Masking Your Scent/Presence In The Woods With Deer Tallow

woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 1,867 Captain
Now that hunting season is getting underway, I'll mention this for whatever it might be worth. It works for sure, but its so unusual a procedure that those inexperienced with it will immediately question how its possible!

First off, you've got to have deer tallow, and I guarantee you that unless someone reading this hunts with a flintlock or caplock, "you ain't got none"! But its simple to produce! Next time you kill a deer, carefully cut the fat away from the meat and put the fat in a small pan on the stove, and over LOW heat melt or render it down to a liquid form. Then pour off this melted fat into a quart Mason jar and when it cools down it'll solidify and be snowy white in color. Filter the liquid fat through a dish cloth or other piece of cloth to remove impurities, streaks of lean meat, etc as you pour it into the jar. (Usually deer will have little fat, but almost always there will be some around the kidneys. This is called "Leaf Fat" for reasons unknown to me.)

Then to mask your smell you simply melt down enough deer tallow to coat your boots well using a small 1" paint brush (use a new one!) WITH SEVERAL SQUIRTS OF ANISE OIL mixed in the liquefied tallow! You can get Anise Oil in the grocery store in the spice section. Not only will this mask the odor of your footwear and waterproof your boots, but the Anise Oil will draw the attention of about every animal in the woods, deer and especially Black Bears! I don't know why this works, but I have honestly walked through the woods, sat down to shoot a squirrel or two, and had possums, coons, fox (usually grays) a bobcat a couple of times, and bears (up around my home in the Southern Mountains) follow my trail and get right up on me!

Try this trick this year, and see if it works for you! Its not going to be a guaranteed thing for sure, but I'm betting that IF you are observant in the woods you'll see more for sure!

Replies

• EarlyRiser1EarlyRiser1 Posts: 121 Deckhand
    I think anise is the flavor in licorice. Would be an attractive for sure.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,351 Admiral
    I have over 300 Big honkin Cows on my Lease.
    A step in a fresh Cow Paddy makes me smell like a Food Plot...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • kci-miakci-mia Posts: 184 Deckhand
    I have over 300 Big honkin Cows on my Lease.
    A step in a fresh Cow Paddy makes me smell like a Food Plot...

We were told something similar while growing up in Central FL.
    We used to hunt in our citrus groves for hogs and deer and we were told to step both boots on a fresh citrus fruit on the ground before going out in the field. We were told the scent of fresh citrus fruit juice on the boot would help cover our scent. Not sure if it really worked or not but we shot a lot of hogs and deer.
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 802 Officer
    Every time my hunting area has cows in it i always step in a few paddies as well. Kinda like natural cover scent.
  • JPizzleJPizzle Posts: 241 Deckhand
    Stepping in cow patties sounds like a good idea until you climb down from your tree stand and your hands go on the same rungs your boot soles were just on.
  • smhsmh Posts: 217 Deckhand
    Sounds interesting! I might try it. Like you noted above, most all of the deer I've butchered here in Florida have had little in the way of fat deposits on them, with the majority of that being "globular" fat located on the inside of the body cavity near the kidneys and spine. I grew up in Indiana, and all the deer we butchered had lots of that internal fat. Additionally, they had thick layers of waxy tallow deposited over their backs and rumps (visible after skinning). Sometimes that tallow would be an inch thick or more. I'm not sure if this difference between northern and Florida deer was due to heavy diet of corn and soybeans (up north) or the fact that the northern deer had to prepare for harsher winters by layering on the fat. Anyway, your post on tallow made me think of my experiences growing up.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,351 Admiral
    JPizzle wrote: »
    Stepping in cow patties sounds like a good idea until you climb down from your tree stand and your hands go on the same rungs your boot soles were just on.

I already cut off my underwear to take a dump and ate cheese crackers and salami for lunch..suck it up , your huntin not going on a date.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 983 Officer
    I already cut off my underwear to take a dump and ate cheese crackers and salami for lunch..suck it up , your huntin not going on a date.

HaHa always a wise *** in the crowd. :)
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 983 Officer
    Censorship is Un-American **** (***)