189 with Etec 150 HO opinions....

CaptainRobCaptainRob Posts: 60 Greenhorn
I have a lead on a 189 that sounds promising but I am concerned with the Etec 150HO. I have owned yamaha, mercury and honda motors in the past, but never an Etec. I usually prefer 4 strokes, but am interested to learn everyones opinion on this combination.

Does anyone currently have this combo or if you have ridden/fished in one what was your impression? I have heard the Etec's can have some injector and powerhead issues, but I'm not sure how prevalent this is. (I also know that all engines have issues, just some more than others)

Any info you can all provide would be greatly appreciated.

Rob
189 Egret

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,305 Officer
    I know renagade69 had a 189 with a Etec 150HO and he like it without issues.

I purchased a new Etec 150HO to re power from Mercury 115 Optimax on another boat I owned at the time. It was the worst decision I ever made. That motor I could never keep running between cooling issues lower unit issues ETC. I would never buy one again. I had no confidence in it to go anywhere far. If it was free I would turn around and sell it as fast as I could a re power with a Yamaha Mercury or Suzuki. Hope this helps.
  • CaptainRobCaptainRob Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    Thanks FlatsBoy, that's exactly the type of info I need to know. Doing some research online it seems like the issues were/are pretty prevalent and lots of owners echo your statements.
    189 Egret
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,964 AG
    I know some early ETECs had issues. I have a 2006 60 and have had no issues other than a fuel contamination that was my fault. I have a friend with the same 2006 60 also with no issues.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,010 Officer
    I ran a factory boat that had a 150 Etec and the boat performed fine. I liked the fact that it was lighter than the 4 strokes of equal power. can say either way about the reliability of the Etec.

I don't know how you fish or how you'll be using the boat. I have a 18 Egret with a Suzuki 140 4 stroke. The guys with the Yamaha 150 are faster but I feel they can't get as skinny.
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 449 Deckhand
    I just ordered a 189 with a Gen. 1 150 ETEC. I can't tell you how the boat performs yet. But I know how tough the decision is and personally would have appreciated any insight while I was making mine. So I offer you my two cents in hopes it will help:

-I first consulted Frank at Egret about which motor he recommends. He recommended the yamaha F150. When asked about the ETECs, he said he found them to be a little "finicky." Sensors tend to go off and shut the motor into safe mode, that type of thing.

-I'm sure you've done a deep dive on the FL Sportsman and Hull Truth forums and found that just about everyone has their own opinion/allegiances on motors. I've read glowing reviews about ETECs, and I've read some from people who have had major problems. However, excluding the ETEC based on that logic would leave me in a kayak: read enough forum posts, and you'll find mixed reviews on every manufacturer.
    I'm neither interested nor qualified to dip my toes into the war of engines debate. At the end of the day, I chose to believe quality and reliability are nearly the same for all current motors. Check back in with me in a year to see if I still believe that.

-A major factor for picking the ETEC came down to the dealer/mechanic. I run an old Johnson on my current boat, and I've found a shop that I really trust. I want to stick with them.

-The weight of the ETEC was also a big factor. It's about 80lbs lighter than an F150 - although a little heavier than a 140 suzuki. Frank at Egret says you can mitigate the extra weight of a 4-stroke by putting your batteries in the front compartment. I chose to believe that these boats would perform best for my type of fishing with a lighter motor. Check back with me in a year to see if I still believe that.

-Secondary factors came down the cost and ease of maintenance. No break in, less routine maintenance and no oil changes. I also got an extended warranty, which was nice. These were more the upside of an ETEC rather than reasons for putting one on my boat. If you're spending this much $ on a boat, it seems shortsighted to pick an engine primarily on the cost of maintenance. And if my assumption about the ETEC's reliability is wrong, the boat will be laid up in the shop anyway.

-Another thing to keep in mind: the Gen. 1 150 HOs are no longer in production, and Evinrude will soon phase out all the Gen 1s. Parts will be manufactured for another 6 or so years, according to my mechanic. That was a bitter pill to swallow.
    Chongg, appreciate your input and help. I didn't know that the Gen 1 Etec's were being phased out and parts would be discontinued down the line. That is big for me as I plan to keep this boat and motor a while. Since I plan on livebaiting and also plug fishing, I am slightly sensitive to weight, but I would far rather have a reliable motor than worry about 1 inch or so of draft.

