Home General Hunting

Gator Sausage. Anyone Make It?

Wife and I process all our own game and I'm interested in making some alligator sausage this year. We were out in New Orleans a couple of weeks ago and had some that was pretty darn good. Tasted like it was maybe Cajun style or just plain pork sausage. Not sure.

I typically use AC Leggs or LEM seasonings. In this case I'll likely be going with AC Leggs for variety and choice.

Anyone have any recommendations on a particular seasoning choice of style?

Thanks in advance!
They Can't Us "You Should Have Been There Yesterday"...........Because We Were!

Replies

• cfthcfth Posts: 428 Deckhand
    We have and currently mark a variety of it from cheddar brats to breakfast.

We mix with pork but.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Capt. Grayson Padrick
    www.centralfloridatrophyhunts.com
    Alligator Hunts, Alligator Hunting Equipment, Alligator and Wild Game Processing
  • KayakMacGyverKayakMacGyver Posts: 1,010 Officer
    cfth wrote: »
    We have and currently mark a variety of it from cheddar brats to breakfast.

We mix with pork but.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10-4, sounds like I can do everything I do with venison then. Thanks!
  • lookinlookin Posts: 1,399 Officer
    It's also pretty good ground with no added fat/pork for making gator "burgers"...more like a crab cake with gator meat. I don't even grind it, just dice it with a knife.

You had your hands full processing that beast you kilt the other day, that's for sure! Biggest one we ever did was 10' 5"...said never again. lol Still do the smaller ones oursleves.
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 2,487 Captain
    Any idea how many lbs of meat you got off that beast?
    H20dad wrote: »
    Any idea how many lbs of meat you got off that beast?

134 which included the flank "red meat". Incredibly, Each jowell weighed 13 lbs! He weighed right at 500 lbs in the hoof.

Full disclosure, this is the first animal out of we've ever taken to a processor. There was no way for me to manage that beast in my small processing space. It was worth every single penny. We picked up the meat yesterday and will be further processing it ourselves over the next several weeks making things like sausage, jerky and now gator "burger". I liked that idea!
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,425 Captain
    I did 20# of smoked sausage last year.
    If(when) I do it again, I will cut all the fat off the pork and add (by weight) the pork fat plus MORE.
    25-30% for smoked. 20-25% for fresh breakfast sausage.
    I like the leggs seasoning too.
    Sure no expert but just where I am at with my experiments. Links came out dry for my taste.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,668 Moderator
    134 which included the flank "red meat". Incredibly, Each jowell weighed 13 lbs! He weighed right at 500 lbs in the hoof.

Full disclosure, this is the first animal out of we've ever taken to a processor. There was no way for me to manage that beast in my small processing space. It was worth every single penny. We picked up the meat yesterday and will be further processing it ourselves over the next several weeks making things like sausage, jerky and now gator "burger". I liked that idea!

Don't blame you one bit for dropping that one off.

What you calling flank / red meat? You talking about flank in traditional sense of word? I've always considered that poor mans white meat, but not leg / dark meat.

I just dropped off 4 at a new guy and asked for white meat and jowls. He called today and came it what seemed like a touch light. I'm wondering if he left out flat flank. Or if my estimation of "a touch light" is off, or if he trimmed really well, or if my previoUs guy had tossed in stuff not asked for.

I'm sure it'll be fine no matter what. Just curious. I know I get way off more than a deer than hired guy, but with gators my previous guy would get more than me. Granted a deer nothing like a gator and probably about 10x the experience doing it.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
    Don't blame you one bit for dropping that one off.

What you calling flank / red meat? You talking about flank in traditional sense of word? I've always considered that poor mans white meat, but not leg / dark meat.

I just dropped off 4 at a new guy and asked for white meat and jowls. He called today and came it what seemed like a touch light. I'm wondering if he left out flat flank. Or if my estimation of "a touch light" is off, or if he trimmed really well, or if my previoUs guy had tossed in stuff not asked for.

I'm sure it'll be fine no matter what. Just curious. I know I get way off more than a deer than hired guy, but with gators my previous guy would get more than me. Granted a deer nothing like a gator and probably about 10x the experience doing it.

If I'm processing the gator, I'm calling flank poor mans white meat too. Will use that as trim for grind and even fry it up. Ok, truthfully I'm giving that away to second or third degree friends. It's basically the exterior rib meat plus the traditional flank . Processor referred to it as red meat and I just used his vocabulary. I'm sure it may be referred to differently if someone else. Although, to me red meat is exactly as you described.

This processor didn't really do a good job trimming. Or I should say his help didn't do a good job. All of my gator meat has come back with a bunch of stuff I always trim off. Tendon, fat, etc. He charges a skinning/salting fee by the foot plus 2.50 per lb of meat you get back. So, it's not really in his interest to trim it up nice and neat. He's the only show in town so he gets all the biz. I'd happily pay an up charge to have it trimmed to my standards. But, I assume this may be a common quandary with processors and a primary reason I'm a DIYer through and through.

I got a tad more than 20% of meat back vs weight. With a deer it's almost always 33% of live weight when I add it all up. Gators it's usually around 25% (by estimate) if I'm doing a bang up trim job myself.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,668 Moderator
    If I'm processing the gator, I'm calling flank poor mans white meat too. Will use that as trim for grind and even fry it up. Ok, truthfully I'm giving that away to second or third degree friends. It's basically the exterior rib meat plus the traditional flank . Processor referred to it as red meat and I just used his vocabulary. I'm sure it may be referred to differently if someone else. Although, to me red meat is exactly as you described.

This processor didn't really do a good job trimming. Or I should say his help didn't do a good job. All of my gator meat has come back with a bunch of stuff I always trim off. Tendon, fat, etc. He charges a skinning/salting fee by the foot plus 2.50 per lb of meat you get back. So, it's not really in his interest to trim it up nice and neat. He's the only show in town so he gets all the biz. I'd happily pay an up charge to have it trimmed to my standards. But, I assume this may be a common quandary with processors and a primary reason I'm a DIYer through and through.

I got a tad more than 20% of meat back vs weight. With a deer it's almost always 33% of live weight when I add it all up. Gators it's usually around 25% (by estimate) if I'm doing a bang up trim job myself.

We on same page all the way around. Thanks for confirmation.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,834 AG
    Justin, who did you use? there is a guy out by me that processes gators. PM if you want his info.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    micci_man wrote: »
    Justin, who did you use? there is a guy out by me that processes gators. PM if you want his info.

Hey Tommy, it's him that I use. Absolute great guy and I'll use him again in the future without a doubt. I guess I just need to clarify what expectations should be as I've never used a processor before.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,834 AG
    10-4
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • LOUNGELIZARDLOUNGELIZARD Posts: 84 Deckhand

I usually grind all my gator meat add egg and Everglades seasoning and make great burgers with it I once through some bacon in and my whole family including young kids preferred it without bacon theyll even take it to school the next day for lunch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk