Home Fly Fishing

flamingo flies

noelg11892noelg11892 Posts: 293 Deckhand
hey guys im planning a flamingo trip with a buddy and seeing as iv never been there I was wondering what are every ones favorite flies out there? Back country on the west coast my favorite and most productive fly is a gurgler but what do you guys tie? It would be mostly tarpon and snook.

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,448 Captain
    Right now out on the coast the snook are chewing on nearly anything you put in front of them (at least they were on Monday...). There's a ton of bait along the Gulf coast now - mostly finger mullet (and a bit bigger) as well as clouds of pilchards (scaled sardines or whitebait). Every point that we checked held fish on a falling tide...

My favorite pattern there for beating the bushes is a simple fl. green over white clouser on a 2/0 hook (at times I'll do it with a fl. yellow over white version...). If you look closely you'll note it has a wire weedguard (pretty much a signature on any bug for the 'Glades if at all possible....

[img][/img][img][/img]hgedpui.jpg

This is another one of my signature patterns - the Silhouette (I've been tying it since the early eighties -at one time every shop I ever tied for stocked these - it's a great whitebait pattern in a 1/0 or 2/0 size - to mimic big threadfins - simply make it bigger - much bigger...)

[img][/img][img][/img]aFMWjyq.jpg

Here's a couple of small finger mullet patterns (the number of patterns that mimic little mullet is pretty much endless -everyone has their favorites - these are two of mine - the Woolhead sinks and works great around downed trees or other structure - the other is a semi-floating pattern for times when you can see the bait getting worked over...

[img][/img][img][/img]Lhtfgu5.jpg

[img][/img][img][/img]6QmgXaM.jpg

These are just a starting point - yes, Gurgler's work as well - but right now baitfish patterns rule....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • mpl1978mpl1978 Posts: 21 Deckhand
    You tying that wire weed guard or are they pre-attached to the hooks?
    The wire weedguard is a separate element that I add toward the end of the tying sequence. Each one is nothing more than a short section of #5 trolling wire with a tiny hairpin bend at one end. The hairpin end is tied into place with end sticking straight out until the pattern is finished -then the head is whip finished, the thread is super glued,and when dry the wire is bent into position, then trimmed. Once you get used to them it’s very quick to do...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • HambweldHambweld Posts: 218 Deckhand
    c7fce566a279549c91916599570082b1.jpg
    This little fly saved the day last fall for me down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good looking bug.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • HambweldHambweld Posts: 218 Deckhand
    Thanks capt! Craft fur cream & tan. Little copper midgeflash in the top. Spun some tan for the head. Touch of red flash underneath. Daiichi 3111 #1 & 25# mason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk