Back Yard Shooting Range - Question

PghFANATICPghFANATIC Posts: 1 Greenhorn
Would a shooting range inside your home be legal? Say in your garage or other part of your house? I have an extra garage bay, I would like to convert. Shooting into a trap and backed by bricks - facing not over any roads or sidewalks, and next door is a vacant lot.

As I learned, Florida banned "back Yard" shooting ranges.

Everything I read in the new LAW refers to shooting OUTSIDE. What do you think about shooting inside your residence for target practicing? Too costly paying range memberships and range fee's, driving to them...ect.

Any information / legal points of contact ?
Thanks!

Florida Statute - 790.15

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.15.html

Replies

• cactus_jimcactus_jim Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Better to ask forgiveness than permission....
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 409 Deckhand
    cactus_jim wrote: »
    Better to ask forgiveness than permission....

haha in most cases, yes. but when it comes to shooting guns in your house, I'd ask permission first.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,264 AG
    That's not much of a distance to shoot at in a garage.

So glad I live where I do and can shoot/hunt in my yard with no worries. I'm also not in a residential area either. lots of folks around here shoot in their yards with shot being over 200 yds to the target/backstop.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,351 Admiral
    As I understand it if you have 2 acres or more and are not in the City Limits...have at it.
    The Law clarification was just passed a year or so ago.
    In my hood we shoot on Saturdays , Holidays , New Years , Last night and most likely again before dawn tomorrow.
    Sometimes it sounds like a War started and I didn't get the Tweet...:huh
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 2,868 Moderator
    Read the law again and read the exceptions. There are exceptions. You can shoot in your backyard with the proper care and precautions. Your garage would be no different.
    An exception right on the link you posted:

(b) If, under the circumstances, the discharge does not pose a reasonably foreseeable risk to life, safety, or property;

It's not cut and dry when it uses words like "reasonably foreseeable" so I would be prepared to show exactly how you plan to keep the projectile on your property. Also consider that a projectile which leaves your property constitutes armed trespass and you are responsible for any damage.
  • mike923mike923 Posts: 255 Deckhand
    I'm not an attorney but the statue you posted specifically states "outdoors". There may be one that addresses indoors but if not you are legal based on this one.
    mike923 wrote: »
    I'm not an attorney but the statue you posted specifically states "outdoors". There may be one that addresses indoors but if not you are legal based on this one.

I do believe there is a section that addresses discharge within a dwelling. It would be worth looking at.
  • mike923mike923 Posts: 255 Deckhand
    james 14 wrote: »
    I do believe there is a section that addresses discharge within a dwelling. It would be worth looking at.

I believe there is one also but I'm not searching for it. I agree also with the "reasonably foreseeable risk". My take is you can shoot in downtown Miami as long as the projectile doesn't leave your property. But like I stated before, I'm not an attorney and if I was going to shoot in downtown Miami, i'd contact my attorney first.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,008 Officer
    Don't forget about safety concerns - burnt gunpowder, lead, and who-knows-what-else floating around int he air for you, your kids, visitors to inhale. Most gun ranges have serious filtration systems.

That being said, my dad used to shoot pellet pistols in the basement when I was growing up.
  • 22donk22donk Posts: 425 Officer
    So worst case you may have to prove you don't have a reasonable foreseeable risk to a judge. Can be very subjective. I believe they re-wrote the law because of the "wreckless manner" part. What's wreckless to one may feel totally safe to another. Again, subjective. IMO they still didn't get around the subjective part.