Fish Identification Help Needed

Was fishing Weedon Island and casting to what I thought were a school of tailing reds. Hooked something about a pound or so that fought hard and had a copper color similar to a redfish. Pretty sure it wasn't a mullet, almost looked like some type of shad. Fish was hooked in the mouth not foul hooked. Sorry no pic as I was wade fishing. Any Ideas?

Replies

• New2FlNew2Fl Posts: 76 Greenhorn
    Forgot to add I was using a mirrodine.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,371 AG
    Google search whiting and look at the images.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    I looked up whiting. Didn't see anything that fit the description. These fish were feeding on the surface. Are there any kind of shad that would be in the Weedon Island area? It's pretty rare I catch something that I don't recognize at this point. Wish I had a pic
  • capt.pwatsoncapt.pwatson Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Could it have been a mangrove snapper? I've caught them before on grass flats throwing topwaters. It would fit your description well about a pound a coppery.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 590 Officer
    My guess would be a little jack crevalle; they can sometimes get a some gold and copper on them.
    Thanks for the input. I've caught many jacks and mangrove snappers, definitely not one of those. It had a longer, leaner body than a mangrove snapper. I was pretty sure it was a small red till I got it in. Maybe it was some type of mullet. I guess it's not impossible that it would strike a lure or accidentally get hooked.:huh
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,321 Officer
    bluefish?
  • BIGMANBIGMAN Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Bonefish
  • dpg7386dpg7386 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Weakfish ?
  • KortsmanKortsman Posts: 266 Deckhand
    Definitely a mako!
  • AlwaysLearningMoreAlwaysLearningMore Posts: 83 Greenhorn
    Possibly a redfish with no spot?
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 3,339 Captain
    Sounds like a whiting to me. They can get pretty red/brown
    You should have been here yesterday
  • jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    Croaker, the bigger ones will eat artificials.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,417 Officer
    The only one I know of that might fit the other descriptions and also look like a "copper tinted shad"?????????

Might be a sand trout........I could see someone thinking they kinda resemble shad.

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,330 Admiral
    croaker.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
    The sand trout is a possibility but I remember it being longer and a little leaner. If anyone has a picture of a croaker please post for comparison. Nobody seems to think it could be some type of mullet or shad?
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,282 Admiral
    Atlantic Salmon
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,549 Captain
    Small Snook?

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• AlwaysLearningMoreAlwaysLearningMore Posts: 83 Greenhorn
    New2Fl wrote: »
    The sand trout is a possibility but I remember it being longer and a little leaner. If anyone has a picture of a croaker please post for comparison. Nobody seems to think it could be some type of mullet or shad?

Mullet or shad wouldn't be likely to take a Mirrodine, so if it was hooked in the mouth then neither of them are good candidates. What makes you think it wasn't a redfish, which is what you originally had assumed?
  • Eric BEric B Posts: 129 Deckhand
    Probably was a redfish. Not all have false eye spots
  • GROUPER SCOOPERGROUPER SCOOPER Posts: 1,871 Captain
    Lizardfish
    Everything affects everything.You can't just change one thing.Every thing is connected.
  • SaltySardineSaltySardine Posts: 159 Deckhand
    One Fish, Two Fish, Redfish, Bluefish?
    Mullet or shad wouldn't be likely to take a Mirrodine, so if it was hooked in the mouth then neither of them are good candidates. What makes you think it wasn't a redfish, which is what you originally had assumed?

No spot, mouth was different and was leaner than any red I've ever caught.
    Small Bonefish maybe?? :huh :shrug

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 3,339 Captain
    Are we still doing this? This thread is useless without pics
    You should have been here yesterday
    Are we still doing this? This thread is useless without pics

Wait. Just when we were about to give up. Can't say for sure but it looked very similar to that bonefish pic just posted. It was probably the exact same size too. I just really doubt bonefish are in the Weedon Island area though but I must say that looks pretty close.
    New2Fl wrote: »
    Wait. Just when we were about to give up. Can't say for sure but it looked very similar to that bonefish pic just posted. It was probably the exact same size too. I just really doubt bonefish are in the Weedon Island area though but I must say that looks pretty close.

This is from Tampa Bay.......says St. Pete right on the guys ball cap........read article here:
    http://www.tampabay.com/sports/outdoors/bonefish-make-rare-appearance-in-tampa-bay/2183097

• Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 590 Officer
    We do have juvenile bonefish within Tampa Bay. We get larval juveniles from down south that settle into the bay and grow up through the warm seasons, but I don't know of any that have made it past their first winter. There are documented collections of small bonefish within the bay by FWC biologists, so it does happen.
    Wow would never even considered bonefish as a possibility. I can definitely rule out most other opinions like redfish without a spot or croaker. Definitely wasn't either of those. Certainly wasn't a lizardfish, I've caught plenty of them. I gotta say that pic really fits the profile but part of me just can't quite believe it. The profile and size were exactly like that pic.
    I'd also like to add although my forum name is new2fl, I've been here almost 4 years now and fish about 100 days a year, so you name it, I've caught it except tarpon. Taking a pic of a 12-14 inch fish just wasn't a priority especially since I was wading, but I wish I had.