Skip to main content
Home Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Good quality grill

pepperfirepepperfire Senior MemberJax, flPosts: 265 Deckhand
Looking at buying a good quality grill and building and outdoor kitchen around it. Want something that will last not the Home Depot kind.
Any suggestions or pics of your set up and brand
FreeSpoolin' Fishing team 
Captain 

Replies

• troutdigglertroutdiggler Senior Member Posts: 399 Deckhand
    I don't believe they make a "good" Grill anymore, most are designed to last about 2 years. Get a stainless one, which is only stainless on the shell of the actual grill. Make a copy of the bottom pan out of stainless and make some stainless burner covers, then you only have to replace the burners until it completely falls apart. Or pay $1500 for a good one that will last about 4 years. I'm a little jaded by money spent on grills that rust away after one year. Of course I never put the cover on because if it does get wet it will rust twice as fast. You can get free stainless from restaurants that close down, behind the grills under the hood system, just yank it off the wall, or buy it(cost of a new grill)
    Trout

• MenziesMenzies Senior Member Jacksonville - Where Florida Begins!Posts: 19,289 AG
    We bought our current house in the fall of 2014. We had a TON of work that needed doing, inside and out.

One project was turning a pool "cabana," which had a nasty bathroom and shower, into a bar and summer kitchen.

See photos below. As well as brand of grill and fan. These are holding up very well, but we were pretty liberal with available money since this was to be our dream, and last home. After this is will be a condo.

The company that did it also did all the pavers around the house and pool. We had to ride them a lot to get it finished off on the kitchen as they subbed it - but the missus was very pleased with the end result, and still is!

Let me know if you want the figures and I will try and find them.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • TmundyTmundy Member Posts: 48 Deckhand
    Party at Menzies??
  • MenziesMenzies Senior Member Jacksonville - Where Florida Begins!Posts: 19,289 AG
    What cover charge are you thinking?
  • StayinLazyStayinLazy Senior Member JacksonvillePosts: 470 Deckhand
    $5 and a bottle of rum should suffice
  • TmundyTmundy Member Posts: 48 Deckhand
    Case of beer and a steak?
  • Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Senior Member JaxPosts: 1,428 Officer
    Hey Mike...Got mine from Pratt guys in Phillips HWY by JTB...Think it's a Twin Eagles or Delta Heat...Awesome so far!
  • RedactionRedaction Senior Member JaxPosts: 2,044 Captain
    Menzies wrote: »
    What cover charge are you thinking?

Have all of us over to discuss
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Senior Member Posts: 5,536 Admiral
    That's what I'm sayin'....party at Menzies....full moon skinny dippin party at that ...:willynilly

Trust me...you'll be the talk of the neighborhood....:grin

Back to the OP....

I think the only one that will last a good while would be the Green Egg....but they're big bucks !!

You cookin with gas or charcoal ??

Or if you had the room...go old school and make an outdoor brick grill////can double as a fireplace, or roast oysters...just sweep it out when the wood is all burned.

Find an old lighter stump in the woods, for fire starter.....get some black jack oak, or go around and collect all the blown down chopped up hickory you can find on the roadside from the hurricane.

Steve
  • ric1ric1 Member Posts: 227 Deckhand
    Best advice is you will get what you pay for. We bought a 40" Lion from Outdoor Kitchens about 2 years ago, $2,400 with a cart. We needed portability. Quality stainless throughout including the burners, no regrets. Use it weekly for large crowds and it has served us very well.

Mark Allen
    President/Designer
    Outdoor Kitchens by Design, Inc.
    Office: 904-264-2270
    Cell: 904-993-1002

Attended a Home and Patio Show in Daytona recently and wife fell in love with a built in from Paradise Grill out of Orlando. They delivered and setup with countertops, fridge and build in LED lighting with an umbrella. We've used it a couple of times but really like it.

