florida bucks too. Now, you are lucky to kill one. This is true for many of their leases. Once you start killing really good bucks, they will tell you to leave and lease it out to someone willing to pay more, even if you've leased it for 20years. They took a good chunk of our lease after we had already paid for it one year. No refund, just had us start paying more for less. That same year they cut a bunch of the timber out, took another big chunk out, and upped the rules randomly. That was our last year. Price is higher now.

The mormons are ignorant ********, plain and simple. They dont care about you hunting, they are buying this land to eventually develop into another Mormon sanctuary like they have in Utah. Hunters are just a income to them that they dont care about. Opening day of turkey season I had people driving tractors into the fields. Not to work, just to station them there so they could start work on Monday. This is very typical of them. They dont take good care of their pastures, their fences are horrible, their cattle are terrible, the rules range from moronic to outlandish, and they have absolutely no problem screwing you over at any time. Someone comes along and offers them more money for your lease? See ya. Doesn't matter if you've already paid for the year or not. We had someone get shot while hunting (not killed thank God) and they couldn't care less about him. Someone who had been a member on a lease for 20+ years. Only concern was a lawsuit.
    They are the only game in Central Florida really. They own 2% of the state (and just bought some more). I will never be associate with them again even if that means never hunting again.
  • FFCreechFFCreech Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    I'd like some central Florida lease info too
  • SharpeboatSharpeboat Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    We are on one of the leases in central Florida. You get what you pay for. We have seen 15 bucks in one hunt and have a great group of people. Yes they have strict criteria, but it’s for a reason.
  • TheDude727TheDude727 Posts: 100 Greenhorn
    Sharpeboat wrote: »
    We are on one of the leases in central Florida. You get what you pay for. We have seen 15 bucks in one hunt and have a great group of people. Yes they have strict criteria, but it’s for a reason.

Sharpeboat could you tell how you found this lease? Any contact info or link would be appreciated.
  • DayzGonByeDayzGonBye Posts: 82 Greenhorn
    farside88 wrote: »

The mormons are ignorant ********, plain and simple.

Hmm... Seems like they are pretty smart and are simply exercising their right as private landowners who practice free trade. I guess you would prefer state sanctioned religion and communism over liberty and capitalism.
  • DayzGonByeDayzGonBye Posts: 82 Greenhorn
    Sharpeboat wrote: »

Makes sense to me. Plenty of land public land to hunt in Central Florida if you're into crowds and very few deer. If you want to see lots of deer with little crowds you're going to have to pay for it. That's life people. You can have it good, cheap, and easy but you can only have two. If it's good and easy it ain't gonna be cheap, if its cheap and good it won't be for long, and if it's cheap and easy it will be an "s" show.
  • hobbscw79hobbscw79 Posts: 37 Deckhand
    Between my Dad and now myself, we've been members on a Deseret (Mormon) lease for over 30 years. While they do have strict harvest criteria, their reasoning behind that criteria is sound and the results are speaking for themselves. The bucks that are coming off of the Deseret leases this year have been significantly larger and have scored better than in years past.

Couple that with the fact that you can get to your camp in 45 minutes from Orlando or Brevard County (versus a 4 to 8 hour drive to N. Florida or Georgia), plus the fact that you don't have to worry about 300 hunters in your area, stealing your stands and cameras and busting your hunts, and the money is WELL worth it. We scrape and save to pay for it every year and I've never had an ounce of buyer's remorse.

The Mormon's run their land the way they want to, and as long as you accept that fact and play by their rules, you'll enjoy decades of prime hunting.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,031 AG
    Every 6hr drive up and 6hr drive back I question my lease. But when i'm home, and i've got a trip coming up I cannot wait to get the hell out of FL to go hunt. Saturday the highs here will be 80. Where I'm hunting it will be 60, 40 in the morning. Much better IMO. I tried hunting FL and it's either super expensive, or it's over run with hunters. we sat in Jumper Creek one morning during general gun season.... hunter rattling 50 feet away. hunter spraying buck bomb 50 feet in the other direction. Hunter walking by at 700 10 feet from us. hunter grunt calling 75 feet away from us. It was a complete and total waste of time.
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,340 AG
    Every 6hr drive up and 6hr drive back I question my lease. But when i'm home, and i've got a trip coming up I cannot wait to get the hell out of FL to go hunt. Saturday the highs here will be 80. Where I'm hunting it will be 60, 40 in the morning. Much better IMO. I tried hunting FL and it's either super expensive, or it's over run with hunters. we sat in Jumper Creek one morning during general gun season.... hunter rattling 50 feet away. hunter spraying buck bomb 50 feet in the other direction. Hunter walking by at 700 10 feet from us. hunter grunt calling 75 feet away from us. It was a complete and total waste of time.

