Try for grouper 10-16-17

Yesterday 10-16, went out with my two friends in hopes of finding grouper. We had sardines and squid, but first, we stopped in Homosassa Bay and fished for bait and caught some pinfish. We then headed to the 12' area and hit some structures, where we caught some nice size Grunts, small mangoes and sea bass. We then moved various times then the water went slack as did the wind. It became pretty hot. We decided to get some cool air, so we moved and hit a mark in the 20' range, where we boated a thick 23" Gag (we couldn't stretch it :)) on a live pin fish. We also caught a couple of Reds, sharks, catfish and more grunts. We also used some smaller grunts and cut up blue runner. However, no keeper Grouper but we came home with some of the larger grunts. Overall great day. Probably will be better in about 2-3 weeks when the water cools more.

Replies

• Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 957 Officer
    yea it should be better in a a month but least u got some dinner
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,610 Captain
    23" gag is a nice fish and put a good bend in someone's rod. Coming home with a delicious grunt dinner is always good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,936 Moderator
    I like the part about the wind laying down. :cool: Always a hassle fishing in a bumpy boat.
    Thanks for sharing.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,700 AG
    I've caught 22 and 23" grouper before and it's always bittersweet. It's exciting to get them up and in the boat, then waive goodbye as they swim away. I always tell em "see you soon".
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 561 Officer
    :thumbsup
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,958 Captain
    We ended up out there for a half day trip. Lost voltage regulator, so we lost the morning. Got one on and headed out. You were right. Hot! Hoping the waters start to cool off. Out fishing was plane out bad.+
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]