taking a blind man fishing on crystal river ?????

my 60 year old cousin who went blind 4 years ago from a major heart attack / stroke is staying at crystal isles rv resort. he has been a life long fisherman from indiana. hasn't fished since his blindness. he does see shadows which helps. he will be there for 2 weeks, maby longer. anyone want to take a blind guy and his wife out fishing on the river ? maby a guide ? if so how much ? ( safety first ) !!! thanks. feel free to pm me with any ideas and i'll run it by him. he's gonna be a little scared at first but after the first fish on he will be in his glory !

Replies

• mjnmjn Posts: 1,565 Captain
    Something I have always wanted to do. If I were a man of greater means I would be giving more to vison related research/charities. Walleye jigging got me started on the idea. I close my eyes alot when jigging for walleye in deeper water trying to picture the bottom contours and of course catch fish. Get him out there and see what he needs/wants and the next trip will be even better. I fish inshore with a family member who had a stroke recently(one side 90% paralyzed), the first time we went out he had issues, we changed a few things around and it was much better the second time.

I would think an nice flat with active trout would be perfect. Cast in any direction, free line and drift, or popping cork and shrimp.

Good luck and most importantly HAVE FUN!
    gammisun.jpgxxSearchEngineFail.jpg
  • paulj.paulj. Posts: 45 Deckhand
    BIG 10/4 on the closing of the eyes when jigging for walleye / saugeye. i do that myself. they do give the lightest tap tap dont they. hopefuly we can get him out once, then he'll be hooked ! no pun intended.
  • Landlocked_Landlocked_ Posts: 590 Officer
    Can he get around ok (physically) i.e. Climb in the boat from the dock, move about the boat as necessary and so on? I understand the visual limitations, just so each of understands what he's capable of. If this were a wheelchair disability, pontoon would be the best. Not the situation here, many possibilities.
  • hasbeenhasbeen Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    Hell yea. That’s awesome. Please post pics from the trip. I would think if he has a good solid seat and a solid rail to hold while under way he will probably be good after a few minutes. Since he has fished and been in boat I would guess his comfort level will settle in pretty quick. Good early warning on wakes. I hope you guys have a blast!
    other than his vision he is good. sharp as a tack, talks a lot, lots of storys, gets around like a typical 60 year old who worked manual labor his whole life. wife would probably help him around on the boat for safety and the fact that he will feel more at ease with her being there for the first time out, but yes, he's had several of his own boats, fished the great lakes. would probably rely on his sense of feel, maby free lining bait would work. casting ??????? not so sure.
  • bite me llbite me ll Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    I am at crystal isles rv with boat. would be happy to take blind man and wife fishing. no charge bait , gas help good but not necessary. lot 52
    i'm on it ! he did say he would pay for bait and gas. i will send him to lot 52 and you can meet him / them. thank you for your offer !!!!!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,887 Moderator
    bite me ll wrote: »
    I am at crystal isles rv with boat. would be happy to take blind man and wife fishing. no charge bait , gas help good but not necessary. lot 52

Awesome offer bite me ll and welcome aboard the forum :USA
    "You'll get your weather"
    paulj, give me this gentlemans lot # and I will contact him this afternoon.
  • Geno67Geno67 Posts: 148 Deckhand
    Way to go bite me II!
    he's 135 a motor home with a scooter mounted on the back, they checked for you yesterday but you were out. he said the dog flies are terrible !!!!
    bite me and/or paulj, please share how the arrangement goes. I typically have Mondays and Wednesdays off, but being the time of the month it is, I will have a meeting sprung on me with very short notice. If Colleen and I can facilitate a trip, we would be glad to.
    will do landlocked, awaiting an update..
    I have connected with john. we are going out sat. my wife is coming along to help. a report on the trip will be coming.
    THAT'S GREAT !!!!! dont be afraid to take him to your secret honey hole spots, he wont be able to tell anyone where they are. LOL. thanks so much for your offer, deeply appreciated. and you also , landlocked. have a good outing. and hopefuly a few pics ! cant wait for the report. dont let him get sunburned.
    well, my wife and I and john the blind fisherman went out sat.

he is just a great guy and we all had a blast. He has had heart problems and a stroke . due to 4 years of recovery he had not fished in that time. He has to learn all new tech and systems. To shorten this, we had non-stop jumping ladies, mangos, and one big drag-pulling cat. by the end john was baiting his own shrimp and everything but unhooking. he was a treat and an inspiration. thanks to my dear wife lucy for all her help.
    GREAT JOB !! yes, he told me it could not have gone better, he said definitely two thumbs up ! glad to hear things went good. sounds like Lucy is quite the fisher, woman. thank you, thank you, thank you !
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,264 Officer
    That is really great to read about. "Nice job" to all involved
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
    Excellent Bite me ii, glad you got John out. "paulj" how long is their stay (dates)? I have a meeting with a photographer in the morning to shoot photos for new menu items for my restaurant, no clue when it will end. So I don't see tomorrow being a very good option. I'm also committed Wednesday of this week for a couple of my staff, the following Monday and Wednesday are an available option as my schedule is currently.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,887 Moderator
    Great this was able to get put together. And the FORUM is still the place for members helping members.. :USA
    "You'll get your weather"
    Excellent Bite me ii, glad you got John out. "paulj" how long is their stay (dates)? I have a meeting with a photographer in the morning to shoot photos for new menu items for my restaurant, no clue when it will end. So I don't see tomorrow being a very good option. I'm also committed Wednesday of this week for a couple of my staff, the following Monday and Wednesday are an available option as my schedule is currently.

PM. sent to you Landlocked.