Home General Fishing

Attention Experienced Cast Netters

ClassicAQClassicAQ Posts: 16 Deckhand
My father is no longer able to throw his 10 footer so he kindly gave it to me. I'm 99% certain it's a Lee Fisher Bait Buster for 2 reasons: it has the dragon swivel which I believe Fisher developed and exclusively uses, and he remembers buying it from a marine store that only carries Fisher nets. It's green, 10', 3/8" square mesh, round lead.

Here's the issue though....the net is incredibly coarse and bushy. Looks like a narrow Christmas tree if you hold the net straight up and down. What's more, when I load the net by cutting length by thirds into one hand, I can barely get my hand around all that net. And I've got big hands. I thrown numerous 10' nets of various brands and never encountered this issue. He says it's always been bushy, even after soaking it in fabric softener, even after free hanging net, even after free hanging net with additional weight added to lead line to enhance "straightening". I've read if the net is bushy and coarse it's because the manufacturer used cheap mono. But Fisher makes good nets and have been doing so for a long time. I don't believe cheap mono is the issue here. Any suggestions on how I can get this net relaxed and slick? It's feels like there is too much netting paneled into the net, but I could be wrong.

Also, is it me or is the collar upside down? The 1st picture with blue horn is my 8' net, also having a dragon swivel. As you can see, the top cap of dragon swivel sits down on top of net, nice and neat. In the 2nd picture of my dads net, the 2 piece collar is loaded upside down...the piece with the holes is on top when it should be on the bottom. And as you can see hopefully, instead of the net jetting down under collar like the blue one, the net jets up over and down the collar. I mention this because I don't know if it makes a difference which way the 2 piece collar should attach to the net.

Replies

• tailwaterstailwaters Posts: 122 Deckhand
    Put a big pot of hot water on the stove and bring the temp almost to the boiling point. Put your net in a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with the hot water. let it sit for 5 min then take it out and hang it. It should get ride of any memory in the net.
  • ClassicAQClassicAQ Posts: 16 Deckhand
    tailwaters wrote: »
    Put a big pot of hot water on the stove and bring the temp almost to the boiling point. Put your net in a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with the hot water. let it sit for 5 min then take it out and hang it. It should get ride of any memory in the net.

I'll give that a try, thanks. Any thoughts on if the collar is upside, and whether or not this makes a difference?
  • ClassicAQClassicAQ Posts: 16 Deckhand
    Quick update. I soaked the net in softener and steaming water for a few hours, then immediately hung the net. I kept it hanging for 2 days. Result wasn't great, but there was progress. Conditioning the net definitely made it slicker, and it wasn't as bushy. I'm going to repeat this process, only this time keep the net soaking for 24-36 hours (told to me by the same store where net was purchased, tampa fishing outfitters). Hopefully it once again straighten up.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,807 Admiral
    ClassicAQ wrote: »
    Quick update. I soaked the net in softener and steaming water for a few hours, then immediately hung the net. I kept it hanging for 2 days. Result wasn't great, but there was progress. Conditioning the net definitely made it slicker, and it wasn't as bushy. I'm going to repeat this process, only this time keep the net soaking for 24-36 hours (told to me by the same store where net was purchased, tampa fishing outfitters). Hopefully it once again straighten up.
    I did that with a 5 gal round cooler ( like you'd fill with drinking water ) with a lid and it worked well, but I don't think I will ever get the smell of fabric softener out of that cooler.
    You should have been here yesterday