Just in doing my basic research on the net, I am leaning towards seeing if I can repower the boat to a four stroke, particularly the new 150 mercury. I really liked my 60 merc on the HB and have heard nothing but good things about the reliability and fuel efficiency of the new 150.
    In a perfect world I would go with the F150 Yamaha or 150SHO, but they come with a significant price increase.
    189 Egret
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,305 Officer
    I will add this also to the thread. Etec oil was more than Mercury Oil or doing a 4 stroke oil change over the coarse of a 12 month period. At the time the No Maintenance For Three Years only pertained to Fresh Water Run Motors! (per manual & warranty)
    Looks good on paper & I feel into the hype also but in the real world not so much!
    Good Luck with your choice you should of listened to Frank on this one!
  • Larry418Larry418 Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    I have Renegades 189 with the 150 HO.
    My prior and only other boat had a 4 stroke Yamaha.
    I have had 0 issues with the e-tec. My top speed was just over 55, full gas tank and lots of gear... but my wife and I weigh 300#s combined .
    Typically run 45 mph on long [email protected] about 4300 rpms
    Being inexperienced with 2 strokes ,I was concerned about smell and noise but I guess those issues have been eliminated.
    I would not go 300 hrs with out a service.
    The engine has near 400 hrs and it has had three full services. I fish the back country and I want to be confident I’ve controlled the controlables
    I am more than happy with the e-tec’s performance. Good luck with your choice
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,228 Officer
    I owned 4 Etec's on various boats. It is there flagship motor and very dependable. Flats boy was always testing props and trying to make a race boat out of his rig. If you want a race boat get a Merc. They are faster. The 150HO is a great motor.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    CaptainRob wrote: »
    Chongg, appreciate your input and help. I didn't know that the Gen 1 Etec's were being phased out and parts would be discontinued down the line. That is big for me as I plan to keep this boat and motor a while. Since I plan on livebaiting and also plug fishing, I am slightly sensitive to weight, but I would far rather have a reliable motor than worry about 1 inch or so of draft.

Just in doing my basic research on the net, I am leaning towards seeing if I can repower the boat to a four stroke, particularly the new 150 mercury. I really liked my 60 merc on the HB and have heard nothing but good things about the reliability and fuel efficiency of the new 150.
    In a perfect world I would go with the F150 Yamaha or 150SHO, but they come with a significant price increase.
    I'm not sure what made you want one of these trashy boats. But I'll be the first to welcome you to the family!:grin

Sounds like you fish very similar to how I fish. Not sure if you're guiding. But I can tell you this much. I was guiding at the time when I re powered my boat. I was fortunate to have a friend that rebuilt blow outboards for the various dealers here in So. Fl. I asked him what motor he would buy if he were in my shoes. He said a Suzuki 140. when I asked him why he said they don't break.

So I bought a Suzuki 140 hp. (4 stroke) and have now had it for about 11 years. I want to say it has around 4000 hours. The only things that I've had to change aside from the normal maintenance things like oil, filters and plugs etc. Has been the main harness about two years ago and this year I had to change the IAC sensor.

I cruise in the low to mid 30's with a top speed of 46 MPH.
    Larry, what type of gas mileage you get at cruising 4300 rpm and top speed? Thanks.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,941 Captain
    I've run two Egrets with the 150 E-Tec and thought it was the best power for that hull (I've also run a couple of Egrets with 175's and very carefully never ran them wide open - but I'm just the Captain - not the owner...). I've run nothing but E-Tecs now on my own smaller skiff (an old Maverick) since they first came out in 2005, using nothing but alcohol laced fuel (standard cheap stuff) in hard commercial service without the slightest problem with the cheaper XD50 oil - again, not the slightest problem... compared to other makes that try to avoid alcohol in their fuels if at all possible. Yes, I've lost an occasional injector (but all that happened was that I came home on two cylinders instead of three -for the 90hp model). A new injector and you were back in service.... All of these were only 90's, though - not the 150...

My advice to anyone considering an E-Tec would be to make sure you have a solid BRP dealer for that motor, period. All of the E-Tecs need a factory trained tech with the correct year/model software on the computer that's hooked up to your motor for service/troubleshooting... Lower units aren't a bit different than any other motors - the power portion is dramatically different - and you don't ever want a general marine tech anywhere near it... If your local dealer is solid, with a good reputation and quite a few motors under their care I'd recommend them any time... If no BRP dealer with the above close to you.. buy another brand...

