Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Gear for Fort Desoto pier snook

I will be camping in Fort Desoto at the beginning of November and have heard the snook fishing is really good there on the short pier(videos). I want to make sure the gear is good. Is a shimano Baitrunner 6500 on a 9'0 Ugly stick rod to big or to small? I also have a penn 555 on an 8'9 Daiwa Sealine will roller guides and a Shimano told 2 speed 30 on I think a 9'0 rod. Is this gear heavy enough to land a big snook on the pier? What else should I bring?(plenty of rods and reels)

Thanks

Replies

• GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 316 Deckhand
    Ought to be able to hoist up a hefty Danforth with your tackle
    Try a medium spin outfit with 20 lb braid, and 20-30lb leader. Walk the beach early and late, and wade the backside in between.
  • SnookSlob1SnookSlob1 Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    Okay I have a shimano ultegra 4K on a 7 ft medium light rod that I use for snook , would that be good enough for the pier if I walk them down the pier to the beach? Also what's the bait like there? Do you just castanet what Evers there?whats the best time early morning and sunset?
  • GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 316 Deckhand
    By November most snook are well into their transition to winter haunts. As long as it stays mild a few will remain along beaches, and beach piers. Seeing them is one thing, coaxing a bite is another matter entirely. You can't imagine how many people dangle hardware and baits over their heads to no avail. Those fish have seen more ideas than you and I together. I think in a 24 hour period maybe there's a couple 20 minute period when it's on, and the rest of the time you're just fishing.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    Night snook at the gulf pier are easy to see, hard to catch. The problem is they are line shy. I've hookd-up on live bait with a #1 owner circle and 20# floro. Every time they've make a beeline under the pier and eventually broke me off. If you use heavy line they will be much harder to hook. If you did wear one out and get it under control have a pier net ready.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr