"Nearshore-Cobia and Mackerel" Homosassa 10/12/2017

We finally got to go fishing today!! With storms, vacation, and 10 days of bowhunting, there just has been no fishing. Wanted to hit the water Wed., but something came up and Thursday ended up being our day. Not the best, had a Northeast wind all day, making it a little rough. Headed out to a rock pile in 17ft, and there's crab traps all over. Do the best anchoring I can, but still have a trap on each side of boat. Start a chum slick, and the bait responds. Excellent amounts of bait. Almost to much. We sit for awhile, with only one small shark. Nice not to have to play with those things. Finally Gail gets a hit and cobia on! There are two of them and I pitch my cobia jig and I am on. Gail goes on to land hers. Loose mine to a mackerel. Mack try's to take the jig out of the cobias mouth and cuts the line. Loose cobia and my favorite jig! Gail's fish is short, so tag it and send it back.

Things slow down again, but there are Macks everywhere, so Gail wants to play with them, so I rig a rod up with some wire and turn her loose. She boats five, which is a perfect amount for some smoked fish dip. I have to pry the rod out of her hands, she having major fun.
Table shot of her Macks.

Five fish have a lot of meat. I might have enough left over for some cerviche.

Back to the cobia fishing. After getting her to quit, I float a pinfish back and get a major hit. Jumbo cobia on! He runs out back, and I am hoping he stays there, but no. He starts circling the boat. Guess what's back behind the bow. Two crab traps. He clears first one, clears anchor rope, and heads right into the next trap. Breaks off. It's that time of year, trap city!
Well we decide to pull anchor, but I notice that the weeds, which were bad are now breaking up. It's tide changing and it's making it where you can pull some lures. Tell Gail that we will give it 30 or forty minutes just to see what's happening on these shallow grouper grounds. One lizard, and one massive grouper strike. He makes it back to the bottom. So, trolling is not far off. Weeds are still around, but I have a feeling that they will be letting up some. At least I hope.
Great to be back on the water. Conditions are looking up. Bait everywhere. Cobia are out there. Find you a rock pile and hang out.
Enjoy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 422 Deckhand
    Well done, king and queen of cobia wars! Glad to see your post.
    SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,210 Officer
    :thumbsup
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,515 Captain
    Good trip. I agree with Gail, catching Macs is fun! I lost a good cobia the other day. We needed to start the engine and chase but a catfish had run up current and wrapped braid around my prop. :mad. That's what makes it exciting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,229 Admiral
    Awesome report man, thanks for sharing. I was thinking of heading out of Bayport this weekend to see what's going on myself.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 555 Officer
    :fishing
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 488 Deckhand
    That's a great report. Fun to read!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,675 Moderator
    Those are decent size mac's ! Nice .
    "You'll get your weather"
  • smhsmh Posts: 230 Deckhand
    Thanks for the report! I love Macs smoked, and they make good ceviche too!
  • SevenweightSevenweight Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    Great report Tom! Too bad about the lost cobia. :mad
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 918 Officer
    nice spanish
  • WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 614 Officer
    Great report, almost makes me want to brave the deepish water myself. Macks are fun.
  • SassaWhalerSassaWhaler Posts: 113 Deckhand
    :thumbsup
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,226 Officer
    Great trip!
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 907 Officer
    Sounds like some good action. We have seen a few small cobia on the flats lately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,772 Captain
    Tom and Gail>> Great to see your getting out there again!! Louie's right, themz spme Big ol Spanny~Macz!!! I'm looking forward for those Gag fishin when the weeds go also! Nice report! Thanks for motivating me!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • Little_GeneLittle_Gene Posts: 370 Deckhand
    You know it's that time of year again when you log on looking for Ruff's Cobia reports. :smiley:  Good Stuff guys!

• nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,627 Captain
    Just start cutting the crab pots off. 

Works for me :)
  • wvinfl12wvinfl12 Posts: 247 Deckhand
    Once again, Ruff is at it again!!!!!  Great post and report.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,633 Captain
    Good dill, great report
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,882 Captain
    Some one brought up last years report. LOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]