Crystal River 10-27-2017

Looking at the weather decided on taking the kids out after work on Friday. Gotta love how accurate those weather forecasts are. Didn't get out on the water till around 0930 which wasn't too bad considering we had four kids to round up and get ready. Stopped by Twin Rivers Marina but they had no live bait so we picked up some dead shrimp. Headed out to the spoil banks and the wind was more like 10-15 then the predicted 8, I guess I should just double it. The ride out wasn't too bad and we stayed mostly dry. Fished the North side of the spoil banks and caught 7 reds and a snook. All the reds were under 18 except for one but he was just barley over 18 so we sent him back. The snook was 22 and did do a little aerobatics for us. Headed in around two after the winds and waves picked up. Looking forward to doing some more exploring out there on a day with a little better weather.

Replies

• k-dogk-dog Posts: 152 Deckhand
    I’m still learning the area I live in NC and try to make a few trips down a year. I hear people talk about the spoil banks on here is that the internecine to the power plant just north of shell island?? If so I have never been there but I also have kids that love to catch fish and they don’t care what kind or how big so I’m sure your crew had a blast.
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,517 Captain
    Great to get the kids out and catch some nice fish. :thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 555 Officer
    East coast rule of thumb. If seas are supposed to be 3-5, add the 2 together. Seems to work on this coast also. Winds, you are on your own. :rotflmao
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,681 Moderator
    The kids are troopers ! Looks a little sporty but you made it work. Good job. :USA
    "You'll get your weather"
  • rhymechizelrhymechizel Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    Looks like a fun day
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,210 Officer
    :thumbsup
  • Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,409 Officer
    I love it when kids are involved!!
    They don't learn everything at skool........
    Great job Captain
    Brian
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 491 Deckhand
    Do you know if they had live shrimp earlier in the day (I'm coming down in a couple of weeks).
  • josh...BAMFjosh...BAMF Posts: 118 Deckhand
    They didn't have any at all that morning. The lady at Twin Rivers said that the shrimpers just never showed up that day. We were there the week before and had plenty of nice sized shrimp. I think they just missed that day.
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,210 Officer
    Worst case: get out a little earlier and fish for pinfish and bring frozen squid.