I've learned its a matter of how much quality do you want and what are you willing to spend for it.
    Instead of giving your children everything you didn't have, teach them everything you didn't know. I promise their future will turn out better! :wink
  • PangamanPangaman Senior Member JacksonvillePosts: 911 Officer
    I have a Kamado Joe, similar to a big green egg. After 4 years still looks like new. The kamados you can get the band and cap in stainless steel vs the cast iron that will rust on the green egg. You can adjust the temperature real low to smoke something for 15 hours or crank it up to 700 degrees and sear a steak. Lifetime warranty on all the parts. Food tastes alot better on the charcoal too.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski Senior Member GrovelandPosts: 16,680 AG
    Find a restaurant supply store, there are more than a few of them around. Get a char broiler from them. Not as pretty as the ones you buy for personal use, but they will perform. best ones are flat, and one side will be a flat top/other side for grilling. you'll use the flat top as much as the broiler for bacon/pancakes/hibachi vegetables, and if you're making brats or sausages, you set your pan of onions/peppers/beer right on it and cook it that way, then throw those bad boys in there to bathe after cooking.

If i had the money that is what i would do. Take it FWIW. Oh and spend the money on a hood vent. you don't want soot burns all over the place. or smoke everywhere.
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • pepperfirepepperfire Senior Member Jax, flPosts: 265 Deckhand
    Thanks everyone, hey Tyler u have pics of yours, did find one I am interested in it's a Napolean Pro 500 at Ace Hardware at marsh landing. Will check out the Pratts place
    Captain 
  • pepperfirepepperfire Senior Member Jax, flPosts: 265 Deckhand
    Meninzes how is yours holding up
    Captain 
  • Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Senior Member JaxPosts: 1,428 Officer
    Yeah it's a delta heat.. Going on three years with no issues or surface rust. I keep cover off like others said bc it holds moisture. 53ec1e3c6969399b8a2a1d87f77b2346.jpg

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    pepperfire wrote: »
    Meninzes how is yours holding up

Zero issues - we use it probably 3-4 times a week. Did a nice Teriaki flank steak last night after we got home from the game.

One thing to note about a "summer" or outside kitchen. You need to keep it well cleaned after every use or it will attract the roaches. We use BBQ mats instead of direct grilling which helps. I also spray every few weeks. It's Florida so you aren't going to remove the problem, but you can minimize it.

We have been using the Lau Kingdom BBQ mats for a couple of years and they still have great non-stick quality. Healthier too.

laukingdom-bbq-grill-mat-gifts-for-dad-2016.jpg
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Senior Member Posts: 5,536 Admiral
    They're just little crispy bites of protein....:willynilly
    Sea Snake wrote: »
    They're just little crispy bites of protein....:willynilly

Little?

If our grill wasn't screwed down they would walk it away!
  • CyclistCyclist Senior Member GvillePosts: 23,340 AG
    Native Floridians have known about this for some time...
    HRT_6_300dpi__34828.1355166690.500.750.jpg
  • FlashFlash Senior Member Chiefland/Cedar KeyPosts: 12,492 AG
    I don't believe they make a "good" Grill anymore, most are designed to last about 2 years. Get a stainless one, which is only stainless on the shell of the actual grill. Make a copy of the bottom pan out of stainless and make some stainless burner covers, then you only have to replace the burners until it completely falls apart. Or pay $1500 for a good one that will last about 4 years. I'm a little jaded by money spent on grills that rust away after one year. Of course I never put the cover on because if it does get wet it will rust twice as fast. You can get free stainless from restaurants that close down, behind the grills under the hood system, just yank it off the wall, or buy it(cost of a new grill)

You're right, they still fall apart and mine was inside on a screened in porch. Lasted almost 4 years. Instead of $600 + this time I went with the $189 one at Wal-mart. Bought extra burners and covers for burners. Did have to add another temp gauge but it is going on 6 years now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • twirptwirp Senior Member Jax.Posts: 1,128 Officer
    I have a Green Egg, Weber Genesis, and small Weber gas grill. The newest of the pack is the Egg, and we love it. The Genesis is 10 now, and works as good as new. The small Weber is a Q series and being a family of 3, it's the most used grill I have and also doubles for boat days at the sandbar. With that being said; we have 15-25 people here almost every Sunday during football season and we host all of the big, traditional holidays and most of the birthdays for our immediate family. I personally use all of them simultaneously when we have a lot of folks here. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Weber Genesis, but would love what Menzies has, or what the fella (forgot screen name) has that he picked up at The Pratt Guys. I love the Egg, but the wife only likes certain things off it, think traditional BBQ stuff. I personally love the natural flavor charcoal provides, and cook any and everything on it.

