Has the water cooled enough to

find the reds and trout in the creeks yet? Last time out two weeks ago the reds where still on outer bars but couldn't find a trout anywhere. Going out tuesday trying to plan the day. Thanks for any hints

Replies

• gatorsaintgatorsaint Posts: 175 Deckhand
    I spent 3 days fishing Suwannee last weekend and the creeks temps were 73-74 degrees. We caught some shorts and 1 slot red in the creeks, but the trout and most slot reds were at the creeks mouths and along the grasslines. This cold front that moved through may have dropped the water temps, but I don't know if it's enough to push them in the creeks.
  • josh...BAMFjosh...BAMF Posts: 119 Deckhand
    Was out at Crystal river and saw 68 degrees out at the spoil banks. It was 70 in the river.
  • redeye76redeye76 Posts: 425 Deckhand
    On Thursday saw 64 degrees just west of Shell Island
  • relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 566 Officer
    Thanks all, that gives me some data to work with. I had a good spot on the last three trips that's a very long, shallow bar. I figured the bar heats up during the day at low tide. Maybe it will still be good, but I was doubting it.
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,747 Captain
    I caught trout in 6” and 6’ of water today. They’re everywhere.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,920 Captain
    Water in CK was in the low 60s this morning.
  • Small BoatsSmall Boats HomosassaPosts: 23 Greenhorn
    find the reds and trout in the creeks yet? Last time out two weeks ago the reds where still on outer bars but couldn't find a trout anywhere. Going out tuesday trying to plan the day. Thanks for any hints

There were Trout and Ladyfish in Mason and Petty Creeks on Monday. Water temperature in the 62-64 range.
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."  - John Buchan
  • flatfishflatfish Posts: 56 Deckhand
    Fishing out of Horseshoe last week we found Reds near shore but found only scattered trout. Did not go to the offshore bar. Fished from the channel North up to Pepperfish in water from 2 to 5 feet deep. Cleaning the trout we did catch, their stomachs were empty. Only one Red and the one Flounder we caught had full stomachs. Red had crabs, shrimp, and one New Penny Gulp. Flounder had a Gulp in it's gut also. I believe it was the first week of cold nights and mornings and water temp drop. Maybe that had something to do with the trout situation. Good luck this coming week.
  • flatfishflatfish Posts: 56 Deckhand
    Looking at scheduling a spring (April or May) trip to Horseshoe Beach. Any suggestions on the better month and whether fishing is better on outgoing or incoming tides?
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 981 Officer
    Early this morning It was 62.7 at the mouth of the Homosassa, and it didn't get up to 68 until I got out to about 10 miles past Marker R-4. So the deeper flats were all pretty cold.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,920 Captain
    flatfish wrote: »
    Looking at scheduling a spring (April or May) trip to Horseshoe Beach. Any suggestions on the better month and whether fishing is better on outgoing or incoming tides?

I think I'd choose April and whichever tide took place in the morning.
  • relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 566 Officer
    We got out on Tuesday and it was a nice day not very windy until after 2pm, sunny and nice. Had the little boat so didn't have the temp. Felt warmer over this bar and it was mid-day when they finally started biting.
    Found two keeper reds on a near bar in 2-3' water. The only thing they went for was cut mullet. They both inhaled the hooks, glad they were both keepers. I checked stomachs on them, very little in there. One had a mean looking greenish/blue worm thing with bristles. I am guessing some type of sand worm, wish i took a picture. Also managed a couple whiting, that was it, didn't find the trout.
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,747 Captain
    Water temp tapped 58 around sandyhook early this week.

Didn't go out yesterday or this morning. Heading out soon.
  • roachbusterroachbuster Posts: 551 Officer
    Will the warm weather this week push them back out of the skinny water or will they generally stay when it starts to cool off