I need an XF20.

I probably won't find one for sale at a reasonable price so I may have to build one.
I'm hoping I can find someone with experience like maybe Steve in Springhill to help me avoid the pitfalls and give a few tips on the stich and glue method. Any ideas?

Replies

• BackyardAnglerBackyardAngler Posts: 356 Deckhand
    I've always wanted to build one of their boats. Looks like an awesome project.
  • Widespread PanicWidespread Panic Posts: 203 Deckhand
    There is a guide at Walton lodge in Yankeetown that runs a xf20. I talked to him about it one day, he said if I ever decide to build one to call him. He would share what he learned during his build.
    There is also Storm Port Boat works in Homosassa, could possibly be worth consulting.
  • GatoRellaGatoRella Posts: 521 Officer
    That looks like an awesome build. What is the estimated project cost?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,701 Captain
    I probably won't find one for sale at a reasonable price so I may have to build one.
    I'm hoping I can find someone with experience like maybe Steve in Springhill to help me avoid the pitfalls and give a few tips on the stich and glue method. Any ideas?

Dang. I'll help you. I know noting about building a boat but I am handy. :) I may have a contact for resin, cloth, etc if you do decide to build the boat. And stop by when you can as I need an update of this week and of this boat you want to buy or build.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 614 Officer
    Thanks for the tips Widespread panic. Knew I could count on Billy to work for beer :grin I'm expecting to pay 4000 to 4500 for the hull matterals.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,921 Captain
    I know there's one of our members that lives in my town and built one, but I can't remember his username. I'll see if I can dig it up.
  • VertigoVertigo Yankeetown, FLPosts: 617 Officer
    I thought about the XF-20 and the Microdraft, but they're both really guide boats and pretty big for only one or two fishermen. Here's one I'm thinking about building this winter. It's 18' overall and should run pretty well on anything from 25 to 60 hp. I don't have building instructions, but I would be willing to share plans and dimensions and a recommended bill of materials.
    Thanks Vertigo, that looks like a great skiff, but I will be guiding out of mine so I need the extra room.
  • majorgatormajorgator Posts: 369 Deckhand
    If you go to the Bateau website and search through the forum, periodically one will pop up for sale. It might be a complete boat or sometimes a partially constructed boat. Send an email to the admins and ask if they know of anyone who wants to sell.

I would persoannly rather build one than buy. The problem with buying is that you don't really know what went into the build. I've seen some really crappy build methods used, and many times, the subsequent failures. If you follow their instructions carefully and use the correct materials, you will more than likely have a good product. Unfortunately, some builders cheap-out and use poor quality marine plywood, cheap resin, screws instead of glue, etc. Sometimes they just get lazy and skip the fillets, don't saturate the glass, etc... The only way to know its done correctly is to do it yourself or go through the forum and verify the build details (if the builder posted it).

I'm happy to share with you any details you'd like to know. I feel that the XF20 is a better product than the older Microdrafts, but I've not paid much attention to the newer composite models. Though I do have to say I don't believe much of the hype that surrounds the Microdraft. When done correctly, the XF20 can float in 4"-5" and run in about the same. You can't ask for much more than that. The point is you can jack up the engine and run shallow for a brief period of time, say to cross a nearly exposed sandbar. It's not an airboat LOL

For a point of reference, I built my boat on a budget and have about $9K invested without motor, trailer, jack plate and hydraulic steering. I used a ton of surplus parts and even installed some used items. Having to do it over again, I would have spent more. But I'm happy with the end product. I've beat the boat to death and caught a zillion fish off of it. It's not as much boat as people might believe it to be. I can fish it by myself quite easily.

And not to downplay anyone else's experience, but I would definitely build from a set of plans from a proven designer. The material list is really ever only a suggestion or close approximation. I know the designer of the bateau boats and the admin staff, and they are some of the finest people to deal with. The expertise they bring to the table and the ability to read and watch other builders do the same is priceless. My journey into the XF20 started by examining and measuring every Microdraft I could find because I was set on building one myself. That led me to stumbling across the bateau website and the rest is history. I've met several other builders of XF20 boats (plus many other boats), including having heart-to-heart phone calls with the co-designer of the boat.

I give the same advice to everyone...
    You should build at least one boat in your lifetime. It's an experience you'll always treasure.
    Thanks for your input Majorgator. That's a lot to think about.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,292 Admiral
    I want to build one. I know bigger is usually better and I thought they had a 16' version but I just checked the site and they don't. I like to go way up the creeks and a 20 might be a little tough for that. I built a flat back canoe from Jem that turned out nice and was a lot of fun to build. Have restored a couple old glass boats and am itching to build a power boat from scratch, maybe someday.

It has been a while since I have visited their site, they have added a lot of new designs.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • BackyardAnglerBackyardAngler Posts: 356 Deckhand
    "I give the same advice to everyone...
    You should build at least one boat in your lifetime. It's an experience you'll always treasure."

You sir are a dangerous man. I've built three kit airplanes and have not had a project since 2010, I'm bored to tears. Know any good divorce lawyers? My wife thinks I've dun grown up. I think I've got the itch to itch again.
  • brianinccbrianincc Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Just happened across this post. I built one in 2004/2005. It was a great boat just not perfect for the way I fish. I built mine light and it would float in an honest 4" loaded and would run in about the same. I wound up selling it and building the fs18 to do double duty fishing and duck hunting. I really miss the boat it did most things well. It handled rough water better than any flat bottom I have ever run.
  • CrabtrapCrabtrap Posts: 210 Deckhand
    I happened across this Craigslist add this morning. Similar to the XF. Just thought I'd pass it along.
    https://ocala.craigslist.org/boa/d/2005-billy-henderson-micro/6390622283.html