10/15/2017 - Slow in Jupiter and keeping myself humble.

Haven't seen many reports lately, good bad or otherwise, so here goes a not so great one.

Got a late start on Sunday, splashed around 10:00 or so. Half way out the intercoastal, both motors sputter out and won't start. I topped off both tanks before the hurricane and this was my first time out since. Both motors dead, seems like a fuel issue. Die within a few minutes of each other. How does this happen? Its a cat so both sides are completely separate. Maybe water in the fuel. Check filters. Weird, there's vacuum in the line when I pull my inline filters out at the motor. Almost like they are both clogged on the tank side and pulling vacuum. No fuel in the filters. Can't get the canister filter unscrewed to check them because I didn't bring a filter wrench. Doh!

Was going to call Towboat US or try to flag down a tow back to the ramp when I remember...prepping for Irma and reading that you should close your fuel valves at the tank. Why? I don't know but it seemed legit. The light bulb in my head went off (dimly) and the boat ran MUCH better with the fuel valves open. I only got flak from my crew for about 2 hours after that. Pretty much the equivalent of forgetting to put your plug in.

By now its almost 11, we see a guide friend of Dave's, who graciously offers us a dozen finger mullets. The inlet was a little snotty but not bad, outside was really nice. I think people were put off by the forecast because there were very few boats out. Forecast showed 4 foot but they were nice long 8-9 second swells. I don't think it was 4 until way out in the gulf stream but again very spaced out and no problem. On the fishing...well it was pretty slow. Very dirty nasty toilet water all the way out to about 70 feet, where there was a hard weed/color change to nice blue. We worked that line a while, trolled/drifted in 120, 170, 220 ish. Flyers here and there, followed a frigate. Nothing really happening. Nice weed in 170ish but no action. Made a long run out to 1000 or so...nada. Finally towards the end of the day we get a good sailfish hit in 90 on a mahi-colored chugger. Came unbuttoned at the first jump. That was really it. Wish I had pics of lots of mahi but we left them all out there for the rest of you!
Fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, and software geek (not necessarily in that order, depending on the day)
www.makologic.com
[email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...

Replies

• BarracudaBarracuda Posts: 767 Officer
    MakoLogic wrote: »
    Haven't seen many reports lately, good bad or otherwise, so here goes a not so great one.

Got a late start on Sunday, splashed around 10:00 or so. Half way out the intercoastal, both motors sputter out and won't start. I topped off both tanks before the hurricane and this was my first time out since. Both motors dead, seems like a fuel issue. Die within a few minutes of each other. How does this happen? Its a cat so both sides are completely separate. Maybe water in the fuel. Check filters. Weird, there's vacuum in the line when I pull my inline filters out at the motor. Almost like they are both clogged on the tank side and pulling vacuum. No fuel in the filters. Can't get the canister filter unscrewed to check them because I didn't bring a filter wrench. Doh!

Was going to call Towboat US or try to flag down a tow back to the ramp when I remember...prepping for Irma and reading that you should close your fuel valves at the tank. Why? I don't know but it seemed legit. The light bulb in my head went off (dimly) and the boat ran MUCH better with the fuel valves open. I only got flak from my crew for about 2 hours after that. Pretty much the equivalent of forgetting to put your plug in.

By now its almost 11, we see a guide friend of Dave's, who graciously offers us a dozen finger mullets. The inlet was a little snotty but not bad, outside was really nice. I think people were put off by the forecast because there were very few boats out. Forecast showed 4 foot but they were nice long 8-9 second swells. I don't think it was 4 until way out in the gulf stream but again very spaced out and no problem. On the fishing...well it was pretty slow. Very dirty nasty toilet water all the way out to about 70 feet, where there was a hard weed/color change to nice blue. We worked that line a while, trolled/drifted in 120, 170, 220 ish. Flyers here and there, followed a frigate. Nothing really happening. Nice weed in 170ish but no action. Made a long run out to 1000 or so...nada. Finally towards the end of the day we get a good sailfish hit in 90 on a mahi-colored chugger. Came unbuttoned at the first jump. That was really it. Wish I had pics of lots of mahi but we left them all out there for the rest of you!

Thanks, I was kind of kicking myself for not going this weekend...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,485 Captain
    Good report even though the catching was slow...
    Glad the fuel problem was a quick fix. :grin

Pura Vida!