Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

Pecan pie

tankardtankard Posts: 7,030 Admiral
I hate it and always have. I just don't get it.

Exactly what is that grayish crap in the middle?

Plus, I think I figured out why I was always grossed out just looking at it.

It looks like a pot pie made of cockroaches. A cockroach pot pie.

Replies

• DemereDemere Posts: 1,463 Officer
    My wife makes the best pecan pie on earth. Golden brown with flaky crust. Never lasts long at the table. My guess is one of her pecan pies would "convert" you.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG
    Puke. I don't eat a lot of sweets but that stuff is nasty. Every now and then a little chocolate ice cream and I'm good.
  • DemereDemere Posts: 1,463 Officer
    Resinhead wrote: »
    Puke. I don't eat a lot of sweets but that stuff is nasty. Every now and then a little chocolate ice cream and I'm good.
    Heathen!
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    My wife's grandmother, may she always be remembered, used to make pecan pie with molasses and bourbon
    Twas awesome
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,045 Admiral
    GOD! As a true Southerner I love pecan pie but a little goes a long way because it is so sweet and rich
    Deo Vindice
  • mjnmjn Posts: 1,577 Captain
    I hated it all my life. Probably skipped it alot as I didn't like it. The gray stuff in the middle had no taste, it was like tastless jello with the pecans on top doing nothing, maybe adding a little sugar.

Then I had it done right. It was heaven, like a soft health bar and melt in your mouth pecans on top. Balanced perfectly between the salty pecans, smooth tasty(balanced salty and sweet) middle and contrasting crust. So now I try it every time I can and have come to the conclusion it is about 75% awful, 20% good, and 5% that is phenomenal... in my top 5 desserts.

My wife makes it now and when she screws it up, it will loose its consistency, but it still tastes great, so I don't know **** 75% of the world is putting in pecan pie to make it so bland and terrible.
  • micci_manmicci_man Posts: 15,018 AG
    Never seen any grey stuff in one much less any part of one that was tasteless.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 16,646 AG
    I had two nephews get into a fight over the last piece of pecan pie that my wife made.

Everyone loves it but it's too much for me.

Same thing with her key lime pie. Most folk say it's the best they have ever had but I just don't care for the stuff.
    "Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
  • LuckyMrSwLuckyMrSw Posts: 3,208 Captain
    Love it! Ever have a chocolate pecan pie? Wow!
    Please stop derailing my thread.
    `Forum Moderator`

Don't call each other names
    `Same Forum Moderator`
  • cadmancadman Posts: 43,580 AG
    tankard wrote: »

Quit buying cheap frozen store bought pecan pies. The center is corn syrup or cane syrup, eggs, and brown sugar. It should be brown, but the cheap ones use cheap ingredients which could lead to a grayish color. The cheap ones just add enough pecans to barely cover the top since pecans are the expensive ingredient. A good pecan pie will have a balance of the two. I also prefer ones made with cane syrup personally, but a good one with corn syrup is delicious too. Add a little bourbon to the pie for a really great one.

It is the same reason people don't like fruit cakes, they just had cheap crappy store bought ones.

Former Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

Gardawg wrote: »

Same thing with her key lime pie.

I'll take two.

I love a good key lime pie, as well.

Former Mini Mart Magnate

• stc1993stc1993 Posts: 10,588 AG
    If yall are getting grey stuff in a pecan pie I don't know what yall are eating. Pecan pies are brown in the middle like syrup I can eat 1/2 pie by myself with a pint of ice cold milk it is good.
  • TarponatorTarponator Posts: 19,935 AG
    I prefer key lime myself. Never liked pecans.
  • 4WARD4WARD Posts: 2,975 Captain

The ones sold next to the Bic lighters at the chevron are not real pecan pie.
    Stop eating at gas stations.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
    4WARD wrote: »
    The ones sold next to the Bic lighters at the chevron are not real pecan pie.
    Stop eating at gas stations.

The best gas station pie you can buy!

While searching for that image I found this, might have to try a bag

Sad part is it appears to be a Walmart only item.

Former Mini Mart Magnate

• frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    cadman wrote: »
    I also prefer ones made with cane syrup personally, but a good one with corn syrup is delicious too. Add a little bourbon to the pie for a really great one..

try to find one made with molasses, best of all

frank wrote: »
    My wife's grandmother, may she always be remembered, used to make pecan pie with molasses and bourbon
    Twas awesome
    frank wrote: »
    try to find one made with molasses, best of all

I can actually bake a Pecan Pie, may have to try that this holiday season.

Former Mini Mart Magnate

• Mango ManMango Man Posts: 13,570 AG
    Love a good pecan pie. Village Inn makes a great one.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 7,300 Admiral
    If you don't like it, you never had a good one. Amazing! Southern style of course. However I'm not a sweets guy, so it is a thanksgiving Christmas thing twice a year.

I hate pumpkin pie except my mom and granny. It is a cream pumpkin. Sweet and tasty. Never had one outside my family that I could eat.
    How many like sweet potato pie. Now that is a delicious southern style pie. Better than pumpkin.

Former Mini Mart Magnate

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 7,300 Admiral
    How many like sweet potato pie. Now that is a delicious southern style pie. Better than pumpkin.

Never ate one, but always wanted to. Never been to a party with the opportunity. How does it differ from pumpkin? I'm from TN and GA as a child. Full blown southern food. Never once did I see a sweet potato pie. If it tasted anything like sweet potatoes I'll pass, no matter how much sugar. Would like to try it, but like I said, never seen one.
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,045 Admiral

I prefer sweet potato pie to pumpkin
    Deo Vindice
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Posts: 1,893 Captain

The best gas station pie you can buy!

While searching for that image I found this, might have to try a bag

Those are actually not half bad........not great.....but about 100x better than the miniature fruit cakes you can buy.:wink
    Sweet potato pie beats pumpkin pie by a mile. It kind of tastes like sweet potato souffle.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 12,528 AG
    Use to hate it, then I had it almost frozen. Loved it. Now I will eat it any way I can get it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,030 Admiral
    GMAFB. My Grandma was a pretty **** good southern baker, as is my mom.

If I didn't like theirs, WTH makes you think I would have ever purchased one?

Kinda stupid, no?
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 13,168 AG
    love good sweet potato pie and pecan pie.
    but I'm diabetic so i can't do more tan one piece of each..

Story: Old friend of mine's Mom would bake him and I a good pecan pie every Thanksgiving. She passed about 10 years back and at her funeral I spoke and lamented on the loss of the yearly pecan pies..
    Enter the wife of the local NAPA owner (friend and I both have accounts there), she was at the funeral and heard me speak, she decided to pick up the torch (so to speak) and has baked us pies every year since..

Can't beat that with a stick.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    My wife does the same she cooks pecan pies for a lot of people. Last time I picked up the pecans for her at the sheller it was $48 just for the pecans. You figure 1 cup per pie that's a lot of pies. A#1 you know how many pecans trees are in Albany.

They are getting higher since the Chinese have started buying them. My sister in law inherited a 50 acre grove that her uncle farms & everyone they get goes to China.
    GMAFB. My Grandma was a pretty **** good southern baker, as is my mom.

If I didn't like theirs, WTH makes you think I would have ever purchased one?

Kinda stupid, no?

I hate to tell you but, if the pie was grey in the center, neither one knew how to cook.

Former Mini Mart Magnate