I believe low end grilles only last a season or two, but I also believe that everything requires care and maintenance. I wash and wax the exterior of my grilles a few times a year, clean the guts after every use, and cover them when not in use. Over the top? Maybe. When my equipment last as long as it has and looks as good as it does, I'm happy. I care for my home, vehicles, boat, and my rods and reels (yes, I wax those too!) the same way.

....well, I don't wax the house :rotflmao
    Pathfinder-Logo-300x103.jpg
    twirp wrote: »
    I have a Green Egg, Weber Genesis, and small Weber gas grill. The newest of the pack is the Egg, and we love it. The Genesis is 10 now, and works as good as new. The small Weber is a Q series and being a family of 3, it's the most used grill I have and also doubles for boat days at the sandbar. With that being said; we have 15-25 people here almost every Sunday during football season and we host all of the big, traditional holidays and most of the birthdays for our immediate family. I personally use all of them simultaneously when we have a lot of folks here. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Weber Genesis, but would love what Menzies has, or what the fella (forgot screen name) has that he picked up at The Pratt Guys. I love the Egg, but the wife only likes certain things off it, think traditional BBQ stuff. I personally love the natural flavor charcoal provides, and cook any and everything on it.

I believe low end grilles only last a season or two, but I also believe that everything requires care and maintenance. I wash and wax the exterior of my grilles a few times a year, clean the guts after every use, and cover them when not in use. Over the top? Maybe. When my equipment last as long as it has and looks as good as it does, I'm happy. I care for my home, vehicles, boat, and my rods and reels (yes, I wax those too!) the same way.

....well, I don't wax the house :rotflmao

Hmm, so do you, you know, wax everything! :grin
  • PangamanPangaman Senior Member JacksonvillePosts: 911 Officer
    Paid $1200 for a DCS grill years ago. It was all stainless steel except for the manifold inside was steel. The manifold rusted out after 6 years. Had to grind out where it was welded together to repair. Like my Kamado Joe. No burners, manifolds, ect. to go bad. The Kamado's are a little better made than the green eggs.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski Senior Member GrovelandPosts: 16,680 AG
    My cheapo Lowes grill has lasted about 4 years, burners are rusting out and it's time to replace. I had a Ducane back in the early 2000s, good grill, but like every other one, it would rust out and it didn't last much longer than the ones i'm paying 150 for every 4 years now. So I can't see spending the extra money, and I've covered Grills, cleaned them, done all the maintenance and they never seem to get past 4-5 years. So now i just assume I'm getting spending $40 a year to own the grill, and after 4-5 years it's time to replace.

When my pool was built I had the guy who built the retaining wall put in a BBQ pit for me that I use charcoal on. So i don't really NEED a propane grill, but it's nice to have both.
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • BadfishBadfish Senior Member Neptune Beach, FLPosts: 1,118 Officer
    Been happy with Weber spirit. I live at beaches and didn’t expect much but it’s held up great. Hard to beat the value
  • nitroskiffnitroskiff Senior Member Jax, FLPosts: 1,623 Captain
    All I can say is any weber!!!! I used to buy the wally world and home depot grilles. Replace burners igniter etc every year or two. Got tired of it. Spent the extra money for a Weber. Wont ever own anything else I use my grill 2-4 days a week every week. Its now about 9 years old. Only thing I have ever replaced was the cooking grids. Mainly my mistake...I forgot I had the grille on self clean mode. You know the rest LOL. My brother in law went against my advice and bought a $1500 ss grille at Home depot. Just because it says ss doesn't mean it will last. There are different levels of quality ss. Mine isn't even ss. He replaced igniter, cooking grates and etc...... bottom of grille rusted out in 4-5 years. His was stored in a garage, mine is stored outside with just a weber cover. I will never consider anything but a Weber!!!!! In the long run this grille has saved me hundreds of dollars over the years. Just cooked on it tonight, fired right up!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Nitro Performance Bass Boats
  • echo4echoecho4echo Junior Member Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Broilmaster, Cast aluminum housing, burner and some internal components covered under a lifetime warranty, made in USA. Expensive but IMO you get what you pay for.