Etiquette

The definition: Customary code of polite behavior in the society or among members of a particular profession or group. Now I was born and raised hear on the West cost and I have witnessed first had not only in shore but off shore as well the lack of etiquette among our fishing society. I have always believed that the professionals of our group should set a example for there clients. So my question to the professionals is how close is to close to motor up to you or by trolling motor if you are staked out. I have read the regional reports by this Captain who claims Etiquette is a must but came with in 40' of a point I was fishing running a trolling motor. Then I asked why he would do something like this and the response I received was a laugh and you have yours trolling motor in the water to ( I was there for a hour). I would have been ok with a hey man I am sorry. So please let me know the answer to this trick question.

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,700 AG
    The ones who are taking out clients for a living aren't going to give you the kind of etiquette you want. They have paying customers and they'll bump your boat out of the way to get their guy on fish with no remorse. As for everyone else, I mean if you watch a school of tarpon working the shoreline, there will be 5-6 boats on it, and there is always one idiot who motors right up and spooks the fish.

Etiquette on the water does not really exist anymore professional or otherswise. Best advice i can give is try to maintain your composure and hope for the good days. And try to fish during the week if you can. I cannot. So I get lumped in with the weekend googans who will throw anything in the cooler they think they can eat.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • fishNswimfishNswim Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    Etiquette on the water does not really exist anymore professional or otherswise.

This.

Let's not even start on the legions of d-bags on the Tampa Bay south shore who have no idea that a no wake/slow speed zone exists from the 6' line all the way into the mangroves. They would rather run fish over while going 40+ mph in 18" of water en route to throwing "more chummers bro!!" at everything that moves. Lame.
    ~In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty~
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,700 AG
    fishNswim wrote: »
    This.

Let's not even start on the legions of d-bags on the Tampa Bay south shore who have no idea that a no wake/slow speed exists from the 6' line all the way into the mangroves. They would rather run fish over while going 40+ mph in 18" of water en route to throwing "more chummers bro!!" at everything that moves. Lame.

LOL! Can I get a shirt made with a couple of guys with white costas in a pathfinder yelling that as they blaze through the flats?
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,191 AG
    white costas = ******bag..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • C-HAWKC-HAWK Posts: 54 Greenhorn
    Etiquette in the bay has been gone for years. I don't fish many of the areas I used to because of it. I push pole so I basically look for a flat with no boats to fish. I'm done racing to the "spot". Seeing a group of 10boats in a 200 yard stretch throwing chummers cracks me up. Guess those Canadians enjoy it though.
  • Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,271 Officer
    Fish is spot on. The SS is horrible these days, especially on the weekends. Ninety percent of people disregard the slow speed zones and haul butt all over the flats and inside LCRB. I have contacted FWC countless times to increase the patrolling in this area to no avail. It is difficult to maintain your composure in that environment. Working a shoreline once and one **** motored right in front of me next to the mangroves I was working. Total googan. If a person is working a mangrove or shoreline with their tm, I find another area. I don't just jump ahead of them by 50 yards like some have done to me. There is no etiquette anymore. Too many people on the water, too much pressure on the fish, too many people keeping every fish they catch, too many people disregarding rules and regulations. These concern me more than some jagoff who can't comprehend a no wake zone or doesn't give me a wide berth while fishing.
    Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release
  • jbdba01jbdba01 Posts: 144 Deckhand
    My observations have been that on the Southshore if you can run skinny wideopen many people do...I would say over 50% do. The new microskiff guys seems to be really enjoying the ability to run skinny.

It's really getting bad...tarpon fishing is pretty much a joke now a days.

I'm starting to think night fishing will be the way to go.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 617 Officer
    jbdba01 wrote: »
    My observations have been that on the Southshore if you can run skinny wideopen many people do...I would say over 50% do. The new microskiff guys seems to be really enjoying the ability to run skinny.

It's really getting bad...tarpon fishing is pretty much a joke now a days.

I'm starting to think night fishing will be the way to go.

No no no no no! Night fishing is a terrible idea; it's buggy, dangerous and gives people cancer. No one should ever go fishing at night in Tampa Bay.
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    I was wading an area of log bar one morning in April. I was just working along the bar South slowly. A guide pulls up drops anchor and of course starts launching "chummers". At this point they were probably 50 yards away in the direction I was headed. I always cover a lot of ground. There was bait everywhere and I wasn't doing much with artificial.
    I get probably 35 yards from them and make a huge loop out of their way to go around them. I walked all the way in to ankle deep water to give them room. I come back out on the flat probably 40 yards from them on the other side. At this point they are wading out of the boat, one of the clients "I think" is hooked up to a nice snook, I stop and watch the fight and continue on my way. He starts throwing up his arms at me and says something I couldn't hear. I quietly walked up to see what the problem was, and the guide said "no problem its all good" and the guy is still making pouty face at me and staring me down. I politely told the guide, "well it seems he has a problem, and I went way out of my way to not disturb you guys" The client pops off again and the guide quieted him down.

Now maybe I am wrong here, by continuing on my plan to work south along the bar but never came close to them..It was weird usually when wading and other people are wading everyone is friendly, "Hey hows it going what you catching, etc" I am not blaming the guide of the tower boat, just thought it was interesting a client would pop off like that. Maybe, it wasn't a chartered trip and it was just friends of the captain. What was funny to my was, I went way out of my way to NOT cause them any trouble and someone still had a problem.
    I have contacted FWC countless times to increase the patrolling in this area to no avail.

