Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

Tesla issues

Replies

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,466 AG
    edited December 2019 #122
    Gary S said:
    Heard on the radio yesterday that it cost $30,000 to replace battery in a Tesla.
    Really?  What channel were you listening to?  Might it have been an AM talk show, by any chance?  lol

https://interestingengineering.com/tesla-puts-price-on-model-3-battery-module-replacement-around-5000-7000

In a tweet last week Tesla CEO, Elon Musk, indicated the cost of replacing battery modules in the companies Model 3 will cost about $3000 - $7000 USD. Not a bad price considering the current batteries are designed to last 300,000 to 500,000 miles, which is the equivalent of 1,500 cycles.
    That is still horrible.  There was no need for the exaggeration, it's bad enough at 5k to 7k.
    "Designed" to last... lol.  I bet they were. Like the bullet-proof windows were designed to be bullet-proof.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • johnpowersjohnpowers Posts: 2,898 Captain
    Once again, taxes. ie. road use taxes. 
     If anyone here thinks that the local, states and feds are going to let all of those cars off Scott free, I have some beach front property in South Dakota for you.  ;)
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 7,998 Admiral
    LOL.  What a bunch of d*uchebags
    What do you know?  They're like saving the planet and stuff
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • cadmancadman Posts: 43,676 AG
    edited December 2019 #125
    Once again, taxes. ie. road use taxes. 
     If anyone here thinks that the local, states and feds are going to let all of those cars off Scott free, I have some beach front property in South Dakota for you.  ;)
    That will be a big issue if EMV do catch on main stream. Where does the government get the money to maintain roads. Gas taxes do it now, Maybe some fee system based on miles driven or something. But you  are right, they will get their taxes. Could just add a fee to the electric use or collect it from the charging stations. 

Currently a vehicle driving 12,000 miles a year and getting 20 mpg pays about $400 a year in gas taxes. 

Former Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• Gary SGary S Posts: 3,344 Captain
    Gary S said:
    Heard on the radio yesterday that it cost $30,000 to replace battery in a Tesla.
    Really?  What channel were you listening to?  Might it have been an AM talk show, by any chance?  lol

https://interestingengineering.com/tesla-puts-price-on-model-3-battery-module-replacement-around-5000-7000

In a tweet last week Tesla CEO, Elon Musk, indicated the cost of replacing battery modules in the companies Model 3 will cost about $3000 - $7000 USD. Not a bad price considering the current batteries are designed to last 300,000 to 500,000 miles, which is the equivalent of 1,500 cycles.
    Don't remember but it could have been. Also don't remember what model.
     If all models are 3 to7K  that would not be as bad.
  • TarponatorTarponator Posts: 19,981 AG
    Gary S said:

That is still horrible.  There was no need for the exaggeration, it's bad enough at 5k to 7k.
    "Designed" to last... lol.  I bet they were. Like the bullet-proof windows were designed to be bullet-proof.
    Horrible?  

My last Chevy's gasoline engine went belly up after 125k miles and cost about that much to replace.

How many batteries being replaced in Teslas at that mileage?

Practically none.

Horrible indeed -- just not the way you think.
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,801 Captain
    Gary S said:

Horrible?  

My last Chevy's gasoline engine went belly up after 125k miles and cost about that much to replace.

Practically none.

You must have beat the crap out that engine.  My 06 van has 380k.

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

Gary S said:

Horrible?  

Practically none.

It would interesting to know the details. 
    edited December 2019 #130
    Gary S said:

Horrible?  

Practically none.

I bought the truck with 70k miles, and I take care of my vehicles.  I'm guessing the guy before me did the damage.

Moving past the anecdotal, today's gasoline engines last about 200k miles.  At worst, Tesla's batteries are built to last 50% longer.

Which is horrible again?
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Posts: 1,877 Captain
    Gary S said:

Horrible?  

Practically none.

I bought the truck with 70k miles, and I take care of my vehicles.  I'm guessing the guy before me did the damage.

Moving past the anecdotal, today's gasoline engines last about 200k miles.  At worst, Tesla's batteries are built to last 50% longer.

Which is horrible again?
    Only because half the population does not take care of there vehicles. A vehicle that is maintained will go over 500K easily. Especially these days!
    Jason :USA
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 18,971 AG
    Gary S said:

Horrible?  

Practically none.

Easy now, he’s a scientist you know.
    1outlaw said:

Which is horrible again?
    Only because half the population does not take care of there vehicles. A vehicle that is maintained will go over 500K easily. Especially these days!
    Perhaps.

All the more reason to go to brushless three phase electric motors and batteries -- no maintenance required!
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,801 Captain
    I bought the truck with 70k miles, and I take care of my vehicles. 

Sorry.
    Previous owner probaly used a tuner to change all the parameters, beat the crap out it, then put it back to stock before he sold it.  No way you would have known.

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

edited December 2019 #135
    Meh, it happens.  Put the new motor in and she ran fine until I got rid of her around 160k if memory serves.

The new one I bought was with far fewer miles -- like 26k.  She just topped 100k and is doing just fine.  :)

Both were Tahoes.
    1outlaw said:

Which is horrible again?
    Perhaps.

