Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Good news, Flamingo re-opens tomorrow at 7Am - 7 October

Just got the word (10:00Am Friday, 6 Oct) that Flamingo re-opens tomorrow... Heard it from another guide then called the Visitor Center and verified it.... Yippee!!!

Now for the details.... The opening is strictly for day use only 7Am-7Pm. No facilities at all down at Flamingo - no bathrooms, no gas pumps, no marina store, etc. The nearest porta-potties will be at West Lake.... So we're going to be parachuting in then back out (bring everything you need since you won't have any resources down there).

Looks like I'll be fishing out of Flamingo on Monday....
Tight Lines
Bob LeMay
(954) 435-5666

Replies

• ReelthiefReelthief Fort Lauderdale Posts: 126 Deckhand
    Great news. Thanks Bob. Maybe see you there on Monday
  • GotTarponGotTarpon Posts: 167 Deckhand
    Good news bob post up a report, as I'm sure you will. Will you head out through WWB or try to fish out front. I wonder with the huge push of water through florida bay if it helped clean out some of the dead zone and might be a good thing for the ecosystem.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,725 Captain
    I probably do seven days in the interior for every one day in Florida Bay. This time of year I’m usually somewhere between Cape Sable and Lostman’s out along the Gulf coast....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • gladesrunnergladesrunner Posts: 122 Deckhand
    Thanks for keeping us updated Bob! I'll be out there on the gheenoe as soon as I can..
    BTW, I called the Park and got a bit more clarity.....

As of right now, the stretch from the main entrance to West Lake is open 24x7. The rest of the Park Road from West Lake to Flamingo will open from 7AM - 7PM daily. Many of the trails are still closed, and as Bob said above, no bathrooms, store, fuel, rentals at Flamingo.

The Buzzards and Crows have not feasted on weather stripping in almost a month, so plan accordingly:hairraiser
  • JWTJWT Posts: 712 Officer
    we fished out front Sunday & worked east out of Flamingo. lots of tarpon but got very few to eat. had to go to Dahlbergs because the fish couldn't see the fly. needed some noise to get them to look. the water looks putrid & the viz is less than 6". i was hoping that the storm had pushed some of the bad water out of the bay but it doesn't appear to be the case.
    You'll find much better water conditions north and south of the Shark river area.... and maybe some hungry tarpon on the large side.... Of course the "inside run" is a long one, 21 miles out to the coast through Whitewater and Oyster Bays.... That might be why my average day in that area has me clocking around 70 miles round trip...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • JWTJWT Posts: 712 Officer
    yes, you have to cover some ground now that fl bay is such a mess. i just loved the sight fishing out there when it was healthy. it was just nice that in a short trip you were onto some great flats! it is time to move inside anyways.......
  • hardwayhardway Posts: 113 Deckhand
    Went down on tues morning on the inside. There were six trucks in the lot. mosquitos were abundent. Buzzards just waiting. we rode from the ramp all the way to Ponce de Leon Bay. Most of the markers are gone. There were 3 trees just outside Tarpon Creek. Buttonwood canal was ok. Its a little hairy running when you can't see the markers. Don't know if they are broken off or just blown over. The fishing for us was hard but there were a coupla nice snook going home to supper at the dock. The water thru **** bay is black. After that it starts clearing up. Lots of luck Capt George the voice of experience
    Head's up
    I had my credit card info stolen at the Racetrack gas station on Campbell Dr off of Tpike exit 2. I used the card swipe at the pump.....The lovely people who stole the info ran about $100 in purchases at other gas stations before the card was suspended the next day.

I've been using that station for years without issue until now......BEWARE!!
    thanks for the heads up... If that Racetrack is getting skimmed I'd bet that other places are on the potential list as well...

As much gas as I use (25 to 30 gallons per day when I'm booked, 14-15 for the boat and a similar amount for my truck since I'm towing 200 miles per day round trip...) I've always worried about that sort of stuff but to date - the only time I've been hit it was either at a restaurant or someone using a made card shopping - that was probably from a restaurant usage earlier...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Flat NutsFlat Nuts Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    Second the tough run through Whitewater. Here is what I experienced this past Monday -

I put in out front and ran up the coast on Monday - Lake Ingraham was marked okay - same as before. Making the right to head north coming out of Middle Cape Canal - close to the beach it seemed shallower to me. I was there 3/4's of the way to the low and only had 1.5 - 2 feet off plane. Fished some creeks and kept heading north. TONS of bait everywhere - I should re-iterate tons of bait. Didn't see any bait getting hit. We had tough fishing - got two smaller snook and kept working north. The shorelines were very slow. Finally we hit a hole and it produced a 30" snook, a 26" red and a 22" red. I lost a nice snook that spit my jig back at me on its first jump and had a tarpon follow right to the boat both giving me the finger. I was fishing with my Brother from Connecticut and my niece (her first time in the park) and we fulfilled her slam - Porpoise, Manatee, and a Croc back at the ramp. She caught one of the snook on her own with a jerk bait and landed the large red as well with a finger mullet. Great to take someone new and show them how special the park is. Headed back through Whitewater and as usual it lived up to its name blowing a solid 15+ out of the east - Thank God it wasn't a quartering sea. Lots of trees down near the mouth of Buttonwood Channel and man did the mangroves get thinned out on the way back to the ramp. Finally after loading the boat on the trailer we were on our way out of the park and right on the side of the road was a big gator walking towards Flamingo - he may as well have had his thumb out hitchhiking. I have never seen that before. Got some pictures and put an awesome day in my nieces memory bank! As usual the place is magical!
    Great report, I figure that storm did displace the critters. In a few months they'll all be back where they usually are.... I remember after Wilma coming up on a full grown bobcat that was swimming from one island to another right near the Shark River. It was mid-morning and we were able to get within about 30 feet of that cat. He just ignored us and kept swimming across before climbing up on the far bank then disappearing back into the jungle....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • ReelthiefReelthief Fort Lauderdale Posts: 126 Deckhand
    Great report nuts. Thinking about giving it a try tomorrow. A tip on the credit card thefts. Always try to use a pump that is closest to the view of the clerk and give the card reader a couple of hard tugs before you put the card in. Card skimmers are usually placed on the pumps that tend to be out of view of the clerk/counter area. Unfortunately that's also the usual spot for the rec fuel. I'll report if I get out there. Tight lines.
  • Flat NutsFlat Nuts Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    I thought I had put this in my earlier post but.... The only markers I saw after leaving oyster bay headed back to the ramp were markers near trees. Maybe one or two in Whitewater proper. Talk about pucker factor thinking that a marker post is lurking just under the surface...

I read a poor guys post a few months back that he had hit one of the markers just under the surface and blew up his lower unit. Must be a few more of those out there.