Yes, the gen 1 motors will be getting phased out - but I'd have a hard time believing that parts won't be available since the motors are built in country and their reputation rides on them - no matter how old they are... The new generation of E-Tecs should by now include the 150 size (or will any moment). I had to learn a tutorial about them to be able to work in BRP booths at local boat shows - and from what i know the new generation of motors is the creme de la creme... Get a look at one if you haven't had the opportunity most of the important changes aren't visible at all... A gen 1 motor will get you a substantial price savings but the newer models have features that no other motors have... (they're the real deal and well worth a close look for any one considering re-power or a new build....)

Yes, I'm lucky enough to be on BRP's guide program (and 0MC's before them...) but I get no freebies and stand in line for my maintenance like everyone else... My dealer for some years has been SeaPower in south Dade...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    I should but don’t know, I am fishing tomorrow for the first time in a couple months, I will try to make note.
    I rarely go more than two trips without refueling ... not that it needs it but I keep it full with the hope of preventing condensation. 2 trips maybe 100 miles usual fill up , maybe 15 gallons.... but I rarely run wide open.... Renegade can probably give a better answer.... with a 56 gallon tank I seldom need to concern myself with usage.... As far as economy ,I spend more on Gulps... my wife feeds them to the Snappers but she did catch a couple Tarpon and a Cobia as well as the rest of the Flamingo residents
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    I've run two Egrets with the 150 E-Tec and thought it was the best power for that hull (I've also run a couple of Egrets with 175's and very carefully never ran them wide open - but I'm just the Captain - not the owner...). I've run nothing but E-Tecs now on my own smaller skiff (an old Maverick) since they first came out in 2005, using nothing but alcohol laced fuel (standard cheap stuff) in hard commercial service without the slightest problem with the cheaper XD50 oil - again, not the slightest problem... compared to other makes that try to avoid alcohol in their fuels if at all possible. Yes, I've lost an occasional injector (but all that happened was that I came home on two cylinders instead of three -for the 90hp model). A new injector and you were back in service.... All of these were only 90's, though - not the 150...

My advice to anyone considering an E-Tec would be to make sure you have a solid BRP dealer for that motor, period. All of the E-Tecs need a factory trained tech with the correct year/model software on the computer that's hooked up to your motor for service/troubleshooting... Lower units aren't a bit different than any other motors - the power portion is dramatically different - and you don't ever want a general marine tech anywhere near it... If your local dealer is solid, with a good reputation and quite a few motors under their care I'd recommend them any time... If no BRP dealer with the above close to you.. buy another brand...

Yes, the gen 1 motors will be getting phased out - but I'd have a hard time believing that parts won't be available since the motors are built in country and their reputation rides on them - no matter how old they are... The new generation of E-Tecs should by now include the 150 size (or will any moment). I had to learn a tutorial about them to be able to work in BRP booths at local boat shows - and from what i know the new generation of motors is the creme de la creme... Get a look at one if you haven't had the opportunity most of the important changes aren't visible at all... A gen 1 motor will get you a substantial price savings but the newer models have features that no other motors have... (they're the real deal and well worth a close look for any one considering re-power or a new build....)

Yes, I'm lucky enough to be on BRP's guide program (and 0MC's before them...) but I get no freebies and stand in line for my maintenance like everyone else... My dealer for some years has been SeaPower in south Dade...

Bob, appreciate your input. I know you put significant time on your motors so its nice to hear that you have had a quality experience. I am still skeptical of the 150HO, but its good to hear that you have been happy.
    189 Egret
    Remember that my long running time is only for the 90 motor - not the 150. I do think that a 150 is the ideal power setup for the standard Egret (and that's exactly what I'd have if I'm ever fortunate enough to own one..). Standard Egrets with 175 motors seem a bit tender to me when you're nearing full throttle.... Yeah they'll fly but feel like they do want to get a bit airborne - and when I'm running someone else's boat I'm careful not to bend it.... The fun part is that every now and then I do get a new Egret owner wanting to have me aboard (I should be paying them....).

I know that in other parts of the state E-Tecs haven't caught on as quickly as they should have, that's why I thought I'd chime in about my experience with them.... Your dealer support will be the critical factor since every E-Tec needs to be set up and maintained properly. Remember we're talking about a fuel injected two stroke that actually beats any other motor currently made for how clean it burns... If they actually start holding four strokes to the standard that E-Tecs already meet there'd be some real distress from that part of the spectrum..... Back when folks with four strokes were tearing their hair out over fuel compatibility problems my E-Tecs never had the slightest fuel problem - and I was running standard, cheap gasohol fuel (and still do....).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    Remember that my long running time is only for the 90 motor - not the 150. I do think that a 150 is the ideal power setup for the standard Egret (and that's exactly what I'd have if I'm ever fortunate enough to own one..). Standard Egrets with 175 motors seem a bit tender to me when you're nearing full throttle.... Yeah they'll fly but feel like they do want to get a bit airborne - and when I'm running someone else's boat I'm careful not to bend it.... The fun part is that every now and then I do get a new Egret owner wanting to have me aboard (I should be paying them....).

