Windy Day Slam and Big Snook

Came close to going back to bed this morning with the windy conditions but knew there would be plenty of lee shorelines to fish. I started the morning as planned with some topwater trout on my Zara Spook. Caught two nice ones and then moved to a snook spot that has been holding some fish lately. I put down the 8lb trout outfit and went with my 15lb/ larger Spook rig with 30lb leader and boy did I need it! 2nd cast tight to the mangroves and Mr. Big was waiting. After an awesome battle with this fish and the Sat mornings wind, I half netted/gilled (hooks in mouth)
my biggest snook to date. He was a fat 34" and easily bottomed out my 15lb scale. I am sure he was a 20lb fish.
Anyway, I caught 3 more decent snook before trying for a redfish which was a fat 24"er a couple hours later on a gold spoon. Finished the day with 5 snook,6 trout,1 redfish,and 1 mangrove snapper. Kept one trout and released the rest.

Replies

• j102j102 Posts: 52 Deckhand
    Very nice!
  • Bout TimeBout Time Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    Nothing ventured - nothing gained. Nice work / nice fish.
  • flybymeflybyme Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    Hey brother! That’s a day you’ll never forget!
  • FlecFlec Posts: 571 Officer
    flybyme wrote: »
    Hey brother! That’s a day you’ll never forget!

You are right about that Sis! It was an exciting topwater strike and the fight was a long one with several jumps that I bowed to like you would a tarpon and a couple of strong runs toward the mangroves. I was just praying that he would not wear through my leader. But after several minutes he was really exhausted and reviving him took some time,but he swam away fine.I am so glad I switched to the FG knot for my braid to mono connection.
  • mcsnookmcsnook Posts: 173 Deckhand
    Very very nice, I had a great day on windy Saturday way up river north of Titusville, 6 reds 4 fat mother trout but all summer I've caught snook and none this time, I think they are all headed south, for the winter, just curious how far south are you?
  • FlecFlec Posts: 571 Officer
    I am fishing the Sebastian area. Sounds like you had a great day. Using artificials? Redfish and trout bite has been good lately.
  • mcsnookmcsnook Posts: 173 Deckhand
    100% white 3" shad weedless in 2-3 ft of water ,,,I do put pro-cure fish attracting paste on the shad, somebody gave it to me along time ago, guess I'll never know for sure if that's making a difference or not I may have caught them anyway.