I have as well, and even got a phone call from one of their Lt.'s (which I appreciated). He told me they are well aware of the issue and will increase enforcement, but it was nothing more than glorified lip service.
  • HookIHookI Posts: 102 Deckhand
    back in my younger days , I used to toss 6oz lead sinkers in & round the boat who would not follow the rules of the fisherman's Etiquette while I had the spot first . As far as wading who would come up on me & cross my line ( I would cut their line ) & lastly I have made a few good fishing buddy's after we had a few nose to nose choice words & I pushed them in the shallows for the Baptism . Lastly I ALWAYS ask as the guys coming in late to a spot " HOW COMFORTABLE would you feel on the distance I can fish along side of you " almost 100% of the time most would say fish along side together brother. Some would say 100 yrds . But I ask first
  • lbudlbud Posts: 1,014 Officer
    How's this?
    Live while You're breathing! It's Your only chance.....:grin
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 806 Officer
    Welcome to today's world. Me first!
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »

Quoted for truth.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
    No no no no no! Night fishing is a terrible idea; it's buggy, dangerous and gives people cancer. No one should ever go fishing at night in Tampa Bay.

LOL...you're right. Bad idea...
    At the end of the day...Tampa is slowly becoming Miami. Nothing can be done...
  • QuahogQuahog Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    Learning to target different species helps get away from the crowd, I rarely encounter people at my flounder or sheepshead spots. Also, fishing docks vs mangroves keeps you away from the crowds most of the time. For example, Weedon island shoreline is packed but right across the channel the docks are almost always empty with plenty of quality fish to be caught.
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 3,401 Captain
    :fishing We fish 100+ miles off shore. The way we too keep "away from the crowds."
  • LimeyLimey Posts: 483 Deckhand
    What about the etiquette at the boat ramps? The last time i was at Simmons I had my trailer backed down ready to load and a guy parks his boat on the dock, I had to work to get the boat loaded last thing I did was kick the motor up and flood his boat.
    Carolina Skiff 238 DLV. 140 Suk
  • bugsybugsy Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    I under stand that this is a business for theses guys, I know a few of them and fished against most of them in tournaments or corporate events. I was hoping to get a rise out of the professional on this matter, As they will preach distance and separation but will not practice what they speak. I wish I had the time to fish the during the week like use to in the 90's. PS; The night is wright, Always did well at night. Thanks for the response guys.
  • ericfericf Posts: 458 Deckhand
    Having grown up in south FL and done considerable boating there, and also appreciating what a zoo Tampa Bay can be, I can honestly say we have nothing on Miami. Go down there for a holiday weekend and boat all 3 days. Then write a book, I will buy it!

Tight Lines,
    Eric Fosbender

Team Googanator

2006 Bull Dolphin 22 with 250 Etec
  • m10renm10ren Posts: 109 Deckhand
    Limey wrote: »
    What about the etiquette at the boat ramps? The last time i was at Simmons I had my trailer backed down ready to load and a guy parks his boat on the dock, I had to work to get the boat loaded last thing I did was kick the motor up and flood his boat.

I'm thinking about setting up my GoPro at the Anclote River Park boat ramp at the end of a holiday weekend, with all the drunks coming in it should be good for a lot of laughs. :Glass
    Hit the SS yesterday. Working a mangrove shoreline and see a tower boat roaring down the flat and through a pass. Came right to the shoreline I was working and set up with his clients about 75 yards away from me on the line I was working. Also, was working a pass late in the day and a big boat had come in on plane. It was no guide. They worked inside a long time, maybe too long. I heard the guy say let's go home to his wife. He churned it up on plane on the way out and headed north up the flat. His motor stopped just a few secs later. He had hit very skinny water and couldn't stay on plane. I came around the corner and saw him circling and trying to find a way out. I had a good laugh as I looked back at him still stuck on the flat while I headed for the ramp.
    I bet I have fished the SS as much or more than anyone on here. Those on plane in the slow zone on the SS is way more than 50%....more like 90%.
    Gotta love karma, but have to wonder how much seagrass and bottom he tore up in the process....

Guides are a big part of the problem - the general boating public sees them blasting through no wake zones and they think it's acceptable behavior.
    I am sure he tore up at least 150 yards of sea grass. It was skinny. I had to troll way out before I turned on the big motor.
    In some parts of the flat it is deeper near shore than farther out. It wasn't even low tide yet so he may have been there well past dark. To be a fly on that boat. I am sure his wife tore him a new one.

I know guides are grand-fathered into getting a pass on the slow zones, but is that for new guides also who might not have the experience other older guides have? What irks me is guides who don't have clients on board, but still buzz the flats. Not sure if the FWC has a local station in or near Ruskin, but they need one. Until the SS is patrolled regularly, this problem will persist and nothing will ever change. We need more people to contact the FWC and complain about the situation.
    Although I've heard rumblings that guides don't have to obey the slow zones, I have no idea how it works or who can/can't do it.

Regardless, that's a BS policy. We are all equal users of a shared public resource, the rules should apply to all.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,191 AG
    Although I've heard rumblings that guides don't have to obey the slow zones, I have no idea how it works or who can/can't do it.

Regardless, that's a BS policy. We are all equal users of a shared public resource, the rules should apply to all.

Some of us commercial fishers have exemptions also..
    time is money.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,343 Officer
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »

:rotflmao
    time is money.

If that argument had any merit, we would be letting taxi/uber/lyft drivers go 100+mph while running red lights when they have a fare.
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 709 Officer
    If that argument had any merit, we would be letting taxi/uber/lyft drivers go 100+mph while running red lights when they have a fare.

Exactly!!