Just don't be one of the 99% who can't seem to walk more than 1/4 mile from their truck. There is plenty of public land and plenty of huge tracks that hardly ever see a person. It is true, most all hunters don't know how to use their legs very well for very long. And god forbid if you can't drive your atv to the base of your tree...How many times have you gotten a dirty look from some bro sitting in a tree, on the trail, 1000 yards from the parking as you walk in? Don't be that guy.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,031 AG
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Just don't be one of the 99% who can't seem to walk more than 1/4 mile from their truck. There is plenty of public land and plenty of huge tracks that hardly ever see a person. It is true, most all hunters don't know how to use their legs very well for very long. And god forbid if you can't drive your atv to the base of your tree...How many times have you gotten a dirty look from some bro sitting in a tree, on the trail, 1000 yards from the parking as you walk in? Don't be that guy.

I'm fairly happy where I am. And the cost is close enough to negate the drive. I just wish i had more time to go up and hunt. Once my son graduates from HS I will. he'll either go to college and i'll hunt alone. Or he'll stay home and go to community college and we'll hunt together more often.
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    It simply boils down to what you can afford and what makes you happy. If you live in Central Florida, make a good wage, and appreciate time at home versus time on the road, then a Deseret lease may be your cup of tea. Just keep in mind that the Mormon land is a working cattle ranch and they make the rules, and as you've read, they make a lot of rules. And being a cattle ranch, there are also a lot of gates to open and close, so having a family member or guest to open gates is a big bonus. I hunted on Deseret property as a kid and the memories we made are priceless.
    Of course, a lot of the rules that now exist were created by our generations mischief and rambunctiousness~

Good luck in your search.
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,253 AG
    Deer cannot be killed on public land by lazy hunters.......

But they do get killed....every year.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • SWilsonSWilson Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    The only tough rules are the buck criteria but if everyone was shooting 2.5 year old 6 pts, there wouldn’t be any big deer coming off Deseret. It’s part of their management program and it is working. As far as the other rules; we’re not effected by any. The guys we have dealt with on the wildlife side and the unit Foreman / Cowboys have been very professional, very helpful and good to deal with.

Yes, it’s an active cattle ranch but if you have a good lease holder, he’ll keep you informed of the ranches activities and so far, no ranch activities have effected any our hunting.

If you’re seriously considering a lease there, I would meet up with a lease holder, take a tour, talk to the other guys on the lease and make your decision.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    It is amazing how folks expect landowners to care about lease members. LOL!

To the OP - folks will fight over leasing 20 acres in central FL and then put 10 stands up on it.

You can probably get on a lease in Volusia or Flager counties for less than $2K
  • nbennettksunbennettksu Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I was at big cypress and followed a trail in about half a mile. Saw some doe's. Driving out, I saw people 200 feet in off Turner River, ha
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,086 Captain
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Deer cannot be killed on public land by lazy hunters.......

But they do get killed....every year.

Lots of game killed by lazy hunters....who are smart.
    DayzGonBye wrote: »
    Hmm... Seems like they are pretty smart and are simply exercising their right as private landowners who practice free trade. I guess you would prefer state sanctioned religion and communism over liberty and capitalism.

If you think they are smart than you know nothing about their operation. They literally just throw money out the door. Any smart person could take that same operation and double it in a year.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,879 AG
    They must not be too dumb. Don't they own more land in FL than any other family/ Corp or whatever they are?
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    micci_man wrote: »
    They must not be too dumb. Don't they own more land in FL than any other family/ Corp or whatever they are?

Not hard to buy land when you're a tax exempt church funded by tons of fanatic followers.