Quick....while the wifes in the shower.

xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,515 Captain
I hear the water start running. Out to the chum freezer I go and grab a bag of whole squid. Back in the kitchen I get a cutting board, making sure it is the one she only uses for onions. Open the bag, rinse and separate. Only time enough to cut up about ten ziplock sandwich baggies into perfect little bait catching squares. It's cut up and I'm finished putting it into the baggies when i hear the water stop. No time for panic. I run the squid out to the freezer, wash the cutting board twice, put it in the drainer. Wash and then wipe the counter top and sink with disinfectant wipes. I throw the wipe out the back door and go back into the kitchen. Oops! Almost forgot to dry and put the cutting board away. Don't want to have to lie my way out of this one. She emerges from the bedroom " whatcha doin'?" "Just let the dog out." Another covert mission accomplished. Tom cruise, who? Hope this makes you chuckle but it's a true story from this morning.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,472 Officer
    Timing is everything.
  • HARRYDHARRYD Posts: 201 Deckhand
    Education please . Whole squid was same as the frozen squid available at bait shops? "Perfect little bait catching squares" ? What do you fish for with these cut baits? Perfect size?
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,229 Admiral
    haha! i imagine not a wasted movement in all of that either. You're next mission, should you choose to accept it is to bag a cobia, Redfish, flounder, and red grouper all in the same trip. Good luck *mission impossible music fades out*
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • HARRYDHARRYD Posts: 201 Deckhand
    Was so caught up in education forgot to mention the smile I got from the story. I can relate/
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Bet your bottle of beer sitting on the window sill near the cutting board still smelled a little though...:wink
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,515 Captain
    HARRYD wrote: »
    Education please . Whole squid was same as the frozen squid available at bait shops? "Perfect little bait catching squares" ? What do you fish for with these cut baits? Perfect size?
    Yes, it's the same squid found at bait stores. I cut the squid into 3/8 inch cubes trying to leave skin on one side and then use it on small bait sized hooks to catch bait such as pinfish, grunts, blue runners, etc. I keep the rig simple. Hook, 20lb leader, swivel, and a slip sinker heavy enough to keep it at the bottom. Squid stays on the hook much better than a piece of shrimp and will out catch Gulp etc. Cutting it up ahead of time makes it a lot more convenient. I always carry an extra cooler with frozen shrimp for backup, and keep the squid chunks in there. I'll often stop a hundred yards or so West of cr1 and catch a few baits wghile drifting and then catch the rest, as needed, while we are fishing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Bet your bottle of beer sitting on the window sill near the cutting board still smelled a little though...:wink

Show me where that swimming hole is and I'll be your best friend for life. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,210 Officer
    :fishing nice prep
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,985 Captain
    Funny story.. a lot of work tho.. gulp pieces seem to outfish squid for bait in our experience. One gulp shrimp will last for 5-6 fishing trips
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 918 Officer
    lol
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,113 Captain
    My wife gets mad that I even use squid for bait instead of eating it for dinner.:grin

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Funny story.. a lot of work tho.. gulp pieces seem to outfish squid for bait in our experience. One gulp shrimp will last for 5-6 fishing trips
    In fifteen minutes I had enough bait chunks for ten trips and had done all the clean up. I fished with a guy named Mike that thought the same thing about gulp. I caught three baits to his one. He switched. You may have a different technique or perhaps bait responds differently where you catch it. When we used to go offshore for grouper, we wanted to maximize our bait catch. Pinfish and grunts from thebait store or boat are too beat up. Every minute spent catching bait is a minute not fishing for grouper. Now we catch baits for cobia or a big Jack which in turn is used for a shark bait.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    conchydong wrote: »
    My wife gets mad that I even use squid for bait instead of eating it for dinner.:grin
    It's our favorite appetizer. We got a large one once and grilled the tube(head). Basted wth butter and fresh lemon it turned out snow white and was delicious. Also not as chewy as the tentacles. Ever seen a squid lure? First time I saw them I had to get a couple. Probably the most unique lures I ever came across. I still have at least one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,673 Moderator
    The mantles can be split, cleaned and salted well. Put in a bag and leave in boat. Cut strips with a sharp knife and use. They rehydrate in the water and get plenty tough from the salt treating.

I smiled as well. :cool:
    "You'll get your weather"
    capt louie wrote: »
    The mantles can be split, cleaned and salted well. Put in a bag and leave in boat. Cut strips with a sharp knife and use. They rehydrate in the water and get plenty tough from the salt treating.

I smiled as well. :cool:
    Thanks. Good tip. It stays on the hook really well and that's probably one of the reasons it's so effective. You can usually catch several baits before you have to replace it. Fishing with shrimp chunks your hook is empty half the time. Well salted like you say even makes it tougher. You have to cut it off the hook at the end of the day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,229 Admiral
    I've cut up small pieces for my sabiki and the definitely help add bites.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Slo Poke1Slo Poke1 Posts: 315 Deckhand
    And I thought was going to have pics.
    Slo Poke1 wrote: »
    And I thought was going to have pics.

It's a little early for Halloween.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,627 Captain
    Manatee belly works pretty good as well.
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 555 Officer
    :thumbsup
  • ElapidElapid Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    too funny- have to share :)
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,260 Officer
    My buddy left a package of squid in his trunk for a week, almost had to sell the car.
    My buddy left a package of squid in his trunk for a week, almost had to sell the car.

They almost stink as bad as shrimp. Fishing down by sombrero reef down in the keys I sat down on some which made a big brown spot on my shorts. That's how I got squid marks on my shorts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 422 Deckhand
    Actually just sent your post to fishing friends in PA, NC and Nebraska! Great post! Truly humorous.
    SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,288 Admiral
    squid lure = 1 tube of two part putty and some # 8 brim hooks.
    Mix up the putty into small round balls (little smaller than a dime) around one of the brim hooks with the eyelet sticking out, then push the eyelets of 3 brim hooks into the ball (one on the bottom and one on opposite sides), let dry and paint white.

Offshore at night around the boat lights these work well, you can aslo attach a small strip a small pork rind strip to one of the hooks.
    Squid will attack the balls and get hooked.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    THINKICAN wrote: »
    Actually just sent your post to fishing friends in PA, NC and Nebraska! Great post! Truly humorous.
    Thank you and all fgor the kind words.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    squid lure = 1 tube of two part putty and some # 8 brim hooks.
    Mix up the putty into small round balls (little smaller than a dime) around one of the brim hooks with the eyelet sticking out, then push the eyelets of 3 brim hooks into the ball (one on the bottom and one on opposite sides), let dry and paint white.

Offshore at night around the boat lights these work well, you can aslo attach a small strip a small pork rind strip to one of the hooks.
    Squid will attack the balls and get hooked.

Great info. Thanks. Heres what we used. Squid latch onto them and don't want to let go. I've been told it's a mating thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]