All the more reason to go to brushless three phase electric motors and batteries -- no maintenance required!
    You mean, less maintenance. 
    All machines require maintenance. 
     Corrosion and fatigue are big issues with electric motors and their systems. 
    My truck is a 04 with 170,000 I have had 3 transmissions since 100,000. Now at 170,000 I am starting to get electronic problems. Replaced throttle body last month. Had a issue with a window module this week. Thought I was going to have to replace it, but was able to reset it and for now it is working fine. I would go ahead and replace it but it cost a couple hundred and has to me programed to the truck.
     I am hoping to get 200,000 out of it but not sure thats going to happen. I am not one to baby my vehicles so if it goes before the 200,00 I will just deal with it.
    edited December 2019 #138
    1outlaw said:

Which is horrible again?
    Perhaps.

I do, thanks.

1outlaw said:

Which is horrible again?
    Perhaps.

I do, thanks.

I heard about it but the first I read a it. 
     Two things about the story,
     how do you stay awake?
    And, 5 days? That’s a easy 4 day run. I guess they must have been been doing well under the speed limit for safety reasons?
    edited December 2019 #140
    I'm a night owl by nature, John, and usually go to bed well after midnight, as was the case last night.

As for your 2nd question, it appears to be answered in the article:

Embark’s first coast-to-coast run took the normal five days to complete because the driver was still operating within hours-of-service limits. A truly autonomous Level 4 truck, however, would be able to complete the same trip in just two days by operating around the clock, Rodrigues said. “Obviously that would radically change the dynamics of freight.”

Setting those aside, I just read the article a bit earlier last night and wondered what you would think about it, recalling you were quite cynical with regards to this technology in past posts.

Thanks for your response...Mike
    My fault I should have been more specific. 
     I’m sure the hours of service were followed by the driver/ team.  What I was thinking of was the absolute boredom of just sitting there monitoring the thing. 
     I’m sure going through Ontario Ca, Phoenix, San Antonio and especially Houston was a mind blowing experience. And probably required a stiff cocktail at the end of the day. 
    How's that  autonomous truck going to fill it self up with fuel when the drivers not on board. 
     And I agree with John, I don't know how that driver sat in that seat without falling to sleep.
    Not sure how it is any more boring than running down the interstate with cruise control on. 
    They have fully automated fuel pumps developed. You drive in and the pump finds the tank opens it and fills your vehicle without you moving. It is why new vehicles no longer have gas caps.

Former Mini Mart Magnate

cadman said:
    Not sure how it is any more boring than running down the interstate with cruise control on. 
    They have fully automated fuel pumps developed. You drive in and the pump finds the tank opens it and fills your vehicle without you moving. It is why new vehicles no longer have gas caps.
    Trust me, even with the cruise set and going down the interstate it is not boring. Especially in traffic. A good driver is constantly checking the mirrors, watching out in front and as far as one can see down the road and anticipating what crazy maneuver the texting soccer mom in the mini van is going to do next. And remember, that big truck is not allowed in that far left lane so you have that to consider also. 
     You living in Hogtown should know just what a circus I75 is. ;)
    cadman said:
    Trust me, even with the cruise set and going down the interstate it is not boring. Especially in traffic. A good driver is constantly checking the mirrors, watching out in front and as far as one can see down the road and anticipating what crazy maneuver the texting soccer mom in the mini van is going to do next. And remember, that big truck is not allowed in that far left lane so you have that to consider also. 
    cadman said:
    For some reason a pop up comes up saying something about vanilla site?? And apparently my post went three times??
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 18,971 AG
    For some reason a pop up comes up saying something about vanilla site?? And apparently my post went three times??
      I’ve changed my mind. Vanilla farts.
    cadman said:
    I am sure the guy driving the self driving truck was doing the same thing to be sure the automatic system did not mess up, as I understand it was the first such run. 

Former Mini Mart Magnate

cadman said:
    cadman said:
    I am sure the guy driving the self driving truck was doing the same thing to be sure the automatic system did not mess up, as I understand it was the first such run. 
    I’m sure that guy was all white knuckles and blood pressure thru the stratosphere, especially when that 25 mph exit ramp was coming up or when all 4 lanes on the 610 loop around Houston suddenly turned into a parking lot! :#
  • bicyclistbicyclist Posts: 1,654 Captain
    Gary S said:
    My truck is a 04 with 170,000 I have had 3 transmissions since 100,000. Now at 170,000 I am starting to get electronic problems. Replaced throttle body last month. Had a issue with a window module this week. Thought I was going to have to replace it, but was able to reset it and for now it is working fine. I would go ahead and replace it but it cost a couple hundred and has to me programed to the truck.
     I am hoping to get 200,000 out of it but not sure thats going to happen. I am not one to baby my vehicles so if it goes before the 200,00 I will just deal with it.
    All 3 of our cars have 200,000 or more (92 cummins with 300,000ish).

Probably spend on average 800 - 1000$ a year on maintenance and repairs.  Last year was bad, about 3,000$. All 90s models.