Home General Paddle Craft

Advice on selling kayaks

jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
I didn't have this problem when selling my Hobie Sport 5 yrs ago, but now that I'm trying to sell my Revo11, I can't get any buyers to commit to the sale. The kayak is in good condition and I'm throwing in extras, but what else should I be doing? I've posted to Facebook, Florida Sportsman Forums, and Offer-Up. Offer Up is the worst one so far, nothing but low ball offers. I don't like craigslist because I do not want to give out a phone number until I know the buyer is serious.

advice anyone?
Hobie Kayak angler for life!

Replies

• cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    You can try here
    https://paddling.com/?lat=41.84&lng=-98.61&zoom=3

But IMO selling used kayaks for a good price is going to be hard. Walmart, **** and the big box sell cheap crap but realistically that's all most people need for a once or twice a year outing. Hardcore yak fishermen are your target buyers and it is a small community.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • dcrdcr Posts: 365 Deckhand
    I wish I could offer something. That's a nice kayak for a good price. This forum is pretty dead.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    Thanks guys, and I agree, this forum is a shade of its former self.
  • quatinquatin Posts: 598 Officer
    You've only had it out for a month, give it time. Anytime you try to sell something north of $1k, expect it to take a few months. I would put it up on craigslist, but only post an email contact. When people e-mail with interest and legit questions, give out a phone number.
  • davederbdavederb Posts: 887 Officer
    Jcanracer, there is a hobie fishing group on facebook that has lots of members selling stuff, including in Florida. With regard to Craigslist, you can post without putting a phone number and the buyer will only see a proxy (masked) email address and thats how you communicate. Limits your audience and sale though. Expensive items take the right buyer and may take a little while. This FS classified forum sucks for sales anymore. Just not enough people on it. GLWS
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

2017 & 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12’s
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 520 Officer
    jcanracer wrote: »
    I didn't have this problem when selling my Hobie Sport 5 yrs ago, but now that I'm trying to sell my Revo11, I can't get any buyers to commit to the sale. The kayak is in good condition and I'm throwing in extras, but what else should I be doing? I've posted to Facebook, Florida Sportsman Forums, and Offer-Up. Offer Up is the worst one so far, nothing but low ball offers. I don't like craigslist because I do not want to give out a phone number until I know the buyer is serious.

advice anyone?

jcanracer, I sell a ton of stuff on Craigslist and have your same concern regarding giving out my phone number so I developed my own technique that has worked for me. You have helped me so much in the past it's an honor to possibly help you now. Whenever I have someone contact me through CL and show interest, I have them email me "THEIR" phone number and simply explain that their are a lot of scams on CL and I want to be certain they are a real person with sincere interest. I've yet to have anyone refuse to email me their number who was a serious buyer. Good luck with your sale. I sent your ad to a friend BTW but they decided they aren't buying anything right now.
    Basstar wrote: »
    jcanracer, I sell a ton of stuff on Craigslist and have your same concern regarding giving out my phone number so I developed my own technique that has worked for me. You have helped me so much in the past it's an honor to possibly help you now. Whenever I have someone contact me through CL and show interest, I have them email me "THEIR" phone number and simply explain that their are a lot of scams on CL and I want to be certain they are a real person with sincere interest. I've yet to have anyone refuse to email me their number who was a serious buyer. Good luck with your sale. I sent your ad to a friend BTW but they decided they aren't buying anything right now.

Thanks brother, lotta sketchy people out there on Craigslist, so taking precautions just makes sense.
    BTW, had one potential buyer who came by last weekend and one viewing this weekend. Hopefully this will work out and I can go put down a deposit on the Compass at Nautical Ventures.

Now if only the weather would give me a chance to go fishing again...:rotflmao
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,042 AG
    you don't have to post a phone number on CL. at least you didn't use to, you would post an encrypted email address and contact people that way.
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • jbdba01jbdba01 Posts: 144 Deckhand
    I recently sold my boat...bottom line was I dropped the price every week.

I posted here, craig's list, boattrader, facebook, and tht.

Took 6 weeks - and someone got a good deal. Once it hit a certain price level I had 3 calls in 1 day.

That said supply and demand - it's not just a theory, it's the law.
  • saltlifedocsaltlifedoc Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    What’s your price at? I’ve been eyeballing ads for a few weeks now waiting for a deal on a hobie.
    Majority of offerings are hovering around the $960 mark. I don't even respond to the low ball offers on offer-up anymore. Are you located in Jacksonville as your avatar suggests?
  • AnchorDropsAnchorDrops Posts: 32 Deckhand
    I second the suggestion to post in local Facebook groups specific to kayak fishing. I sold my Tarpon 140 doing this up here in MI. Timing is everything as well. I posted it originally in June and there were no takers, not even sniffs, and then again in August and it sold overnight, had 3 guys practically bidding for it.
  • JoeBCJoeBC Posts: 608 Officer
    Sucks, but craigslist is the way to go, just make a separate email account and meet folks in public places, some smaller jurisdictions down here have CL sale areas in front of their police stations with security cameras and stuff.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,957 Captain
    It has been slow selling kayaks lately, I know several people that are still hanging onto them, waiting for someone to bite the bullet and pull the trigger. I think the market is slowing down due to saturation, plus there are newer options for peddle kayaks, so the Hobies are taking a little longer to resell. I have sold 3 kayaks in the past, all on Craigslist, though I have had them listed on multiple FB sites. Scammers on Craigslist are getting worse, as soon as I listed, I got 2 texts asking to pay on paypal and requesting my email. Paypal does not protect sellers, so do not give out any info regarding that. Lowering the price every month or so helps, and don't be in a hurry. Your buyer is coming soon :)
    Finally sold @ $900
    Time to save up a bit and get that Hobie Compass now!
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 520 Officer
    Congrats Sir and good luck with the new Hobie.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,259 Officer
    I sell about 80 Hobies a year and dont have any problems with craigslist. I have my personal cell phone number on as many as 40 adds. Now what I try to do is simply get them to go for a free demo, then the kayak sells itself. Offering s free test ride is the key to selling Hobies even to people who have tried a competing propeller style kayak. They realize right away the hobie is a better method of propulsion.
    Dont discount the low ballers as a waist of time. Treat them with respect. They are usually the ones who end up coming up to my asking price after the demo.
    $900 was really cheap for a newer revo11 Anything from 2015 on with new seat and gt drive I sell for $1700 to $1800. If it was an older model with standard seat and drive I could see $1400 to $1500.
    Hey Barrell, good hearing from you. I think my local market was flooded with Outbacks, so the smaller Revo11 with the old seat (it was a 2012 or 2013 model) just wasn't as appealing. Supply and demand dictate the market, and the demand was just not as high as I hoped. Such is life.