Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Rough Day

Hit the SS on Friday around 12:30pm. Water temp was 81. Wind out of the NE and fairly brisk. Water was much clearer. Even on low tide, water was high into the mangroves. Lost a small snook near a pass. Worked the flat and just nothing happening. No mullet activity. No bird activity. Very little fish movement other than a school of small jacks. Only strikes were from needle fish. Lost another small snook that spit my lure near another pass. The incoming has just not been productive for me as of late. I thought if I hang around till the outgoing and set up in the same spot where I did well the last time out, I can save the day. Still working the flat and close to high tide. Storms threaten and then it begins drizzling. I finally catch a short trout. Wind picks up and raining harder now. Boats scattered earlier. I decide to just suck it up, get soaked and keep fishing. A big thunder clap. OK fork this. I headed to the ramp. This was the worst day of sw fishing I have ever had. I have had poor results on the Full Moon before, but this was God awful. I will never fish the day of the full moon again.
Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release

Replies

• winderbillwinderbill Posts: 302 Deckhand
    been there, done that. sometimes you go just because it beats doing nothing and any success you luck into is a bonus
  • humblerhumbler TampaPosts: 130 Deckhand
    "Even on low tide, water was high into the mangroves."

The tides have not been what was forecast all week. I'm guessing the NE winds blew a lot of water out and kept it out. the southerly winds yesterday and today pushed it all back in. Supposed to be a 0' low tide where I fished today but it never got near that and came right back in. Fishing was slow.

nice to see your reports again.
  • Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,300 Officer
    Thanks humbler. A big part of the problem is the influx of all the freshwater from the LMR. Just need normal conditions with cooler temps and things should pick up.
  • Matt822Matt822 Posts: 149 Officer
    we fished sat on the SS and did well in the morning on the out going. soon as the water came in we didn't catch much. water higher than normal due to the rain and hurricane that was in the gulf. saw lots of docks under water which means the fish have extra places to hide
  • Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,300 Officer
    That is what has been happening to me. Outgoing good incoming bad. I don't understand why there is such a big diff in my results. Were you fishing artis or lb Matt?
  • Matt822Matt822 Posts: 149 Officer
    white bait. I haven't yet tried that artificials this fall yet. there is still so much bait around its easy to get. for me its hard to catch redfish or snook when the water is high, you have to bang bushes all day to get bites. I prefer the low out going or low incoming but the tides have been high lately due to the excess rain and storms. Ive been fishing places I normally cant get my boat this time of year