I know that in other parts of the state E-Tecs haven't caught on as quickly as they should have, that's why I thought I'd chime in about my experience with them.... Your dealer support will be the critical factor since every E-Tec needs to be set up and maintained properly. Remember we're talking about a fuel injected two stroke that actually beats any other motor currently made for how clean it burns... If they actually start holding four strokes to the standard that E-Tecs already meet there'd be some real distress from that part of the spectrum..... Back when folks with four strokes were tearing their hair out over fuel compatibility problems my E-Tecs never had the slightest fuel problem - and I was running standard, cheap gasohol fuel (and still do....).

Hi Bob,
    I think what your noticing is that at those rpm's/speed the 189 Egret is riding on top of the waves. You can trim it down just a bit and it will run flat over the chop. Don't be afraid to push the throttle and don't worry you're not going to hurt the boat.

I agree the 150 or 175 Etec is a great motor for the Egret 18...Pete
    Don't mean to keep hijacking your thread, Captain Rob, but I got a question for Boy Lemay:
    I've taken a peak at the Gen 2 Etecs and they look BIG. Seems to me like you'd have to find an oversized poling platform to hang one on a flats boat. Am I wrong?

Also another thought on whether to get an Etec: seems like people hold mixed perceptions of the Etec. Regardless of whether they are good motors, resale might be a little more difficult with the Evinrude. After all, you might have already purchased the boat if it was powered by a yammie or zuke.
    Every motor has a different profile (how high it sits above the transom) so boat builders are aware that, at times, they might need a different height poling platform... Those differences show up dramatically when you have a much older hull (like my 30 year old Maverick). After I'd owned it about 15 years, all of a sudden new motors had a higher profile than what the Maverick was originally built for, so I needed to have my tower raised a few inches to clear the cowling properly - not as difficult as you'd guess since any competent pipe welder can make a change or two resulting in a higher clearance (whatever's needed). A few years later when my old tower needed replacing the fabricator took into account the higher profiles of currently available motors and the new tower was everything I've needed since then... Some of the towers I see on new flats boats these days appear to be at nosebleed heights to my eye - but maybe it's because I'm still running an old fashioned setup... In short I don't know how high the gen 2 E-Tecs sit - I'd need a tape measure - then have to do a comparison with a current model Egret...

As far as re-sale goes a lot will depend on whether the E-tec has a solid dealer setup in your area.. In places where they don't have much in the way to really good dealer support I'm sure they're not as popular...

A quick note -this past weekend I ran three days out of Flamingo and every day we ran between 70 and 80 miles 'round trip.. in places where no one will even come looking for us if we broke down.... This on a 90 E-Tec that's two years out of warranty.... by the way the snook are on fire right now along the Gulf coast of the 'Glades....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • UFGator86UFGator86 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    Heavier than a Suzuki 140, oil, gen 1 etc - I sincerely hope you have good luck with it I could not have done it! I thought I was taking a risk going from Yamaha to Suzuki.
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 247 Deckhand
    [QUOTE=Larry418;3070964... with a 56 gallon tank I seldom need to concern myself with usage.... As far as economy ,I spend more on Gulps... [/QUOTE]

Larry, if you have the olive green egret, then you have my boat -I was the original owner and sold it to Frank. I also had no problems with the ETEC. I have bad news for you - you do not have a 56 gallon tank. I believe it is 40 gallons. I thought it was 56 gallons and ran out of gas out on the water, and then laster found out it was made with a smaller tank. You should call Egret to find out so the same does not happen to you.
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
    Larry, if you have the olive green egret, then you have my boat -I was the original owner and sold it to Frank. I also had no problems with the ETEC. I have bad news for you - you do not have a 56 gallon tank. I believe it is 40 gallons. I thought it was 56 gallons and ran out of gas out on the water, and then laster found out it was made with a smaller tank. You should call Egret to find out so the same does not happen to you.

Thanks for the concern, but my tank is 56 gallons.
    It is Atlantic blue.....2011 build.