Duck Hunting NE FL Restrictions

cactus_jimcactus_jim Posts: 14 Greenhorn
A guy at work just told me that there are some new restrictions on duck hunting in the ICW in Jacksonville. It's totally possible that he is wrong.

He mentioned that areas near Marsh Landing and some other areas were now off limits and would incur a 10K fine. Is this something new other than the posted signs in Cabbage Creek and Pablo Creek areas? Is there a map available o do I just need to keep my eyes peeled for posted signs?

Replies

• Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 1,002 Officer
    Yuppie Marsh landing residents put up the signs and they mean nothing. According to the FWC officer I talked to at the ramp you can hunt it still hunt that area. Im pretty sure they took those signs down, too. If you can get there from a public boat ramp, hunt it. Same thing goes with fishing. If they harass you, just be polite and call FWC and alert then. They'll set them straight.
  • cactus_jimcactus_jim Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the heads up. I couldn't believe that if it wasn't on myfwc that it was official, but then again it's not the most comprehensive website.
  • Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 1,002 Officer
    cactus_jim wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up. I couldn't believe that if it wasn't on myfwc that it was official, but then again it's not the most comprehensive website.

Yeah, they must pride themselves on being vague. I would go ahead and call them to double check what I told you if you do plan to hunt there. It was 2015 when I spoke to the officer, right around the time they put those signs up.
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 1,957 Captain
    If you determine the areas are "state waters" anyone trying to enforce firearms restrictions beyond the Florida State Laws can be fined $5000. This includes local office holders and the local law officers.

UW-F watches out for these situations....email the particulars....city, town....county....or organization that put up signs or proclaimed the area as "no firearms" or "no hunting"....The FWC recently set up about 20 new Wildlife Sanctuary's in FL. Local hunters looked at them and oked them...These tend to be small islands or points with species considered threatened....

[email protected]
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,662 Admiral
    can you elaborate on those 20 places there Newt..
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 2,850 Captain
    Where on the FWC web site to they list the wildlife sanctuaries?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,777 AG
    Reel Teal wrote: »
    Where on the FWC web site to they list the wildlife sanctuaries?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

http://www.fnai.org/webmaps/ConLandsMap/

This website (Florida Natural Areas Inventory) is an interactive map that is SUPPOSED to have every parcel of public land in Florida.

Would be a start for all public land searches. Click on the parcel and it will give you some info, owner, manager, public access, etc.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • cactus_jimcactus_jim Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    With respect to Cabbage Creek specifically, after looking at property appraisal maps, Cabbage Creek is owned by UNF. From what I have read, Cabbage is not a man made creek and is navigable state water. Stepping foot in the marsh is iffy, but being on the water is not.
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 1,957 Captain
    Not off hand.....the last Commission meeting presentation or minutes should list them.